It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2009, 12:02 PM   #1
(female)

Sally51 HB User
The Diabetic Food Pyramid

This may sound like a strange question and you may think why is she asking but here goes.

I have been looking at this pyramid and it seems to me that if I am to eat as it says from the bottom up, I would be eating a lot of carbs, which is what I am to stay away from. Is it just me that finds that strange?

Old 07-08-2009, 04:45 PM   #2
(female)

mizplaced HB User
Re: The Diabetic Food Pyramid

Not all carbs are bad carbs.Some are considered free carbs because they do not raise blood sugar quickly. HIgh fiber vegetables are an example.High fiber slows down the absorbsion of glucose into the bloodstream.A small amount of protein and fat also helps to stablize blood sugar.Aside from the nutritional benefits ,this is why its so important to eat a balanced meal . In counting carbs ,you can subtract the grams of fiber from the grams of carbohydrates. We are all a little different in what we can consume to keep control of our diabetes. Some can have more carbs than others as certain foods affect us differently.For example I can eat potato without spiking too high but my friend cannot.Some things may not seem to have much of an affect until the next day .Let your body and your meter be your guide.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
(female)

Sally51 HB User
Re: The Diabetic Food Pyramid

As I have only been at this since just after the beginning of the year. I am still on a learning curve. And it is a big curve...lol. For me potatoes are bad, and potato chips are not. Thanks for your help

Closed Thread