It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
(male)

Cined HB User
18 years old. Always hungry.

Hello.

I'm an 18 year old male from England. For the past 7 months or so I've been getting hungry ALOT, no matter what I eat. If I eat a big meal, 2 hours or so later I'll begin to feel hungry. Although my handsHand or foot spasms
Hand tremor don't shake, it feels like my body on the inside is actually shaking and I still to get a bit lightheaded. If I eat, these symptoms generally go away.

I used to suffer with chronic anxiety, but recently it has cleared up a bit. But I am absolutely terrified of being hypoglycemic, it worries me every single day and I wonder if the symptoms I'm getting are all mentalMental retardation
Mental status tests because I know anxiety can mimic quite alot of symptoms.

So, my symptoms are :

- Hungry about 2 hours after I eat, even after big meals.
- When I feel hungry, I get what feels to be a burning sensation in my stomach
, my stomach hardly ever rumbles.
- My body starts to feel like it is shaking on the inside.
- I eat 30 mins before I go to bed so I don't wake up in the night hungry, but when I wake up after about 8 hours sleep, I feel really hungry.
- When I get these hunger spells, I don't really have an appetite, I just have to force feed my self food to take the symptoms away.
- I have put on a lot of weight because I have been eating more in the day.

I always feel tired and have no energy. I had a blood test
done about 2 years ago and it showed that I was anaemic, however I took medication
and it cleared up and it didn't show on the other blood test I had.

Any information/advice would be appreciated, Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2009, 06:34 AM   #2
(female)

anonlexaprogal HB User
Re: 18 years old. Always hungry.

Have you been evaluated for reactive hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)? Get your blood sugar checked to make sure it is not high just to be sure there's no diabetes. Blood work doesn't really show if you are reactive hypoglycemic or not. But your symptoms sound a lot like mine before I knew I was hypoglycemic.

If you are reactive hypoglycemic make sure to cut the sweets. No sweetened sodas, juices, candy, pure sugar, etc. Make sure to have protein and complex carbohydrates (like whole grain/whole wheat breads). Lots of vegetables w/ your lunch and dinner. Fruit is fine as long are your eating a balance diet. Also, don't skip breakfast. Have eggs/egg beaters, whole grain cereals, etc. Eat snacks in between meals - low sugar granola, low sugar yogurt, fruit, cottage cheese, etc.

You can search for a hypoglycemic diet online. It's actually the same as a diabetic diet.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
(male)

Cined HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonlexaprogal View Post
Have you been evaluated for reactive hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)? Get your blood sugar checked to make sure it is not high just to be sure there's no diabetes. Blood work doesn't really show if you are reactive hypoglycemic or not. But your symptoms sound a lot like mine before I knew I was hypoglycemic.

If you are reactive hypoglycemic make sure to cut the sweets. No sweetened sodas, juices, candy, pure sugar, etc. Make sure to have protein and complex carbohydrates (like whole grain/whole wheat breads). Lots of vegetables w/ your lunch and dinner. Fruit is fine as long are your eating a balance diet. Also, don't skip breakfast. Have eggs/egg beaters, whole grain cereals, etc. Eat snacks in between meals - low sugar granola, low sugar yogurt, fruit, cottage cheese, etc.

You can search for a hypoglycemic diet online. It's actually the same as a diabetic diet.
Thanks for your reply. Well, I'm going to see my Doc tomorrow and I hope he just doesn't pass it off as Anxiety again. I'm getting really worried now though, it just scares me so much that I might have hypoglycemia.

Today I've felt week and tired and hungry. I woke up, ate some ceral, 2 hours later I began to feel hungry so I ate a sandwhich, that lasted for about 2 hours and now I've just eaten an orange because I felt hungry and now I just feel weak and tired again.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:10 AM   #4
(female)

anonlexaprogal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cined View Post
Thanks for your reply. Well, I'm going to see my Doc tomorrow and I hope he just doesn't pass it off as Anxiety again. I'm getting really worried now though, it just scares me so much that I might have hypoglycemia.

Today I've felt week and tired and hungry. I woke up, ate some ceral, 2 hours later I began to feel hungry so I ate a sandwhich, that lasted for about 2 hours and now I've just eaten an orange because I felt hungry and now I just feel weak and tired again.
Good luck at the Doc's. If your Doc tries to blame anxiety say "No. Do not just pass this off as anxiety. Explain to me why you think it's anxiety as opposed to something else?" Tell him/her that you think you may be having a "sugar issue". Make sure to ask him/her about reactive hypoglycemia if it's not mentioned as a possible problem. Or to at least ask to discuss how your diet could affect how you are feeling. Demand that he/she do so!!! When it comes to dealing with doctors (even awesome doctors), I've found you have to ask for what you want to know.

