It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2009, 10:56 PM   #1
(male)

jamman3 HB User
Unhappy urine smells like apple juice fruity

i.d.d.m. been noticing that my urine smells fruity my glucose avg. is about 250 i am worried !!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2009, 10:43 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User
Re: urine smells like apple juice fruity

With a glucose level that high, you are probably passing glucose in your urine.

The fact that it is passing in your urine is expected at those levels. What isn't normal is that you are that high. You need help to get those levels down.

You may want to post what your insulin regimen is, and some data so people more knowledgeable can maybe help. But I would suggest you speak to a doc, those levels are way too high.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2009, 04:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

That fruity smell is far more likely to be ketones. Are you testing for them? You can get a bottle of Ketostrips at any pharmacy. The instructions for testing ketones are on the bottle.

If you are producing ketones, it's because your body cannot utilize the glucose and is instead burning fat. Ketones are a byproduct of fat-burning. You need to keep a careful eye on this because high blood glucose plus ketones in the blood can cause ketoacidosis, otherwise known as diabetic coma. It is a very dangerous condition. However, your blood sugar would probably have to be higher than than 250, and you'd have to be producing moderate to severe ketones to cause DKA. DKA can come on quite suddenly, so you need to keep a very close eye on this.

Itotito is exactly right...you need to get your blood glucose levels down. And if your blood glucose is AVERAGING 250, then you are heading for some serious trouble in the not-too-distant future. Diabetes complications are almost always caused by running high numbers consistently.

Are you newly diagnosed? Are you testing frequently? What's your insulin regimen (type, frequency, etc.) Are you seeing an endocrinologist and, if so, are they giving you any solid advice as to how to get better control? Please do post back and let us know how you're managing your diabetes. There are lots of wonderful people on this board who can not only give you practical advice, but can offer emotional support as well. You need to get in better control ASAP, but you don't have to do it alone...we're all here to help.

Ruth

Old 08-24-2009, 07:37 PM   #4
(male)

jamman3 HB User

thanks to all that replied, Iam presently on 50u 3x daily of novalog also 70u am of lantus including 80u pm of lantus, I take metformin 2x a day 500mg. I take avalide fo high blood pressure also. I feel hungry every 4 hrs I cant sleep well at all. help!!

Old 08-24-2009, 09:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman3 View Post
thanks to all that replied, Iam presently on 50u 3x daily of novalog also 70u am of lantus including 80u pm of lantus, I take metformin 2x a day 500mg. I take avalide fo high blood pressure also. I feel hungry every 4 hrs I cant sleep well at all. help!!
Jamman,

That's a whole heck of a lot of insulin. I'm assuming, since you mention you're also on metformin, that you are overweight and suffer from insulin resistance as well? It may be that you need that much insulin due to your size, but I'm wondering if you could possibly be having some lows, too, that you don't recognize and, therefore, you might be having rebound highs? How often are you testing your blood sugars?

Ruth

Old 08-27-2009, 01:30 PM   #6
(male)

jamman3 HB User

I do have insulin resistance, I am about 35 lbs. over weight , I probably test about 4 to 6 times daily maybe more ,it feels like im obsesed with testing, I do get lows when i either dont eat something soon after my insulin, or do some kind of rigorous activity with the amount of insulin I take but for the most part i am pretty sedentary .

Closed Thread