It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2010, 08:50 AM   #1
(female)

work4livn HB User
Diabetes T2, High BP, and High Cholesterol

hi...

I'm new here...I was recently told i have developed T2 diabetes. My primary care person is a certified nurse practitioner who has put me on Metformin 500mg 3 times a day. It's really messing with my stomach.

I'm on a mission to get my numbers down to a point that i don't need medication, but with two other conditions that also limit what i can eat, i feel like i'm going to live my life eating salad, brown rice, and plain chicken or fish. If anyone has suggestions about food i can add to my very boring diet, i'd love to hear from you. Since my High BP and High Cholesterol also keep me from eating most fats, cholesterol, and no salt for the HBP, it seems like almost every food i like is now "NOT GOOD FOR ME". Not exactly the "Golden Years" i'd envisioned.

joan

Old 02-26-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
Re: Diabetes T2, High BP, and High Cholesterol

Unsaturated fats (from nuts, avocados, fish, and non-hydrogenated vegetable oils other than coconut and palm oil) should be ok. You can use spices to spice up your food.

Increasing exercise and losing body fat should help all of blood sugar control, blood cholesterol, and blood pressure.

Last edited by tjlhb; 02-26-2010 at 11:51 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2010, 10:13 AM   #3
(female)

work4livn HB User

thank you for answering. you seem to know your stuff, i'm a retired nurse, and at the moment, my cholesterol numbers are terrific. aside from diet and 20mg of simvastatin i take a high dose of slo-niacin before bed (3500mg) which has enabled me to come down from 80mg of the statin a day to 20mg. my CNP and i have decided to check my next bloods and if i'm still good we're going to try taking me completely off the statin and see if only the slo niacin and my rigid diet will keep my cholesterol down.

there are a few spices i use instead of salt, which i don't really miss anyway... and salt is never used to cook or added to foods in my home. i am on a new medication for my HBP (carvedilol) and hope it works as well as my toprol xl plus amlodipine did. i'm due in her (my CNP) office monday to check my pressure (although i check at home myself, she has the better BP machine...i'm still using my 35 year old cuff.)

i've lost 15 pounds on my diet, but need to get at least another 25 off...hard to do when my business demands a 10-12 hour day sitting in front of a computer. i know i don't get enough exercise but can't seem to find enough hours in the day to do so.

i NEVER eat anything with saturated or trans fats.

i've given up going out to eat, red meats also, i don't drink but do smoke. i know that doesn't help me and i'm trying to quit...again.

are there any good books out there that deal with diet for someone with all of my conditions??? the one i have is over 20 years old. i feel like i'm either going to sprout feathers or grow gills.

sorry this is so long....and thanks for listening...

joan

Old 02-27-2010, 06:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Smoking probably cancels out all of your healthy diet habits and more. Best to make quitting smoking your top health priority.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:38 AM   #5
(male)

ThoseBackPages HB User

Hi Joan.

Walking walking walking.

Give yourself (and your health) just one hour a day to walk.
i recommend walking outside, and walking a specific route
or walk TO somewhere. That way, you must walk back to your
home, getting the exercise you need.

its relaxing for myself. i put on my headphones, and walk to
the beat of the music most of the time. i also find that walking
helps me think, and clear my head.

just my 2 cents,
Eric
Weight at diagnosis: 268
Current Weight: stopped checking at 160 in an attempt to gain weight

Eat to live, don't live to eat

Last edited by ThoseBackPages; 02-28-2010 at 09:38 AM.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:49 AM   #6
(female)

work4livn HB User

i quite smoking once before, about 15 years ago...then, like an idiot....

i'm trying again now with patches to help.

eric...if i have time i try to exercise or ride my bike, but right now, work is taking over my life. but i know you're right and i really should find that hour a day somehow...

thanks to both of you for answering me. i appreciate any input i can get.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:02 PM   #7
(female)

HaveItAll HB User

Look at the current research for cinnamon. I have another health issue that makes certain vitamin deficiencies common. If you have the 'Triple Threat' health issue of D-T2, H-BP, and H-C, then make sure that your Vitamin D, E, and B vitamins are in balance.

The new research on cinnamon showed in one study that taking 1/4 teaspoon daily reduced blood glucose, triglycerides, and cholesterol. I'd laugh it off as pure fantasy, but when my Vitamin D and K crashed out, I started craving cinnamon. I spent about 3 weeks eating a Tablespoon worth daily (dipping raw baby carrots in powdered cinnamon, loading it in tea, actually sprinkling it on raw spinach and strawberry salads that I was eating daily). Cinnamon evidently is heavy in manganese which helps uptake of several vitamins.

If you're smoking, food doesn't taste as powerful. Most smokers that I know use heavy amounts of salt and pepper-type seasonings in the food to be able to taste it. Once you stop smoking, your taste buds will begin to recover the nuances. Remember that 80% of taste is actually the sense of smell.

Just getting the vitamin levels in balance should buy you back a few cholesterol points. Cinnamon may help your cholesterol. Cutting out the smoking should really help it. Adding in some walking and good healthy doses of humor and social time will also make it better.

I was surprised at how good I felt once the Vitamin D and K got back in align. I can only guess at the Vitamin K since all of the foods that I was craving were high in Vitamin K --it was the only common denominator. Vitamin K deficiency is also a known risk with my autoimmune disorder. But the Vitamin D was checked in a blood test before and after. My doctor gave me high dosage gel caps of Vitamin D to take once a week until I stabilized. It took about 4 - 5 weeks of high dosage with a normal daily Vitamin D/calcium supplement. I took 12 weeks of the high dosage supplement once a week altogether.

Check out the research about Vitamin D and blood pressure. Then make that appointment with your General Practitioner to get a blood test to check it.

(Note: If you are on blood thinners, you should take in only the RDA for Vitamin K. I'm a special case there, because I have deficiency issues. )

Old 03-10-2010, 01:52 AM   #8
(female)

JasmineAdams HB User

Hi work4livn when you have to watch your blood sugars, have high BP and high cholesterol it can put a lot of restrictions on your diet which is pretty frustrating. I keep looking out for things that I can INCLUDE in my diet, and not have to exclude. I love a chocolate tea called CocoPure. Its got green tea, pure cocoa and resveratrol all three nutrients support heart health, help support normal blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Green tea is also known to help regulate normal blood sugars give it a try! For me, its a great substitute for times when I crave for a chocolate bar! Oh btw its got just 10 calories and no sugar.

Closed Thread