It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2009, 02:46 PM   #1
(female)

uma_anne HB User
Burning & Buzzing Sensation in Feet & Legs

These last few weeks I've been experiencing burning in my feet and a buzzing sensation in my lower legs that occur mostly in the late evening. Generally speaking I'd been maintaining control of my Type II through diet and exercise such that my fasting numbers were around 95 and my post prandials were rarely past 110 or 115. I'm also on a nightly dose of metformin.

Then life happened and I got consumed with a big project at work. My diet and exercise went down the toilet. My biggest spikes were around 160 and my fasting numbers went up to 110; sometimes up to 115.

I thought that one's numbers had to be quite a bit higher over a long period of time to lead to diabetic neuropathy, but I'm wondering if even the short period of high sugars could be causing my symptoms of burning and buzzing?

I'll appreciate any advice or input here.

Last edited by uma_anne; 07-18-2009 at 08:11 PM.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:35 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User
Re: Burning & Buzzing Sensation in Feet & Legs

I can only share my own experience

In 98 I was seriously overweight and diagnosed with a fasting level well over 200, my 1ac was 7.8. But no neuropathy or sign of complications. I lost a lot of weight immediately, got my fasting to 92 within 6 months and everything was fine.

Three years later, in 2001, with fasting at 90 and a 1ac at 5.1, I felt a numbness in my toe that bothered me. By the time I could get an appointment with a neurologist, I was getting burning feelings in my feet, mostly at night.

The neurologist said I had very mild neuropathy and I asked him if could be related to the high glucose levels 3 years previous. He seemed doubtful because of the delay but could not explain the tiggling and burning. They measured the time for a pulse to get from point A to point B in my legs and I was very slightly below normal, yet the burning feeling was quite intense some times.

My GP did not believe it was diabetes related because my glucose was well controlled and tried several other things such as vitamin B12 deficiency. This required trial and error of B12 injections and I never really took it seriously.

8 years later, with good control of my levels, I still get this burning occasionally, but it's usually on for a week, off for a few months, comes back....but never seems to get worst in the last 8 years. I ask my doc about it now and then and he does not believe it is diabetes related because it come well into the period when my sugars were in control.

But they were never sure.

Also my sister, who has no diabetes at all, had the same symptoms and they were corrected with orthotics.

There seems to be many possible causes of tingling/burning and because of our history we tend to blame diabetes first, which may be misleading. Although statistically, it is the first place to look. They looked at Vitamin B12 defficiency, Thyroid, pinch nerves, and I know my sister had to do with having hyper flexible joints. You see, not all glucose related. And yes, I do notice that stress does compound things.

I would speak to your doc, try some ALA, and you may find it is something else or if like me will just come and go.

Are your symptoms 'symetric' ie does it occur in both feet ?

Last edited by itotito; 07-19-2009 at 06:42 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
(male)

PugPuppy HB User

As we speak, I am experiencing severe burning in my feet, especially the soles, in addition to tingling and stinging. I've been to both a Podiatrist, and a Dermatologist and my symptoms were originally diagnosed as "mocassin-feet" athlete's feet than the Dermatologist said I have Severe Allergic Contact Dermatitis on the soles of my feet. It appears I have neither condition, but what I do have is Peripheral Neuropathy of the Feet due to my Diabetes (Type 2). I've been experiencing this horrible pain and burning since May 26th, and have used every OTC cream and ointment for Foot pain I can find. The relief is minimal. All the reading I've done on the Web indicates there is very little treatment to be had for this, and you can only control the symptoms by using Analgesics and ointments to provide some of the pain and burning. The worst pain and burning is infact in the Evening hours. Diabeti-Derm provides some relief, as well as Gold Bond Pain Relieving Cream. I'm trying to find Zostrix Neuropathy Cream, but no Drugstores seem to carry it, so it has to be ordered.

Hope to hear from others who experience this horrible condition to see how you are treating your symptoms.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:25 PM   #4
(female)

uma_anne HB User

Itotito, I suppose you're right that it could be something else but we look to the diabetes first since that seems to be the most likely culprit. I actually have had bouts of sciatica on and off, so that might be it, although the sciatica only affects my right side. And per your question I do experience it in both feet although sometimes it feels worse in my right side.

Thanks for reminding me too of the alpha lipoic...I totally forgot that I have a bottle at home. I haven't been consistent about taking it but I should give it a shot.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:38 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by uma_anne View Post
I totally forgot that I have a bottle at home. I haven't been consistent about taking it but I should give it a shot.
I always had mixed feelings about the impact of ALA. My impression, having gone off, on, off, on...is that is done has some impact, although people, including myself, would hope it has a very visible effect over night. It doesn't, but I do believe it makes a difference.

As for your current bout with higher levels, every so often, maybe 2 or 3 times a year, my levels go up and sometimes for several weeks. I used to freak out, thinking, OMG, it's getting worst....Then for some reason, maybe a few weeks later, things come back to the way they were. No other symptoms, infections...that's just the weirdness of this condition.

That goes for the burning as well.

So when things seem like they are getting worst, I put the meter away, eat properly, exercise and re-check two or three weeks later. It has worked several times.

In May, I was working out a lot, my levels were very good. I slowed down on the training and my pre-meal numbers all went up about 20 points, morning, pre-lunch and pre-dinner. I restarted to exercise, no effect. Then about 3 weeks later, they were all normal again, without any real change in diet or exercise. Just weird.

While it's hard not to worry about these things, sometimes you just need to do what's right and things will just work themselves out.

Closed Thread