It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2009, 08:40 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lady Lake, FL, U.S.A.
Posts: 1,549
JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Question What number indicates pre-diabetic and diabetic?

In another thread I stated that my blood glucose test result was #100. Is that what they call pre-diabetic? Or is there another number for that? And what number indicates full blown diabetes?

When I went to my doctor after the test results, he did not even mention that this could be a problem. In your opinion, should he have mentioned it? Is it standard proceedure to wait for it to get worse and then prescribe medication?

 
Old 09-28-2009, 09:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 3,549
SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: What number indicates pre-diabetic and diabetic?

I believe fasting bg's of 101-125 are considered pre-diabetic. With a fasting of 100, your doctor should at least have counseled you regarding diet and exercise. But because it wasn't over 100, I can see why he may not have said anything.

If you're overweight, you probably should do the best you can to start losing weight now, rather than waiting for the situation to get worse. At this point, you're really not even "pre", so it's not like you have to drop a lot of weight immediately in order to avoid going on medication. You have the advantage of having had an early warning, so to speak, so you can start to make modest dietary changes now.

Ruth

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 09-28-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United States
Posts: 1,440
tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
Re: What number indicates pre-diabetic and diabetic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
In another thread I stated that my blood glucose test result was #100. Is that what they call pre-diabetic? Or is there another number for that? And what number indicates full blown diabetes?
Fasting blood glucose of 100-125 mg/dl is considered prediabetic. Higher than that (i.e. 126 mg/dl or higher) is considered diabetic, though usually after additional testing for confirmation. Some studies have found that "high normal" numbers of 95 to 99 mg/dl are an even earlier warning sign of increased risk of diabetes.

In additional a rising trend over the years, even within the "normal" range (of 65 to 99 mg/dl) should be considered an early warning sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
When I went to my doctor after the test results, he did not even mention that this could be a problem. In your opinion, should he have mentioned it? Is it standard proceedure to wait for it to get worse and then prescribe medication?
Primary care doctors do vary in what types of early warning signs that they are most likely to notice. Also, it was not that long ago that the prediabetes (then referred to as impaired fasting glucose) threshold was 110 mg/dl, so a primary care doctor who is not attuned to the latest diabetes news may still be basing recommendations on the older range. Presumably, the threshold was lowered because someone who reaches 110 mg/dl is less likely to avoid diabetes through exercise and loss of body fat than someone who was given warning at 100 mg/dl.

Last edited by tjlhb; 09-28-2009 at 11:09 AM.

 
Old 09-29-2009, 09:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lady Lake, FL, U.S.A.
Posts: 1,549
JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: What number indicates pre-diabetic and diabetic?

Thanks for the helpful replies. I don't feel so bad now but I'm not taking it lightly. I have begun a new regimen for eating and exercising. My goal is to get my number down to about 75!

I have found that I can be just as satisfied by eating a lower volume of healthy food. I'm just eating less of the same good food and exercising more. I have increased the olive oil and nuts just a little to compensate for less volume of food.

I won't be retested for blood glucose until around May of 2010. When that happens I'll post the results, for better or worse.

 
Old 09-29-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United States
Posts: 1,440
tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
Re: What number indicates pre-diabetic and diabetic?

Given that in another post you mention having a BMI of 18.5 (at the very low end of the usual "healthy weight range" or even "underweight" by some measures), and your diet as you described it elsewhere does not appear to contain obviously unhealthy foods (especially sugars and refined carbohydrates which may be most relevant if diabetes is the concern), it may be that the most room for improvement in your case may be increasing exercise. This may actually cause weight gain due to muscle growth, but that is healthy, unlike (in most cases) weight gain due to increased body fat.

 
Old 09-30-2009, 11:56 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lady Lake, FL, U.S.A.
Posts: 1,549
JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: What number indicates pre-diabetic and diabetic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlhb View Post
Given that in another post you mention having a BMI of 18.5 (at the very low end of the usual "healthy weight range" or even "underweight" by some measures), and your diet as you described it elsewhere does not appear to contain obviously unhealthy foods (especially sugars and refined carbohydrates which may be most relevant if diabetes is the concern), it may be that the most room for improvement in your case may be increasing exercise. This may actually cause weight gain due to muscle growth, but that is healthy, unlike (in most cases) weight gain due to increased body fat.
Thanks, I agree. Hopefully I'll gain some muscle weight by working out more.

