HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Diabetes (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/diabetes/)
-   -   cold Breakfast Cereals? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/diabetes/702685-cold-breakfast-cereals.html)

Sally51 07-08-2009 07:37 AM

cold Breakfast Cereals?

I do love cereal, but finding it hard to find a low carb one, I mean really low if possible. I had oatmeal this morning and was surprised at the 20 carbs in a 1/3 of a cup serving. I have researched on the internet low carb cereals and I am shocked at what they thing low carb is. Kashi for instant, in the
30's. What are the options you have choosen?

Cora1003 07-08-2009 08:03 AM

Re: cold Breakfast Cereals?

I was on an insulin pump, so didn't worry overly much, but what I did like, that wasn't too bad, was a breakfast parfait. It was low fat yogurt (either the type that comes with fruit or I would add some myself) with all bran buds in it. You don't need much, it's filling and tasty.

Sally51 07-08-2009 08:12 AM

[QUOTE=Coravh;4032031]I was on an insulin pump, so didn't worry overly much, but what I did like, that wasn't too bad, was a breakfast parfait. It was low fat yogurt (either the type that comes with fruit or I would add some myself) with all bran buds in it. You don't need much, it's filling and tasty.[/QUOTE]

I do make those add blueberries or a mixed frozen berries for a desert for my husband and I after dinner.

I am doing the Weight Watcher thing like I posted about yesterday and keeping track of the carbs at the same time. The total carbs yesterday with Weight Watchers point system was 160. Higher then I would like but my reading stayed the same as yesterday..I will continue to watch everything and see how it goes. Just I love cold cereal, I will keep searching.

SamQKitty 07-08-2009 01:43 PM

I used to have mini shredded wheat (plain), but it was really spiking my blood sugar, no matter how much insulin I took. I've recently switched to plain cheerios, and seem to be doing much better. One cup has only 20g of carbs.

Ruth

Sally51 07-08-2009 03:16 PM

Thank you, they are also the cereal that I have found seems to be the best, but I do get the multigrain cherrios. Thanks, looks like I am an egg substitute girl and cherrio girl...lol.

tjlhb 07-08-2009 03:42 PM

Most dry cereals (even whole grain ones without added sugar) have a high glycemic index. Some hot cereals, like plain oatmeal, have a significantly lower glycemic index. Lower glycemic index foods may reduce the blood sugar spikes.

Note also that most dry cereals, except for a few old classics like unfrosted shredded wheat and the original style Cheerios, also have a high sugar content. Flavored oatmeals also tend to be high in sugar; better to make plain oatmeal and add whole fresh or frozen fruit, spices, or nuts if desired.

Sally51 07-08-2009 03:54 PM

[QUOTE=tjlhb;4032430]Most dry cereals (even whole grain ones without added sugar) have a high glycemic index. Some hot cereals, like plain oatmeal, have a significantly lower glycemic index. Lower glycemic index foods may reduce the blood sugar spikes.

Note also that most dry cereals, except for a few old classics like unfrosted shredded wheat and the original style Cheerios, also have a high sugar content. Flavored oatmeals also tend to be high in sugar; better to make plain oatmeal and add whole fresh or frozen fruit, spices, or nuts if desired.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, I was a bit surprised even at the carbs in plain oatmeal, but I do love it, so it will remain one of the things I have for breakfast. Is what I had this morning with some splenda brown sugar and milk.