It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2010, 04:31 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

dianajune HB Userdianajune HB Userdianajune HB User
Unhappy Trouble controlling blood sugar

I was diagnosed "pre-diabetic" several years ago, and became a "regular" diabetic about 2-3 years ago. Fasting blood sugar first thing in the morning would average anywhere from 120 to under 100.

Because of the cost of test strips, I don't get them all the time. Just can't afford to because I'm on disability & my income is small. One of my aunts, who's also a diabetic, gave me a boatload of test strips about a year ago. What a God-send.....but I later found that some of them were expired.

So I used the good ones until they ran out, and started using the older ones and compared the results to new strips whenever I had the money to buy them. I found that with older strips, my blood sugar appeared to be higher than it actually was.

Yesterday I bought a new meter from Walmart - Relion brand. My blood sugar seems to be higher than it used to. I ate dinner late last night - finished at 9:23. I tested my blood sugar a few times because I'm still getting used to this new meter. At 10:46 it was 156. At 11:23 it was 222 (tested on left forearm). A few minutes later, for the heck of it, I tested it on my right forearm at 11:29. It was 186.

I had to get up early this morning - about 5:30 - and it was 155.

Several questions:

Can testing on different arms cause different readings?

Can eating dinner after 9pm cause morning blood sugar to be high?
(all I had for supper was goulash with sausage - tried to have more sausage than macaroni to cut back on carbs. Also a salad with lettuce, mushrooms and a tomato....fat free ranch dressing too)

Could this have been a factor too: I had major surgery in November (bowel resection and hernia repair), from which I am still recovering. At one point it looked like the hernia repair would have to be redone because I developed an infected seroma under the incision. This is getting better and the last couple of times they took fluid out, no infection was detected. I have another followup with the surgeon in March.

I've been under constant stress for a number of reasons I won't get into here (this post is long enough already) and wondered if that could be a reason why my sugar is high. I admit that at times I eat things I shouldn't, but I am trying to do better.

Also, I haven't been getting much sleep lately - could this also be a factor?

My medications include levothyroxine (thyroid), albuterol inhaler, Advair (which I rarely take anymore because of the cost), prilosec, furosemide (water pill) and Xanax as needed for stress. Was on prednisone a couple of weeks ago because my asthma was acting up really bad, but I've been off it for at least a week.

I would appreciate any advice you would have for me. Thanks!

Last edited by dianajune; 02-18-2010 at 04:48 AM. Reason: typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread