It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2009, 02:32 PM   #1
(female)

dewing HB User
Is fruit best eaten as a snack or with a meal?

I don't eat much fruit since being diagnosed as Type 2 because on the occasions that i have eaten it, it has raised my BS levels although i understand that berries are OK (i've yet to experiment with them). Would it be better to have them as a snack or to eat them as a dessert after a main meal? i just feel i need to include some fruit in my diet considering i used to eat 2 - 3 portions of fruit a day pre-diagnosis.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:37 PM   #2
(female)

interstate495 HB User
Re: Is fruit best eaten as a snack or with a meal?

Hi Dewing
I eat 2 pcs of fruit a day usually a pear and an apple but with each piece of fruit I always eat some protein like a handful of nuts or a few pcs of cheese.
The diabetic nurse told me that by eating some protein with it when the blood sugar starts to come down the protein kicks in and keeps the blood sugar steady rather than it coming down quickly. so you don't get the spikes.

ps. what part of England are you from.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2009, 01:27 PM   #3
(female)

dewing HB User

that is a good bit of advice, thanks. I had 50g of tinned apricots in fruit juice for dessert tonight after my main meal which had some protein so will see what my reading will be in a couple of hours time. I come from the East Midlands, Leicestershire in England.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:28 PM   #4
(female)

interstate495 HB User

I noticed you were giving your BS readings in mmol, I was born & raised in Liverpool
England and moved to the USA in 1991.
I have found by eating a protein with fruit it doesn't seem to raise the blood sugar the same as if I just ate a fruit on it's own. If I have a couple of glasses of wine at the weekends I always eat some pistachio nuts or some cheese with it and I have been getting good numbers in the morning.
my first A1C is on January 20th so I am hoping for a good one. I have nearly lost 18 lbs so 3 lb of a stone and 1/2 also.
Good luck on your journey to better health.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:42 PM   #5
(female)

dewing HB User

My reading tonight was 8.6 (i've had lower) but i suppose it's not too bad and i wonder if it would have been lower without the apricots but i will have to have the same meal again without the dessert and see next time. I have weighed out 30g of blackberries and will have them with porridge tomorrow morning and see what the BS will be, i also have weighed out 15g of nuts which i take to work and eat as a snack when i get really hungry. I have my first test on 5 Jan so will see what it shows and i too have lost quite a lot of weight, another 6lbs and i will have lost 2 stones but i do have a long way to go to reach goal weight. With all the support and advice on these boards we should do OK

Old 12-10-2009, 05:59 PM   #6
(female)

interstate495 HB User

I wouldn't eat any fruit out of a can, Fresh fruit is best, I have a pear with slices of cheese or an apple with a handful of nuts, you need to eat then together, the diabetic nurse told me to keep to 50 gram of carbs per meal and 15 carbs per snack if you had 50 gram of carbs just in your fruit for desert then whatever you ate for your main meal you would have been well over the carbs for that meal, I have a grilled chicken breast with no skin that is zero carbs and some saute vegtables in olive oil or I might have a piece of fish and vegetables the fish has no carbs and then for desert some cheese & crackers or strawberries and they have a light whip topping over here I am sure they have something similar there and two tablespoons are only 2 carbs.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:34 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

dewing..50grams of fruit along with a meal is a bit much. Your entire meal should only consist of no more then 50 grams.

We don't have fresh fruit around here all year long, so I buy fruit in a can as well. I always buy something in lite syrup and was told by a visiting nurse for my husband 2 years ago when he was very sick to rinse the fruit in the can off to take even more sugar away. When I can, I buy frozen fruit, but that is a tip she gave me for canned fruit. When you do have fresh fruit, eat the skin as well, that is where your fiber is.

I was newly diagnosed in Sept., so I know what your going thru to try and get things right, it sure isn't easy. Even though hubby has been Diabetic for over 25 years and our diets are pretty much geared toward Diabetes, I find many things I normally would eat I now have to eat less of.

Good luck, I go in Jan. as well. Sheesh, just what we need, checkups right after the holidays.

Take care....JJ

Last edited by JJ; 12-10-2009 at 08:34 PM.

Closed Thread