It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2009, 08:40 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Question What number indicates pre-diabetic and diabetic?

In another thread I stated that my blood glucose test result was #100. Is that what they call pre-diabetic? Or is there another number for that? And what number indicates full blown diabetes?

When I went to my doctor after the test results, he did not even mention that this could be a problem. In your opinion, should he have mentioned it? Is it standard proceedure to wait for it to get worse and then prescribe medication?

Old 09-28-2009, 09:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: What number indicates pre-diabetic and diabetic?

I believe fasting bg's of 101-125 are considered pre-diabetic. With a fasting of 100, your doctor should at least have counseled you regarding diet and exercise. But because it wasn't over 100, I can see why he may not have said anything.

If you're overweight, you probably should do the best you can to start losing weight now, rather than waiting for the situation to get worse. At this point, you're really not even "pre", so it's not like you have to drop a lot of weight immediately in order to avoid going on medication. You have the advantage of having had an early warning, so to speak, so you can start to make modest dietary changes now.

Ruth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
In another thread I stated that my blood glucose test result was #100. Is that what they call pre-diabetic? Or is there another number for that? And what number indicates full blown diabetes?
Fasting blood glucose of 100-125 mg/dl is considered prediabetic. Higher than that (i.e. 126 mg/dl or higher) is considered diabetic, though usually after additional testing for confirmation. Some studies have found that "high normal" numbers of 95 to 99 mg/dl are an even earlier warning sign of increased risk of diabetes.

In additional a rising trend over the years, even within the "normal" range (of 65 to 99 mg/dl) should be considered an early warning sign.

Quote:
When I went to my doctor after the test results, he did not even mention that this could be a problem. In your opinion, should he have mentioned it? Is it standard proceedure to wait for it to get worse and then prescribe medication?
Primary care doctors do vary in what types of early warning signs that they are most likely to notice. Also, it was not that long ago that the prediabetes (then referred to as impaired fasting glucose) threshold was 110 mg/dl, so a primary care doctor who is not attuned to the latest diabetes news may still be basing recommendations on the older range. Presumably, the threshold was lowered because someone who reaches 110 mg/dl is less likely to avoid diabetes through exercise and loss of body fat than someone who was given warning at 100 mg/dl.

Last edited by tjlhb; 09-28-2009 at 11:09 AM.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Thanks for the helpful replies. I don't feel so bad now but I'm not taking it lightly. I have begun a new regimen for eating and exercising. My goal is to get my number down to about 75!

I have found that I can be just as satisfied by eating a lower volume of healthy food. I'm just eating less of the same good food and exercising more. I have increased the olive oil and nuts just a little to compensate for less volume of food.

I won't be retested for blood glucose until around May of 2010. When that happens I'll post the results, for better or worse.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Given that in another post you mention having a BMI of 18.5 (at the very low end of the usual "healthy weight range" or even "underweight" by some measures), and your diet as you described it elsewhere does not appear to contain obviously unhealthy foods (especially sugars and refined carbohydrates which may be most relevant if diabetes is the concern), it may be that the most room for improvement in your case may be increasing exercise. This may actually cause weight gain due to muscle growth, but that is healthy, unlike (in most cases) weight gain due to increased body fat.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:56 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlhb View Post
Given that in another post you mention having a BMI of 18.5 (at the very low end of the usual "healthy weight range" or even "underweight" by some measures), and your diet as you described it elsewhere does not appear to contain obviously unhealthy foods (especially sugars and refined carbohydrates which may be most relevant if diabetes is the concern), it may be that the most room for improvement in your case may be increasing exercise. This may actually cause weight gain due to muscle growth, but that is healthy, unlike (in most cases) weight gain due to increased body fat.
Thanks, I agree. Hopefully I'll gain some muscle weight by working out more.

The reason I changed my diet a little is because I didn't feel comfortable being overfull after meals. I think the reason I needed so much food to maintain my weight is because my meals were a little low in fat. Often, I only included one teaspoon of olive oil in a soup or salad. So now I have raised it to two teaspoons. Then I might have a few peanuts between meals or whenever I feel like I need them.

And I assume I need more calories if I'm working out more.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:19 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
And I assume I need more calories if I'm working out more.
Yes, that is generally the case if you increase exercise and are trying to maintain or gain weight. Also, sufficient protein is needed for muscle growth. Most people will get enough if they eat sufficient calories and do not eat a lot of no / low protein foods (added sugar, added fat / oil, fruit). Athletes, particularly those doing intense weight training and / or restricting calories, may need to pay somewhat more attention to protein intake.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:23 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thanks to everyone for helpful information and encouragement

I have some good news to report: About 6 weeks from the time I posted that my blood sugar was 100, I got retested at Walgreens and the (non-fasting) result was 83.

What did I do? I exercised more and ate four (smaller) meals instead of three. I think that's pretty good considering the short period of time.

And I don't find the smaller meals to be a big sacrafice. Not at all. As a matter of fact, I enjoy it and feel better with the smaller meals.

Thanks again to everyone.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:26 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

Hi John. Glad to hear that with slight changes you were able to get your glucose numbers down. Keep up the good work!

Old 11-18-2009, 10:36 AM   #10
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User
Re: Thanks to everyone for helpful information and encouragement

Quote:
I have some good news to report: About 6 weeks from the time I posted that my blood sugar was 100, I got retested at Walgreens and the (non-fasting) result was 83.

What did I do? I exercised more and ate four (smaller) meals instead of three. I think that's pretty good considering the short period of time.

And I don't find the smaller meals to be a big sacrafice. Not at all. As a matter of fact, I enjoy it and feel better with the smaller meals.

Thanks again to everyone.

That's great. You say it was non fasting. What time and how long after eating did you test ?

Old 11-20-2009, 02:54 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

itotito,

I finished my breakfast around 9:30 am.. I had to wait in line for a long time so by the time I got tested it was about 2:00 pm. and I hadn't eaten my lunch yet.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #12
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User

Quote:
itotito,

I finished my breakfast around 9:30 am.. I had to wait in line for a long time so by the time I got tested it was about 2:00 pm. and I hadn't eaten my lunch yet.
A couple of things

I am glad to hear that original 100 measure made you do some lifestyle changes that can do nothing but good.

Beware though that an 83 at the time of day and several hours after a meal is not the same as if it were taken earlier in the morning after a 10 or 12 hour fasting.

Several studies have shown that afternoon fasting tests were not as efficient at catching early development of diabetes. The hour of day and the fact you broke the fast give different results.

Don't worry about it, keep up the good work, but keep an eye on it now and then.

Closed Thread