It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2010, 11:53 PM   #1
(female)

chu613 HB User
Question questions on advandia, actos and amaryl

I have been diabetic for 16 years type 2 and I am on oral medication, recently my A1c has been outta of wack 7.5 the highest i have ever had it.....Taking metformin, glipazide and actos.....it hasn't controlled my blood sugars...the doctor took me off of actos and glipazide and put me on avandia and amaryl i have been taking it for 5 days now but i have a concern my legs have gotten so swollen and now my hands and arms are as well.. you can put your fingers and clearly make an indention that takes at least 20-30 seconds to come back to normal and even then it leaves a mark. I am concerned about the whole advandia risk that I have heard and I was wondering if anyone out there have taken this medication and should i be worried about heart risks and swelling?There is such bad news out there about the advandia which has me scared very scared. Please can someone shed the light or some good advice??? Thanks

Old 04-11-2010, 09:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User
Re: questions on advandia, actos and amaryl

Hi, I am on Actos, and when I started my doctor said if I had any side effects to call him. He included swelling as a side effect. I would think that if you are experiencing swelling since switching methods that it might indicate adverse side effect. I would suggest you call your doctor and explain what is going on and see what he suggests. Good luck!
Mim Gregg

Last edited by mim; 04-11-2010 at 09:24 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2010, 07:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

whackedback HB Userwhackedback HB Userwhackedback HB User

I had a bad reaction to Actos about 2 years ago. I gained about 10% of my body weight in water. Had to take a diuretic for a year to smooth things out. Don't wait like I did. Have it checked out.

With the bad things with oral meds, I chose to go to Lantus. Fewer side effects.

wb

Old 04-29-2010, 08:02 PM   #4
(female)

MARILYN KRAIN HB User

hi please ask your doc about avandia. it put me im the hospital with heart failure and a lot of fluid. I am now on insulin and doing better. marilyn

Old 04-29-2010, 08:13 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User

I agree with marilyn, I'm not a fan of type 2 diabetes meds, although I do realize sometimes they are very necessary. Lantus is probably much better, as is diet and exercise. You'll have to ask your doctor though. Good luck.

Closed Thread