It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
(female)

mandy11985 HB User
Red face High Blood Sugar - No cause??

I've been experiencing high blood sugars for the past two weeks and can't seem to identify a true 'cause' for them. I am on the pump and am bolusing correctly for what I am eating, exercising, checking my blood sugar even more frequently due to the high numbers and therefore using more insulin to get my numbers back under control. I will wake up and my blood sugar will be around the 300 to 400 so I will do a correction bolus and about two hours later my blood sugar might still be around 300 and I haven't eaten anything! I have no idea what is going on... thoughts?!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: High Blood Sugar - No cause??

Hi Mandy,
Doesn't this drive you nuts? You get everything working fine...and then all of a sudden...kaboom!

A couple of thoughts...

Could you be developing scar tissue, so the sites aren't working properly? Have you tried correcting with a shot in a place you don't usually use (like, say, back of arm), to see if it's a problem with the site?

Have you tried changing to a new bottle of insulin? Sometimes the insulin does go bad...not necessarily due to US, but rather to improper storage by the store you got it from.

Okay...really stupid question, but I accidentally did it...were your basal rates somehow changed? I had to change my basals (long story) and I did, but forgot that when you change the one before midnight (mine goes up at 10 PM), then you have to change it again from midnight to whenever (mine goes back down at 9 AM)...in other words, you have to change twice in order to cover the pre-set midnight starting point. So when I needed a change and forgot to do that, my basal went back to my daytime rate at midnight...screwed me up for days before I figured it out.

Have you tested your basals and bolus ratios lately?

Also...you have to wait longer than two hours to see if the correction worked. It may take up to 3-5 hours to completely come down. Of course, that doesn't explain why it went up in the first place, but you can't tell if its bad insulin if you only wait the two hours to test.

Maybe Cora can jump in here with some other suggestions...I think she used to be on a pump, too.

Ruth

Last edited by SamQKitty; 04-10-2010 at 05:20 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
(female)

mandy11985 HB User
Unhappy Re: High Blood Sugar - No cause??

Thanks for all of those suggestion!

However, and frustating again, I have tried a lot of those!!

a few weeks ago I was on a CBCM (continuous blood glucose monitor) for a week to see if we could figure out what was going on just with my midnight to morning numbers and we did correct/make some changes to my basal rate. So i did what you suggested (made sure I had the correct rate at midnight on) and I do. So scratch that good idea (I was hoping that was it adn would solve all!).

I just recently opened a new bottle of insulin so I don't think that is it - the expiration date is april of 2013 or something like that. I changed my pump yesterday, so maybe that is it. I have been using the same general areas since I got my pump about 6 years ago.

That is the thing that 'worries' me about the pump - aren't we all going to 'run out of places' to put this thing after a while? i look forward to the inhalable insulin coming to the market. hopefully its as good as i've been reading.

today my numbers have been really high and ive eaten much in terms of amount or carbs. I woke up at 360 then an hour later, haven eaten nothing, was 460. So i bolused again, waited about two hours then ate something because it was getting near lunch and had a carb-free homemade pizza (use riced cauliflower instead of dough) and a bite of my husbands burrito. I calculated that to be about 30 carbs (which I thought was over estimating, just to be on the safe side). Well, here we are now about 5 hours after i ate that and have had nothing since and i'm still reading in the 300's. It's getting really frustrating and to the point that I feel sick.

I appreciate any and all thoughts.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

In addition to all the great info Ruth gave, there are a couple of other possibilities. First off, don't assume that your settings will stay the same forever. As we age, our metabolism can change. So your basals may need changing. Also, I always found I needed to change my settings in the spring and fall. My insulin requirements were different depending on the temperatures. It was usually around this time of the year that I would start requiring more insulin. Usually the 3rd week of September was my time frame to drop things again.

Best of luck.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:19 PM   #5
(female)

mandy11985 HB User

i never thought of that; i did change my site and that seems to be helping but for the most part i am still reading too high (near the 200's).

tomorrow im going to try fasting between breakfast and lunch to see if that basal rate needs adjustment - as you said, maybe i need more insulin now. :\ its always a process with this disease...

Closed Thread