If you have hypoglycemia it's not as bad as it sounds. I've got reactive hypoglycemia and have been able to control it with my diet. It's a lot of hard work at first and then it just becomes routine.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:14 PM   #5
(male)

Cined HB User

Hi.

I purchased a glucose meter. When I felt the symptoms first come on, I took a test and it showed up at 5.8. Bare in mind I'm using an English tester and I think Americans have a different reading.

So, I ate, 2 hours later I tested it again and it was at 6.6, however I still felt hungry and slightly shakey. I had something sweet to eat and the symptoms kind of went off. Why am I getting these symptoms if my blood glucose levels are fine?

Old 08-12-2009, 07:01 AM   #6
(female)

ShellyBird HB User
Thumbs up Re: 18 years old. Always hungry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cined View Post
Hi.

I purchased a glucose meter. When I felt the symptoms first come on, I took a test and it showed up at 5.8. Bare in mind I'm using an English tester and I think Americans have a different reading.

So, I ate, 2 hours later I tested it again and it was at 6.6, however I still felt hungry and slightly shakey. I had something sweet to eat and the symptoms kind of went off. Why am I getting these symptoms if my blood glucose levels are fine?
Hey Cined..

I don't know if this will help you but I was having similar problems and started drinking this stuff called ReStore. Its made for Diabetics to give you energy but It has also helped sustain my appetite. I was ALWAYS hungry also and this has really helped me out. Its called ReStore Diabetes Energy Formula. I found it online when I was looking on google. I really like it.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:43 PM   #7
(male)

helpmeplease3 HB User

Cined I have those same symptoms, did you ever find out what it was? Thanks

Old 11-08-2009, 06:25 PM   #8
(female)

volare HB User

I can't agree with anonlexaprogal more. Excuse me for reposting something that I've said in another forum, but I've had almost an identical symptoms. Here is my story:

Low-blood sugar is in my family, but I didn't even think that was my issue at first because my symptoms were so severe I couldn't even think straight. My grandmother, father, sister, nephew, and myself all have it. Some say that it's not hereditary because hypoglycemia is diet sensitive, but a weak pancreas is affected by hereditary and is what controls insulin production in the body. That being said, high and low-blood sugar IS hereditary. I've had hypoglycemia since I was 12. My experiences with it used to be more physical (fainting and numb lips), but when I went through a very stressful time and lost a lot of weight due to not eating properly, I started having terrible panic attacks and constant anxiety along with dizzy spells, migraines, cold hands and feet, and shakiness. I was diagnosed as simply having anxiety and put on Xanax for a few months with no recovery at all. I started talking to a therapist, too, but it didn't make any difference until my father insisted that I have my blood tested again because he was convinced hypoglycemia was my real problem. (When he was 27, he experienced symptoms of panic, fear, dizziness, and restless sleep for many months before finally being diagnosed as hypoglycemic.) It's common that the glucose tolerance test doesn't always pick up a low, but it is the most accurate way to be tested. I still have my anxious moments, but I know then that it's time to eat. I snack every two hours, avoid caffeine and alcohol entirely, and keep my sugars to a very minimum. And most importantly, I eat the minute I wake up in the morning. Don't wait to eat! Of course I miss chocolate, but I'd much rather not have to worry about panic attacks and live my life again! Don't give up. The diet takes some time to kick in. For me it took almost four months to really start feeling better, but I noticed a positive difference after just a few days. If you don't have health-care coverage and can't get a glucose tolerance test done, try a hypoglycemic diet anyway if you have low-blood sugar symptoms. It's healthy for you. Eat lots of almost, cashews, seeds, beans, organic meats, fresh veggies, and whole grains. Drink lots of water. I drink organic soy milk that is sugarless, and I water down a little bit of fruit juice here and there, but I'm very cautious with sugars. My advice is to avoid the sugars and caffeine and alcohol especially during your first four months of the diet. Go to the library or look online for some hypoglycemic menus.
Best of luck to you all! You're in my prayers.

Last edited by volare; 11-08-2009 at 06:33 PM.

Closed Thread