It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2009, 03:32 PM   #1
(female)

dewing HB User
which is worse to have Type 1 or Type 2?

I am a newly diagnosed Type 2 diabetic (only diagnosed last month) and wondred is it worse to be a Type 1 or Type 2 or is it basically the same?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2009, 04:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

friendsville HB User
Re: which is worse to have Type 1 or Type 2?

I believe that type 1 is from birth,and is life long,insulin required daily or therabouts.Type 2 is contracted later in life, and can usually be controlled by diet and insulin shots,when
and if required. Serious consequences can arise, if ignored. Good luck Bill

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2009, 06:27 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

almonkey HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewing View Post
I am a newly diagnosed Type 2 diabetic (only diagnosed last month) and wondred is it worse to be a Type 1 or Type 2 or is it basically the same?
Type I is when the body turns on itself and cannot make insulin. Insulin is required to be injected to live. Type 1 is positively identified when a person tests positive for a Gad 65 antibody. Type 1 can effect babies, children, teens, adults, and the elderly. It use to be thought it occurred only to the young and was called juvenile diabetes. It is now known that type 1 can effect any age group but is formally diagnosed when the antibody is present. At this time there is no cure.

Type 2 is also seen in different ages but is usually caused by excess body fat-fat is a hormone too- Type 2 is usually a progressive disease but can be stalled by loosing weight and exercise and even reversed. It is usually treated in the beginiing with pills but studies show to control blood sugars, 7 of 10 people will eventually need insulin.

The complications that may occur from either type 1 or 2 can be horrible. The key is controlling blood sugars. Unfortunately, a person with Type 1 has no control to reverse or stall their disease like a person with Type 2 does. I dont think there is really an answer to your question, just opinions.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Al...you know I have to jump in here just to let Dewing know that while T2 is USUALLY triggered by excess body fat, it also has a very strong genetic component, and even very thin people can get T2. But certainly keeping within the normal weight range is a big key in both preventing it and in treating it.

Neither one is "worse" or "better"...they both can cause serious complications if not well controlled.

Ruth

Old 11-10-2009, 09:43 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

armohan88 HB User

Thanks for this useful discussion. < edited >

Last edited by hb-mod; 11-11-2009 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Disallowed link

Old 11-10-2009, 10:35 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamQKitty View Post
Al...you know I have to jump in here just to let Dewing know that while T2 is USUALLY triggered by excess body fat, it also has a very strong genetic component, and even very thin people can get T2. But certainly keeping within the normal weight range is a big key in both preventing it and in treating it.
The other key with dealing with type 2 is exercise.

Of course, genetic factors may mean that one person may be able to eliminate drug use with just moderate exercise and maintaining ordinary non-obese levels of body fat, while another may need to exercise like and athlete and maintain athlete levels of body fat, while yet another may still need drugs to normalize blood sugar despite exercising like an athlete and maintaining athlete levels of body fat (although s/he will likely need less drugs than if s/he exercised less or none and had more body fat).

Type 1 diabetics need to inject insulin no matter what, unless they receive a pancreas transplant. A pancreas transplant is not generally done by itself, because immunosuppression drugs may cause worse problems than diabetes (e.g. poor resistance to infection, higher risk of cancer), although it may be done if the person needs some other transplant and will be taking immunosuppression drugs anyway.

Last edited by tjlhb; 11-10-2009 at 10:37 PM.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:35 PM   #7
(male)

ThoseBackPages HB User

They both suck eggs
Weight at diagnosis: 268
Current Weight: stopped checking at 160 in an attempt to gain weight

Eat to live, don't live to eat

Old 12-18-2010, 12:33 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User

Yeah, ha, they do both suck. However, statistically speaking, type 1 is much worse. Oxidative stress is much, much higher in type 1's and roughly 99% of all diabetic-onset damage, such as blindness and kidney failure, are from type 1 diabetes, not type 2. Once damage starts in type 1 it seems to get exponentially worse, for apparently no reason. Usually, the factors leading up to type 2 diabetes are what can kill a person; type 1 diabetes directly kills the person. Neither are good and both sets of people should do everything they can to lead a healthier life. You can never be too healthy.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:53 AM   #9
(male)

LP123 HB User

Yeah, type 1 is way worse IMHO. Type 2 may even be cured with the right strategy.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #10
(female)

nycdmt1 HB User

Of course type 2 has a strong genetic component but there are studies that also show that the genetic components also carryover into obesity, so there's the link again. MOST type 2 diabetics are overweight and therefore are more likely to develop more microvascular complications.

type 1s, however, tend to have the disease longer so they are also likely to develop the same complications if not sufficiently controlled.

I happen to think type 1 diabetes is worse because with taking insulin each and everyday you run the risk of more hypo episodes and seizures (I've had countless seizures and wear a continuous glucose monitor to help avoid them) so it's harder in terms of the whole balancing act. type 2s have a lot to worry about with what they eat, but type 1s have more to worry about with what they eat, what activities they do, travelling, excess medical supplies, etc.

Closed Thread