It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
(female)

uma_anne HB User
Racing heart with high blood sugar

Iíve been doing well controlling my Type II for a fairly long time now, with a strict low carb diet, exercise and my nightly dose of metformin.

However they other day I made the mistake of deviating from my diet and splurging on a brownie for dessert while out to dinner with some friends. Very reckless in retrospect, I know.

It seemed like I started feeling the effects of that instantaneously. I became lethargic, collapsed onto the couch and into a deep sleep (almost felt like I was drugged) when I got home. When I woke up around 2-3 hours later my heart was pounding like it never has before.

I honestly felt like I was having a heart attack or something. I checked my blood sugar and it was 160. I canít remember exactly how long after my indiscretion this was, but it was definitely over 2 hours so I suspect I could have been even higher earlier in the evening.

By the morning my fasting sugar was 110 which is a good 15 points over what it usually is when Iím following my routine diet. But the racing heart symptoms had passed.

So Iím wondering - is a racing heart a normal symptom of high blood sugars? And if so, what causes this exactly??

Old 02-23-2010, 04:42 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User
Re: Racing heart with high blood sugar

I have never heard of that.

But I wonder if the high BS is not the result of a racing heart rather than the other way around.

Now and then I eat something crazy and can go as high as a 160, but never had my heart rate go so high because of it.

However I have been in a situation where I got my heart rate to 175 and my BS went through the roof, without taking any carbs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2010, 05:22 PM   #3
(female)

uma_anne HB User

It's interesting you mention that because I did have a very stressful day - a big presentation at work and my nerves were shot. But I WAS checking my sugar though out the day and it remained in the 90s up until the time I went out to dinner. I had eaten very little up until the evening, again, b/c I usually can't eat when I'm stressed.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:26 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by uma_anne View Post
It's interesting you mention that because I did have a very stressful day - a big presentation at work and my nerves were shot. But I WAS checking my sugar though out the day and it remained in the 90s up until the time I went out to dinner. I had eaten very little up until the evening, again, b/c I usually can't eat when I'm stressed.
I know a hypo can cause a racing heart.

Could it be you went high, then crashed which caused tachycardia (high HR)

PS: you're allowed to a brownie now and then

Old 02-25-2010, 11:09 AM   #5
(female)

uma_anne HB User

Thanks - i don't think crashing caused the racing heart b/c I was 160 when I checked (and it was still pounding).

And thanks for the reassurance regarding have a treat every so often. Although honestly, when I experience the extreme sluggishness and mental fatigue that I usually get with high blood sugars, it's reinforcement to stay away from the sugary stuff. I perform optimally both mentally and physically when my sugars are in check!

Closed Thread