It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2010, 09:39 PM   #1
(male)

Ethan54 HB User
Confused about type I diabetes

I'm pretty sure I have diabetes -- I have all of the symptoms, excessive thirst, urination, slow wound healing etc--

But I'm a bit confused:

The problem is I'm 23 and in excellent physical shape -- I exercise regularly and eat well

That being said it seems unlikely to me that I would have type II based on my (limited) understanding of the disease

My understanding for type I is that you ?have? to take insulin, otherwise you will die, go into a coma, etc.

But I've had these symptoms for more than three years (I loathe going to the doctor and they have only become intense lately), so, to put it bluntly, if I have diabetes, and have had it for more than three years, shouldn't I be -- dead? --

As a footnote, I am having bloodwork done this week -- but I am still confused about how I possibly could have diabetes, as all my symptoms point directly to it. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Thanks, Ethan.

P.S.

Sorry if this post was a little coarse I am a coarse fellow.

Last edited by Ethan54; 03-14-2010 at 09:40 PM.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
Re: Confused about type I diabetes

It is possible (though not that common) to have type 2 diabetes mellitus even if you exercise and have low body fat if your genetics are extremely prone to it, although it would likely be worse if you did not exercise and had high body fat.

Yes, if you have type 1 diabetes mellitus, you would need to inject insulin.

There is also a less common and less well known condition with similar symptoms called diabetes insipidus, which is not caused by problems with glucose metabolism.

Be sure to fast for the blood work unless instructed otherwise.

Last edited by tjlhb; 03-14-2010 at 09:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2010, 09:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

There is another type of diabetes which is basically a form of type 1. It's sometimes referred to as type 1.5, also called LADA which stands for LAtent Diabetes of Adulthood (I think I've got that right...someone correct me if not). At any rate, it's a form of Type 1 that comes on more slowly than usual, and it can take up to a couple of years for the beta cells to all die out; during that interim, the body is still producing some insulin.

And what tjljb said...I have a friend who has always been very thin, has always exercised regularly, and who has T2.

Obviously the best way to rule anything in or out is to get tested.

Ruth

Old 03-16-2010, 05:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

Just saw this post so it's time for me to weigh in too. While many folks with T2 are obese, it is not a requirement. It is quite possible to get T2 diabetes and still be doing everything right and weigh a normal weight. Ruth is also correct in that you could have LADA (Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults). You need to get tested. This will involve blood work including glucose testing (fasting and maybe an ogtt - oral glucose tolerance test) and if your doc is willing, also GAD and islet antibody tests to rule out type 1.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:39 PM   #5
(female)

mandy11985 HB User

although you are in excellent shape and take care of yourself, you can be a type 1 - many people think this disease is simply something that people who are obese or do not take care of themselves (trust me I get plenty of looks when I tell people I have diabetes and I am healthy looking).

Explain your symptoms thoroughly to your doctor though also. It takes a very quick test in the doctors office to rule out diabetes as well (a simple blood sugar test). Although all of your symptoms may point to diabetes, you never know, you could have something else too which is why it is very important to not jump to conclusions but to also explain what is going on with your doctor at length. i know going to he doctor is awful, i hate it too - i go there about 8 times a year if not more for this disease.

Closed Thread