It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2010, 09:06 PM   #1
(female)

shaunamarie HB User
Newly diagnosed and in denial

I was diagnosed on March 1/10 as being a type 2 diabetic.

I am overweight (about 300), female, smoker, 31.

I'm still in denial about all of this. I'm not taking it seriously at all. At first I was, and then I started slipping. I have an appointment with a dietician in a couple of weeks.

At first my sugars were like high. Then by doing some exercise, watching what I ate somewhat, and through medication, I managed to bring them down to a 9.9 yesterday morning. So what did I do? I celebrated with some Pepsi. Two whole freaking litres. I'm sure you're not going to be surprised when I tell you that my sugars were at 16.9 today.

It's so confusing. I am a picky eater to begin with and now I can't eat my favorite foods? Or can I? I do have some plusses on my side. I happen to like yoghurt (sp). I also happen to make it bad by not just eating a little bit, but enjoying it so much I eat it all.

I just don't know anything, seriously. I don't know what's good to eat and what's not. Going to the grocery store is like torture for me. I try to read the labels--but really have no clue what I'm looking for. I don't know if it's ok to eat A or B. And does this diagnosis mean that I can never have my favorite things again, like Kentucky Fried Chicken? Do I just say goodbye to all of my favorite foods?

I wish I could eat like a normal person. I mean, I tried to get an easter bunny. I was told that it's ok to dabble in it once in a while. So I did get one of the Jr. ones, not even the big ones. I did good--I ate only a 'lil bit of his ear. Before I knew it, the rest was gone.

Can anyone shed some light? Or am I just going to be a failure at this, too?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2010, 11:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
Re: Newly diagnosed and in denial

First, do your best to stop smoking.

Increasing exercise will help your blood sugar control and help lose body fat.

Make your primary foods the following:

Low calorie vegetables.
Fish that are not highly contaminated (e.g. mercury).
Lean other meats.
Nuts in moderation.
Beans and lentils in moderation.
Whole fruit in moderation.
Eggs (yolks in moderation).
Skim milk unsweetened dairy products in moderation.
Water.
Unsweetened tea and black coffee.

Avoid the following foods:

Fried carbohydrates (e.g. fried potatoes, donuts, and foods that are breaded or battered and fried).
Sweet drinks.
Refined grain foods.
Sugary foods like candy, sweetened cereal, and sweetened yogurt.

Pay attention to the glycemic index and glycemic load of carbohydrate containing foods.

Last edited by tjlhb; 03-17-2010 at 11:28 PM.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

The good news is that this is do-able. Millions of folks do it every day. I have personally found that when trying to change things, it works best if I don't change everything all at once. Try to get some diabetes education classes. This will help you count carbs and learn all about the disease. Also, feel free to ask questions here.

Testing 2 hours after the start of a meal will also give you a good idea of what you can get away with (in moderation of course). Ideally the levels should be below 7.8 and below 5.5 fasting).

Best of luck.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:15 PM   #4
(female)

red horse woman HB User

i was 287 pounds 5 years ago it took 2 1/2 years to take 100 pounds off and i have kept it off for 2 1/2 years. at 287 my fasting blood sugar was 120--a few weeks ago i had a faasting blood sugar done and it was 361. i am not so convinced about the weight thing. i think u can understand why. buy books about diabetes--u can get them on ebay for very little money. buy several and compare what they tell u. and sure u can have KFC the chicken will not raise your blood sugar BUT the biscuit and potatoes will. just order the chicken alone. what u r looking for is the carbs. try to eat only complex carbs (veggies and friut) and protein. and at first dont limit how much u eat of the good foods. and read read read. impower yourself with knowledge. i hope all the best for u
red horse woman

Old 03-18-2010, 01:55 PM   #5
(female)

shaunamarie HB User

I do have problems with eating a lot of fresh veggies. A week before I was diagnosed with diabetes, I was diagnosed with gallstones.

I've finally decided that I have diabetes whether I like it or not. So I have two choices--work with it in my life or act like I don't have it and then suffer from the many problems that come with untreated diabetes. I will say it's easier to stay away from foods that cause problems with the gallstones because there is pain involved. At the moment, not so easy with diabetes. I am getting that if it goes untreated, I could end up with other problems that won't be so easy to take care of. I just almost wish there was a pain or something that I got when I eat something that I shouldn't. lol

Tomorrow is a new day and one to get back on track. I think I'm going to give up all of my old favorites for the moment, at least until my sugars are under control and I've seen the dietician. I live with my brother and may get him to do the shopping for me for now.

