It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2009, 05:55 AM   #1
(male)

aobeng HB User
Diabetes and Calf, Leg Pains and Numb Feet

I've had diabetes for the past four years and have been on Metformin and Daonil. For the nearly six months I've been having these pains and have difficulty in walking and climbing a flight of stairs. My feet are numb when I lie down in the night to sleeps. I can hardly stand upright sometime and wobble when walking. The las time I did an FBS was a couple of months ago and the reading was 331.2 mmol/L (18.4mg.dL) Please somebody help me

Old 11-23-2009, 06:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: Diabetes and Calf, Leg Pains and Numb Feet

You need to see your doctor immediately. Your diabetes regime (drugs, diet, exercise, whatever) is currently not working. Your fasting level is more than 3 times what it should be. The pain and wobblieness is quite possibly nerve damage. The good news is that with tight control, this can go away.

Sorry to be so harsh, but those levels of glucose are dangerous and you are seeing signs of that already. Talk to your doctor and also a nutritionist. What is your diet like? Do you eat a lot of carbs? Many people have a lot of success with eating low carb and exercising.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2009, 07:31 AM   #3
(male)

aobeng HB User

I realize I've not been taking good care of myself. I eat almost everything and only try and avoid sugar. I drink a lot of "sugar free" fruit juice which I think is also a problem. I hardly exercise. The last time I saw a my doctor with these very complaints, he just added more metformin and daonil and ibuprfen (for the pains). Do I have to change my doctor?

Old 11-23-2009, 07:48 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aobeng View Post
I realize I've not been taking good care of myself. I eat almost everything and only try and avoid sugar. I drink a lot of "sugar free" fruit juice which I think is also a problem.
You need to get on an appropriate, low carb, small meal, frequent eating diet, through a qualified medical professional. Diabetes can rot every organ, gland, nerve ending and bone in your body, including your eyes, heart, kidneys, etc.

Quote:
I hardly exercise.

What do you think about your lack of exericise?

Quote:
The last time I saw a my doctor with these very complaints, he just added more metformin and daonil and ibuprfen (for the pains). Do I have to change my doctor?
Your doctor is just another joe like you, who chose medicine as a trade instead of fixing cars. You need to tell him what kind of treatment you need, such as a healthy diet tailored for Diabetics. He should have this information available to him.

When it comes to living with Diabetes with a good quality of life, the most important two "medicines" are diet and exercise. All of the metformin in the world can't make up for a bad diet.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 11-23-2009, 08:45 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

Quote:
I realize I've not been taking good care of myself. I eat almost everything and only try and avoid sugar. I drink a lot of "sugar free" fruit juice which I think is also a problem. I hardly exercise. The last time I saw a my doctor with these very complaints, he just added more metformin and daonil and ibuprfen (for the pains). Do I have to change my doctor?
Unfortunately, fruit juice, by it's very nature is simply sugar water with vitamins and minerals and some antioxidants depending on the color. It is very high in carbohydrates. Do you count carbs? This would be a good place to start. Get your doctor to send you to either (or both) a diabetes education class (to refresh you) and a nutritionist.

Give you doc a chance. Maybe because you aren't putting in as much effort as you can he isn't either. Make sure you educate yourself about what you eat (read labels and look things up) and try to "eat to your meter". See what foods spike you and what you can and can't eat. If something makes you go too high, then try to avoid that food or only eat it rarely and in very small portions.

The good news is that you can get control and feel well. It does take a lot of work, but it is worth it. If your doc doesn't want to work with you, then yes, maybe find a new one. But in the meantime you have a lot of work to do as well and maybe he/she can meet you half way.

Try to add a bit of walking. It will help with the pain, blood flow, and also your blood sugar. Add a bit more every time you go and soon you will be able to do more than you imagined.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:46 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Aobeng,

I just have to reiterate everything Cora said, and some of what Machoan said, with the caveat that it may be that your diabetes is advanced enough that you may also need insulin.

Regardless...you cannot expect your doctor to simply prescribe some "magic pill" that will take care of everything. Managing diabetes takes a close collaboration between doctor and patient, and a lot of the burden is on the patient to take care of him/herself. One needs to learn about carbohydrates and portion control, as well as how to balance meals. One needs to be committed to at least some form of exercise daily.

If you are not willing to do the work necessary to keep your diabetes in check, then the best doctor in the world will not be able to help you prevent complications.

Managing diabetes can be a bit time-consuming, but surely YOU are worth it?!

Ruth

Old 02-16-2010, 01:55 AM   #7
(male)

aobeng HB User

At long last, I've got on to a rigid manaement regime. I've been taken off tabs and put on insulin. My blood glucose is reducing, ketones, negative ECG and all other tests I'm told is Ok. However, urine glucose is positive (+++). I've starting walking well and can stand upright without wobbling. Light exercise is helping too. I think I'm on the way.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:30 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
At long last, I've got on to a rigid manaement regime. I've been taken off tabs and put on insulin. My blood glucose is reducing, ketones, negative ECG and all other tests I'm told is Ok. However, urine glucose is positive (+++). I've starting walking well and can stand upright without wobbling. Light exercise is helping too. I think I'm on the way.
Excellent. Taking insulin is work too, of course, but in some ways it is easier. You will need to learn what your insulin to carb ratio is (how many grams of carb you can eat per unit of fast acting insulin) and what your insulin sensitivity factor is (how many points 1 unit of insulin will bring you down). With these tools you will be able to get excellent control.

Keep up the good work.

Closed Thread