It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
(male)

jamman3 HB User
painful stiffness and cramping in legs and feet, diabetes?

Im told diabetes affects your feet . when I mow the lawn, walk a long distance or am on my feet too long. The backs of my legs and low back get real stiff almost to the point of getting cramps ,sometimes my feet get tingling, but to the point that it seems more than average pain and stiffness Iam only 52 years old but i see guys older than me with more stamina climbing poles carring heavier loads etc. and their back to work next day fine, me im whinning will i ever be the man i used to be ,Iam on insulin/blood pressure/asthma/ just had my gaul bladder removed. oh and also have bulging discs in my back noted from an mri scan, ihave to sleep with my tennis shoes on at night because i get cramps in feet at night ,Ineed some advice on how to feel better.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:44 AM   #2
(female)

red horse woman HB User
Re: painfull stiffness and cramping in legs and feet , diabetes?

oh for petes sake! u must have at least a few friends or family members with diabetes. have them test your blood sugar. takes less than 2 minutes and if the none fasting reading is above -say-(150 or up) then go have some blood work done. very simple and straight forward.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2010, 02:38 PM   #3
(female)

CindyB67 HB User

Wow, kind of harsh red horse woman!

Jamman 3,

The cramping could be because your blood sugars are too high and you getting neuropathy. Get your blood sugars under control and most the cramping should either lessen or even go away all together. Red Horse Woman is correct in that you need to get your blood sugar tested, but since you already are on insulin I assume you already have a glucometer. You could tell by regular testing if your blood sugars are running too high. But the tingling at least in your feet and legs (not sure about your back) sounds like neuropathy to me. There are some over the counter creams like in the pharmacy sections of Walmart that are suppose to help with the pain in your feet and such, so that might give you immediate relief. I haven't tried them, but hopefully it would work for you. But definitely get your blood sugar regulated and that should relieve some of your discomfort. I hope you feel better soon.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

Jamman, this could be so many things. Some diabetes related, and some not. How have your sugars been running? It could be circulatory (maybe due to D, maybe not) or it could be an electrolyte imbalance. In my case I get something like this, but it is due to lack of consistent exercise.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:19 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

If your blood sugars are running too high that could be causing it...high blood sugars affect every single cell in our bodies. On the other hand, if your numbers are okay, then it could be pressure from the bulging disks pressing on nerves that is causing all of this. As Cora pointed out, sometimes getting more consistent exercise is the answer, as it increases the blood circulation which in turn brings more nourishment to all the muscles and nerves. Do start slowly, though, if you haven't been doing a regular exercise program. Even a 15 minute walk once or twice a day might be helpful. On the other hand, if you do that for a few weeks and the pain gets worse, then it's time to have a complete evaluation to determine what could be causing it.

Ruth

Closed Thread