It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
(female)

dewing HB User
Am not happy with my fasting BS levels

My fasting levels vary between 6.7 and at it's highest, 8.3 but usually they are high to low 7's. I really don't know what else i can do to lower them. I always eat a small snack before bed of some carb and protein like a crispbread with some peanut butter and a cheese string but can't get them any lower. I wonder if by carrying on losing weight maybe they will improve?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: Am not happy with my fasting BS levels

I'm not sure what else can help you. Definitely losing some more weight would probably help some. Have you tried some exercise in the evening? Maybe even just going up and down the stairs a few times could help too.

Sorry I can't be more help. I'm sure someone will have some additional suggestions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
(female)

uma_anne HB User

I'll preface this by echoing what a lot folks on this board have noted - diabetes is a very individual disease.

Having said that, I have personally found success in controlling my morning fasting numbers by eliminating carb consumption in the evening. I usually avoid eating any carbs after 7pm and I'm please with my morning fasting numbers.

My husband, who is also diabetic and is generally pretty well controlled is also having issues with his morning fasting numbers. Unlike me, however, he does snack on relatively carby things in the evening. (And he eats peanut butter like it's ice cream!) Anyway, I've been advising him to limit/eliminate carbs in the evening. Whenever he does so he also sees lower fasting numbers the following morning.

So maybe just start out by trying to just a protein snack before bedtime, or stop eating after 7pm, just to see how that works for your fasting numbers.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:37 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by uma_anne View Post
I'll preface this by echoing what a lot folks on this board have noted - diabetes is a very individual disease.

Agreed.

For me, it's night time exercise that causes lower morning numbers. I can easily knock a point off.

Fatty dinner, no workout, I'll be 7 the next morning
Good dinner, with regular workout, I'll be a 6
Good dinner, extremely hard workout, I was a 4.9 yesterday morning.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Or just skip the bedtime snack...could be that's what's driving up your morning numbers. With T2, the major problem is insulin resistance, and the body is MOST insulin resistant at night when you're not moving around at all.

Ruth

Old 10-12-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
(female)

Miss Milly HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewing View Post
My fasting levels vary between 6.7 and at it's highest, 8.3 but usually they are high to low 7's. I really don't know what else i can do to lower them. I always eat a small snack before bed of some carb and protein like a crispbread with some peanut butter and a cheese string but can't get them any lower. I wonder if by carrying on losing weight maybe they will improve?
I would eat a well balanced meal before 7pm and then that's it, no more food. You should find better results in the morning. Mine are about between 4.7 and 6. The snack at night is unnecessary unless your doctor told you have it if you are on glucose lowering medications.
Also I find that taking a brisk 30 minute walk before dinner gives me good glucose lowering results for the whole night into the morning. Exercise is so potent.

Closed Thread