It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2009, 10:30 AM   #1
(female)

dawnjyc HB User
found out could be diabetic

I have not been feeling well for quite a long time. Been through many many blood test with my regular doctor. My CBC sugar levels came back as 111 and my regular doctor said well its elevated but not much to be concerned with. Through many different visits with different types of doctors I have found a new Gyno which I love-I guess because she takes me seriously. She received a copy of my file from my regular doctor and said that my sugar level was a concern to her because I was fasting so she ordered me to have a glucose tolerance test. I was to fast for the test, nothing after midnight. To play it safe I had nothing to eat or drink after 10 pm and went in for my test at 830 the next morning. Before they did the glucose tolerance test they did a urine panel test. I don't know what this means but they said my urine showed 1000 mg and told me that was considered a 4 plus with one stage off of being hospitalized. They told me that my urine test should have showed 0 or negative and I was at a 1000. I wasn't allowed to do the glucose tolerance test for the fear that I would end up in a diabetic coma. Pretty scary. So they took more blood to check my hemoglobin levels and sent me on my way....told me that they would be in touch when the results came back in.

What does this mean? Am I diabetic? I am scared out of my mind to eat anything sweet for fear that I may end up in the hospital. What do I do while I wait?

edit after reading through the boards: after reading through these boards I am now very concerned. Part of my not feeling well has been severe headaches with blurry (even as I type this) and even double vision and severe numbness in tingling in my arms and legs. So much so that I had an MRI done of my head and get my results Wednesday. I am wondering if this is all diabetes related. I am extremely fatigued, get extremely lighthead and I told my regular doctor that I am so thirsty when I wake up in the mornings that I know I am in pure dehydration and he didnt seem to be concerned so neither was I but now I am. I also have severe diahrreah-embarrassing to say but I do. And my mother is type 2 diabetic. My Great grandmother was type 1 I believe. I am very scared for my health.

Last edited by dawnjyc; 11-14-2009 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Reading through the boards

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2009, 11:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: found out could be diabetic

Not sure what this means because you didn't give a specific about the urine test. I'm wondering if it was for ketones? If you're spilling ketones, it would definitely have been dangerous for you to have a GTT, as the combination of high ketones and high blood sugar could, indeed, throw you into diabetic ketoacidosis (diabetic coma).

From all the symptoms you're describing, and assuming the 1,000 was ketones, then I would guess that you are probably diabetic and, quite possibly, Type 1. The next tests that should be done are an HbA1c, which will show your average blood glucose over the past 8-12 weeks...this catches every second of that time period, as opposed to random blood sticks which only capture one moment in time. It's possible that your fasting bg isn't all that high just yet (111 would be in the pre-diabetic range), but the fasting numbers are often the last to go. The other two test that should be done would be a C-peptide test and a GAD antibody test. These will show how much insulin you're producing (even T1's can produce some insulin in the honeymoon phase), and whether or not you're positive for GAD antibodies, which are only present in T1.

Of course, it's possible you're a Type 2, but either way, if you're diabetic, it needs to be treated...and determining which type you may be will help determine how to treat it.

Since your gynecologist sound pretty on top of things, I would just ask her to do the tests to determine what's going on. If you do turn out to have diabetes, I'd definitely ask her for a referral to a good endocrinologist, as they are the doctors who specialize in treating diabetes.

As scary as this may be, try to keep in mind that once you get a diagnosis and proper treatment, you will start feeling a whole heck of a lot better. Also, nowadays diabetes can be managed very well and complications can definitely be avoided by good management.

Ruth

Old 11-14-2009, 01:38 PM   #3
(female)

dawnjyc HB User

Thank you Ruth. I guess knowing what is actually wrong with me, helps relieve the stress of what I have been going through because now I can be proactive and treat it and I am so looking forward to feeling better but I am a little unnerved that it is Diabetes. I guess most of you here would probably agree with me.

I will be honest I don't know if the urine test was for ketones or glucose levels. Does that determine if it is Type 1 or 2? I am overweight so I just assumed it was type 2. They did do some blood testing...I am not sure what all for other than the hemoglobin levels.

In the interim, I ran out to the pharmacy this morning and purchased one of those cheapo blood glucose kits and it was 187 two hours after lunch. I know that is high but is that considerably high?

Last edited by dawnjyc; 11-14-2009 at 01:39 PM.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:52 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

almonkey HB User

People with diabetes are asked to keep their blood sugars after meals under 140. Im glad you like your gyn and its awesome that she participates and makes recommendations for your care but I would look for an Internal Medicine doctor who specializes or at least agressively treats diabetes. Since you have a meter, keep a log of your blood sugar. Test every morning before you have had anything to eat and 2 hrs after a breakfast the first day, lunch the second, and dinner the third. Also test anytime you feel horrible. Record these numbers with dates/times/and if post meal what you have eaten. When you get your lab results you will also have a daily picture for your doc. Read and educate yourself. Knowledge is power. If you have a blood sugar over 350, have someone take you to a immediate care center or emergency room. There they can recommend and refer.

Closed Thread