It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2010, 12:44 AM   #1
(female)

trueirish HB User
Question 6 year old with A1c at 5.3 and blood sugar at 109 after fastin for 12+ hours

my 6 year daughter took test on monday morning at 11:30 a.m. and did not eat since sunday night between 8 and 9 at night so she fast for about 12 plus hours. When we got to the doctor they poked her finger and did the stripe test and the numbers was 109, they did tell me she was in normal range cuase normal is between 65 to 120 but the nurse said she thought she it was kind of high for her when she hasn't ate for that long and the doctor said its was to but he really wasn't worry but did a blood draw anyways and when i got the results yesterday her numbers was 5.6 i believe she did a hba1c but they called it ac1 also i don't know the diffrence but they told me she was fine..i reserched it and i found that 5.6 and up to 6 something is pre diabetes. any thing after 5.0 should be a concern. also it said that i should get her tested in a few days and every 3 to 6 months. i have diabetes in my family bad i have a 13 year niece that has to check numbers every time she eats and is alway giving herself shots my uncle is legally blind from diabetes and my aunt is really sick from it and my uncle and aunt is in their 60's and 70's....i'm dont have much informantion about diabetes cause its never been so close to me that i had to deal with i know very little baout it..but i need help and more information please help i need it...is this normal for a kid..she has all signs of diabetes...should i trust the doctor or get a second oppine?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2010, 08:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User
Re: 6 year old with A1c at 5.3 and blood sugar at 109 after fastin for 12+ hours

trueirish: Was your daughter diagnosed with type1? The A1C and BG of 109 is fine. The BG could have been a little higher even though she didn't eat because of the dawn effect. The dawn effect is where your liver released sugar in the morning. It's the bodies way of keeping you from fainting. My son's A1C's are in the 8's, I'd be happy if I could get him in the 5's!!! The BG target for my son is 120. He hardly ever meets it. He's either too high or too low. It depends on what he eats and how much he exercises.

You will be thinking you've gone through medical school after you learn all about this diabetes and what you have to do to take care of it. It's been 3 years and I'm still learning.

There is a ton on information on these boards. Give some more information about why your daughter got tested. Is is because of family history? Type 1 is an autoimmune disorder. Type 2 is the hereditary type. Is your daughter heavy? By giving more details you can learn alot more.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:12 AM   #3
(female)

red horse woman HB User
Re: 6 year old with A1c at 5.3 and blood sugar at 109 after fastin for 12+ hours

thank God u found out she is a t risk and u can help herchange her eating habits and exercise habits. d it with her--walk walk walk and its free! stock your fridge with good stuff and throw out the bad stuff! just think! u can save your daughters life and your own as well! read read read--everything u can get your hands on.
May God bless your efforts

Old 04-02-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
(female)

trueirish HB User

thanks for giving me some informantion.....to your question about her is she is very tiny she is about 40-45 pounds very peititeshe is 6 yreas old and can pass as a 3-4 year old. the reason i got her tested is becuase of family history and also she was saying quite bit that she was shaking in the inside of her body, she is always thristy is always drinking water, oh yeah when she told me she felt the shakes i gave her fruit or some pop and it helped her but other things are that she has got more pail in the last few months. so i thought i should get her tested becuase my niece had some of the same issues before she found out she was diabetic. my house is snack free i'm the uncool mom so my kids say no chips candy choclate, and its not becuase of this but i never buy it becuase i'm not a sweet eater so i never think of buying it when i'm at the store. but my daughter loves candy if she can get her hands on it she will eat it all day. the doctor told me she was pre diabetic and i didn't have to do much just watch what she eats. but never told me i should get her retested. i read that i should retest her. thats the reason i got her tested. anything more i would love the help thank to everyone that is willing to help me through this thanks once again

Closed Thread