It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2009, 06:47 PM   #1
(female)

ais106 HB User
Question Possible causes for sudden rise in blood sugar levels???

Hi everyone. Before I ask my question, here is a brief background of my diabetes. I was diagnosed last year in October with a fasting glucose of 305, and an A1C of 9.1. Cholesterol was also high. Since my diagnosis, I refused medicine and maintain control simply with diet and exercise. My most recent A1C was 5.8% and fasting glucose was 96. Cholesterol is all in range. In the past month I started to pick up my excercise routine and noticed that my sugars were even reading in the 70's when I would run, which is great!!!
THE PROBLEM, is that as of last Wednesday 9.09.09 my blood sugars are reading abnormally high and I have not changed my eating or excercise habits. I would test 140 to 170 after eating a grilled chicken salad (normal would be around 100). Today I woke up with a 178 glucose reading. It went down to around 120. I ate prme rib and salad for dinner and it went up to 225. I can not understand why this is happening. But here are a few things that I considered.
First, I got a flu shot on Wednesday. Could this cuase a temp rise in sugars?
Second, I ended up getting a head cold and cough from the flu shot and on Friday and Saturday took Advil Cold & Sinus. Could this have done it?
THird, I thought that maybe I was pregnant. But I took a pregnancy test and it was negative.
Other than those three factors everything is the same with my diet and exervcise yet my readings are out of control?
Does anyone have any advice, insight or feedback on what is causing this? Has this happened to anyone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: Possible causes for sudden rise in blood sugar levels???

Having a cold or other virus can definitely affect your blood sugar. I used to be able to predict that I was getting something because my blood sugar went up before I felt ill. See what happens once you are better.

Also, it doesn't sound like you are eating much carb. Sometimes (doesn't happen to everyone) when there isn't a lot of carb eaten, your liver will dump glucose into your system in response to demands for energy. This could be going on as well.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

I agree with Coravh..any illness will definately affect your sugar. I notice if I down my carbs too much I will get a higher reading in the a.m. I'm still doing the trial and error thing, so I'm still learning.

Hopefully things get back to normal for you, as getting such a nice A1C just on diet and exercise after such a high A1C is fantastic.

Well wishes, keep us posted how it is going. Sometimes this all seems like a rat race and can be VERY frustrating. JJ

Old 09-14-2009, 07:44 PM   #4
(female)

ais106 HB User

Thanks for the responses! I kind of thought illness might be the factor, but it has been so long since I was last sick that I couldn't remember if BS was affected. I am starting to get better and have noticed that my BS is starting to be a bit more reasonable. On the low carb note: I have been eating a low carb diet for almost a year- that is how I am able to maintain normal BS without meds. I will though, throw in some extra carbs to see if it helps.
It is scary when your BS gets out of control for no reason, huh? UUGGHH!

Old 09-14-2009, 08:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Glad to hear things are getting better. Stress, illness and a host of other things can affect your sugar. I seriously never knew it till recently when hubby got a nasty virus that lasted a couple of weeks. Although he has been on meds. for years, and usually has an a.m. reading in the 90-115 range, his numbers were all over the place. Once the virus was gone, right back down to normal range.

I also read where a lousy nights sleep can make you fasting numbers go up. Ya learn something new every day. I knew this stuff affected your BP, never linked it to BS. I have to have a snack before bed or my fasting numbers go up, guess it is that "Dawn" thingy.

Stay well, and thanks for the update...JJ

Closed Thread