It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2010, 10:38 AM   #1
(female)

red horse woman HB User
Cool how long does it take to lower your blood sugar to acceptable levels

i was diagnosed with diabetes 4 weeks ago and started taking metformin about 2 weeks ago. my original fasting blood sugar was 361. slowly through a low carb diet and the medicine i am now down to a fasting 170. i am wondering if it took others a few weeks of right diet and meds to bring the blood sugar down to normal. or should it happen immediately. i work retail on the floor so i get plenty of walking and bending and lifting etc. 40 hours a week.
in fact i was shocked when my doctor told me about the 361 blood sugar. 5 years ago i weighed 287 pounds. and at that time my blood sugar test was 120 fasting. i went to work at a physical job and lost 60 pounds and maintained it for a year then joined weight watchers and lost another 35pounds and maintained that for 3 years now. so... when i weighed 95 pounds more my reading was 120--now my reading was 361. makes no sense to me.
also i have bought several books about diabetes and none of them recommend the same food choices. low carb for sure but some say no apples or pinapple--some say no beans (i love beans) some say go ahead and eat white bread and rice etc but keep carbs to 40 per meal. some say only complex carbs like veggies and fruit. very confusing. so i am doing complex carbs for 80% of my day. seems to be working. unless it was supposed to come down as soon as i started taking meds(?)
i really could use some input--thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
(female)

dewing HB User
Re: how long does it take to lower your blood sugar to acceptable levels

I was diagnosed T2 last October (2009) and am diet/excercise controlled and hope to stay that way but i have had to work very hard to get by BS levels down to what they were when i was first diagnosed. I have lost 2 stones in weight so far but still have a long way to go, i go for walks every day (usually 30 mins a day but sometimes more) and it has taken me all this time to work out what i can eat/avoid for my BS levels. For me (like most diabetics) i have to watch my carbs so am careful with the starchy carbs ie pasta, rice, bread etc but all this hard work is paying off because my levels have lowered, from the high 7's and 8's i am now in the high 6's and lower 7's so my advice is, don't give up and perserve :-)

Closed Thread