Thanks for your replies.

Shauna

Old 03-18-2010, 02:42 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by red horse woman View Post
sure u can have KFC the chicken will not raise your blood sugar
If the chicken is breaded or battered before frying, that is added (low quality) carbohydrates, plus it absorbs extra fat (extra calories) from the frying oil. Better to choose roasted or grilled chicken that is not breaded or battered.

Last edited by tjlhb; 03-18-2010 at 02:42 PM.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:47 PM   #7
(male)

ThoseBackPages HB User

One day at a time, thats all we've got.

You CAN do this. as has been mentioned, millions do it daily.

We all here have different backgrounds and such. We can help each
other, ask questions, ask as many as you want. The people here are great.

Exercise. Walking IS exercise. i dont think many people realize this.
Walk for an hour a day, or start with a half hour. The thing is, start.
once you start and get into it, then expand it a little. then a little more.

a good walk will bring down your numbers.

as far as what you can and cant eat.....the basics have been stated above me.

i will say this....eating what you have for the better part of your 31 years
on this planet has gotten you where you are today. harsh? yes, a bit.
True? Absolutely.

i myself was diagnosed in January. i have done a 180 in what i eat, and
i walk 3+ miles everyday (weather permitting)

Portions are also very important. read labels and not only look at the carb content, but pay attention to what a "serving" is. i know that that was quite a shock to me when i first started doing so.

is it easy? Absolutely NOT. i know that i put myself here with my 35+ years of eating crap and the like. Now its time to try to right the ship, before its too late for me.
Weight at diagnosis: 268
Current Weight: stopped checking at 160 in an attempt to gain weight

Eat to live, don't live to eat

Old 04-01-2010, 07:06 PM   #8
(male)

azrul HB User

i have a story to share with u,but my condition is a bit different.i have been diagnosed glucose impaired a year ago.so,i change my daily life diet and activity.i used to jogging only on weekend,but change to everyday,after work at five,i will jog for 20 minutes at least non stop.then,on monday and tuesday i will fasting from morning till evening.i do it every week,and after 6 month my sugar level are below 6.0mmoll,no matter after eat a lot of high sugar meal,after drink a lot of carbonate drink(which is the number enemy for diabetes),my sugar level is always in normal range.im so happy,i try to post my story here earlier,but cant find this forum due to changing of workplace,only today i accidently find the link in my old email.when i first found out about my sugar level,i feel a bit depressed,its a normal human reaction to feel that way after hearing a bad news,but we have to fight it,find a way,never give up.i did post about my problem here last year.from the advice someone here that give me a bit hope n spirit to do something about it.really grateful now.u should totally change ur daily life diet n routine,diet is not enough,have to do exercise too,and not just light exercise,do proper exercise.make ur heart pumping.push urself to the limit.
the result wont come fast,it takes time n pain to gain something.no pain no gain.dont give up k.what a waste of time by sitting and doing nothing.only u can help ur own self.be strong.

(sorry bout my english)

Old 04-03-2010, 10:51 PM   #9
(male)

savvysearch HB User

You don't have to deny yourself KFC. Meat has no carbs. Steak, fish, shrimp, chicken, turkey, pork etc. Those are okay to eat. KFC chicken has batter on it, but the carbs are few. It won't raise your glucose significantly. Just cut down or avoid the mashed potatoes which will raise your glucose.

If you are going to "cheat" your diet, try to cheat with meat rather than anything sweet. Nothing too fatty. Anything with "loin" in the name is low in fat. tenderloin, serloin etc.

Vegetables, other than potatoes or anything starchy, are okay. Eat all the lettuce you want, Carrots, celery,

Really, this is about self-control. I have a feeling you should be eating half of what you would normally eat. But you need to decide that or ask your doctor to refer you to a nutritionist to guide you.

You need to decide how many carbs you will have per day and per meal.
How many total calories per day to lose weight.
Those are the two main important ones.

To make it easier, try Lean Cuisine. They tend to be low in carb and small meals. You can eat between 4-6 of them throughout the day.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:07 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvysearch View Post
You don't have to deny yourself KFC. Meat has no carbs. Steak, fish, shrimp, chicken, turkey, pork etc. Those are okay to eat. KFC chicken has batter on it, but the carbs are few.
The calorie content of breaded or battered and fried chicken is much higher than in grilled or roasted chicken; the breading or batter adds calories itself, and it absorbs substantial amounts of fat from the cooking oil. Someone carrying a lot of excess body fat may not want to consume those extra calories.

Closed Thread