The reason I changed my diet a little is because I didn't feel comfortable being overfull after meals. I think the reason I needed so much food to maintain my weight is because my meals were a little low in fat. Often, I only included one teaspoon of olive oil in a soup or salad. So now I have raised it to two teaspoons. Then I might have a few peanuts between meals or whenever I feel like I need them.

And I assume I need more calories if I'm working out more.

 
Old 09-30-2009, 01:19 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United States
Posts: 1,440
tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
Re: What number indicates pre-diabetic and diabetic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
And I assume I need more calories if I'm working out more.
Yes, that is generally the case if you increase exercise and are trying to maintain or gain weight. Also, sufficient protein is needed for muscle growth. Most people will get enough if they eat sufficient calories and do not eat a lot of no / low protein foods (added sugar, added fat / oil, fruit). Athletes, particularly those doing intense weight training and / or restricting calories, may need to pay somewhat more attention to protein intake.

 
Old 11-18-2009, 10:23 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lady Lake, FL, U.S.A.
Posts: 1,549
JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Thanks to everyone for helpful information and encouragement

I have some good news to report: About 6 weeks from the time I posted that my blood sugar was 100, I got retested at Walgreens and the (non-fasting) result was 83.

What did I do? I exercised more and ate four (smaller) meals instead of three. I think that's pretty good considering the short period of time.

And I don't find the smaller meals to be a big sacrafice. Not at all. As a matter of fact, I enjoy it and feel better with the smaller meals.

Thanks again to everyone.


 
Old 11-18-2009, 10:26 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,750
Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: What number indicates pre-diabetic and diabetic?

Hi John. Glad to hear that with slight changes you were able to get your glucose numbers down. Keep up the good work!
__________________
Cora
Dxd T1 1966, 2001 dialysis, 2002 kidney transplant, 2003 insulin pump, 2008 pancreas transplant

 
Old 11-18-2009, 10:36 AM   #10
Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 385
itotito HB User
Re: Thanks to everyone for helpful information and encouragement

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
I have some good news to report: About 6 weeks from the time I posted that my blood sugar was 100, I got retested at Walgreens and the (non-fasting) result was 83.

What did I do? I exercised more and ate four (smaller) meals instead of three. I think that's pretty good considering the short period of time.

And I don't find the smaller meals to be a big sacrafice. Not at all. As a matter of fact, I enjoy it and feel better with the smaller meals.

Thanks again to everyone.

That's great. You say it was non fasting. What time and how long after eating did you test ?

 
Old 11-20-2009, 02:54 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lady Lake, FL, U.S.A.
Posts: 1,549
JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Thanks to everyone for helpful information and encouragement

itotito,

I finished my breakfast around 9:30 am.. I had to wait in line for a long time so by the time I got tested it was about 2:00 pm. and I hadn't eaten my lunch yet.

 
Old 11-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #12
Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 385
itotito HB User
Re: Thanks to everyone for helpful information and encouragement

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
itotito,

I finished my breakfast around 9:30 am.. I had to wait in line for a long time so by the time I got tested it was about 2:00 pm. and I hadn't eaten my lunch yet.
A couple of things

I am glad to hear that original 100 measure made you do some lifestyle changes that can do nothing but good.

Beware though that an 83 at the time of day and several hours after a meal is not the same as if it were taken earlier in the morning after a 10 or 12 hour fasting.

Several studies have shown that afternoon fasting tests were not as efficient at catching early development of diabetes. The hour of day and the fact you broke the fast give different results.

Don't worry about it, keep up the good work, but keep an eye on it now and then.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
when & what tests needed for pre-diabetes? peace4health Diabetes 18 06-17-2009 11:19 AM
day # 3 - what do you do about the freaking boredom while on crutches? itsanewme Foot & Ankle Problems 35 06-02-2008 03:41 PM
What should I do? vonnag Multiple Sclerosis 11 03-15-2008 07:22 AM
Any that can help tell me what my grandsons prescription is cadenbaby Eye & Vision 1 10-23-2007 05:14 AM
Need to know abt Cancer, how it forms and what is the process, it making in body-reg shinojmahe Cancer 1 10-12-2007 02:39 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Actos
Amaryl
Avandia
Glipizide Glucophage
  Humalog
Lantus
Metformin
Novolog
Potassium




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



Cora1003 (68), SamQKitty (60), JJ (34), Azurah (17), 92261 (12), rosier (7), Machaon (5), sunshine12 (5), Laura789 (5), ladybud (5)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1013), Apollo123 (910), Titchou (859), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (763), ladybud (755), midwest1 (671), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:33 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!