It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2010, 02:56 PM   #1
(female)

Ladycake HB User
Metformin Problem

I have had Diabetes for about 8 years. I was laid off of my job two years ago and lost my health insurance. I stopped taking my medication and ended up near death in the hospital with an electrolyte problem.

Prior to taking Metformin, I had no pain in my feet, afterward, the Neuropathy was unbearable. I took a prescribed medication and am now doing okay. My issue with the Metformin is that it makes me incontinent. It is not all the time, but even once is too much! I am not old enough to suffer this problem!

My first doctor said that incontinence was not a side effect of Metformin, but when I stopped taking it, the symptom stopped as well. When I started taking it again, I had the same problem. I am now not taking the Metformin, without my doctor's knowledge, just the insulin. Is this going to cause me more problems? Does anybody else have this problem? Is there a solution?

Old 06-14-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
(female)

Ladycake HB User
Re: Metformin Problem

Can anybody help me with this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2010, 07:56 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User

Couple of things. First, I'm not a doctor. But if I were you, I would prefer the insulin over the metformin. Metformin does things that I don't like and insulin really is just sort of "there." But that aside, if the insulin works well for you, and you like it, then by all means that's the way to go for you. If your doctor disagrees, then you have a choice to make. Do you want to fit your lifestyle and well-being to your doctor, or do you want a doctor who tailors the medical program to your lifestyle and well-being? I will say that I did change doctors in March. Just some items to consider.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:13 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB User

My husband takes Metaformin and has had no problems with incontinence. He also takes insulin, and just recently his doctor had him stop the Metaformin, thinking that it wasn't helping him. When he did that, his blood sugars immediately went through the roof! Needless to say he is back on the medication and his blood sugars have come down dramatically. I guess it really helps him.

In order to avoid having an upset stomach, he takes half his dose in the morning and half in the evening. You might talk with your doctor about dividing the dosage. If, indeed, the Metaformin is causing incontinence as a side effect, taking it that way may help.

You might also try doing Kegel exercises. When you urinate, stop and hold the stream intermittently. That will hopefully strengthen the surrounding muscles and has been shown to help with incontinence in children as well as adults. Hope this helps.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:33 PM   #5
(female)

Ladycake HB User

Thank you for your advice! The incontinance is not urinary - ugh! I do actually take half and half (when I take it) but the dose is so large, it bothers me anyway. I have now been off the Metformin for several weeks (my choice) and the blood sugars have started to come down.

I did have a problem with my former doctor, but this one seems to be agreeable to working with me. I have an appointment in two weeks and I hope to discuss the issues with her at that time.

I definitely think I need to suit the treatment to my lifestyle but want to remain as healthy as possible. Has anyone used cinnamon as an adjunct medication for diabetes? I have been taking it with the insulin and it seems to help a bit.

Thanks again!

Old 06-21-2010, 07:50 AM   #6
(female)

chellebelle0923 HB User

I didn't do well with the Metformin(Glucophage) either and when I changed doctors he put me on another form of Metformin called Glumetza. I have no problems with this medicine, this is just a suggestion I am no doctor. If the insulin is working fine, stick with whats working.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:20 AM   #7
(female)

Ladycake HB User

Thanks again for your input. I will speak with my doctor about the alternate medicine.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:49 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB User

Sorry, I guess if I had thought that one through, the way Metaformin works, I would have realized the type of incontinence you were talking about. That would be a big problem, and I can understand your reluctance to take it. I've heard of that side effect from some of the weight loss medications that work in a similar way. It's great that your blood sugars are stabilizing off of the medication.

My husband (a diabetic) usually puts cinnamon on his oatmeal in the mornings during the winter. (He eats cold cereal during the summer.) Haven't really noticed a big difference in his blood sugars with the cinnamon. I know its supposed to be good for blood sugar stabilization. Of course, he added a Splenda/ brown sugar blend and raisins to the oatmeal, and that probably cancelled out any positive effects from the cinnamon. I think I read something similar about the sugar stabilization properties of fresh blueberries. I have problems with reactive hypoglycemia. I wonder if cinnamon would help me?

Last edited by Sunsetnan; 06-29-2010 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Added and deleted text for clarity.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:40 PM   #9
(female)

craned HB User

my brother is on this medication, he has only been on it a few days,he said he urinates a lot more than before, is also making him very sleepy.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:52 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User

Sunsetnan, from my understanding the active ingredient in cinnamon (not cinnamon oil, but the water soluble part) is a compound called hydroxychalcone. This actually increases and facilitates the delivery by insulin of glucose into the cells. If you had hypoglycemia, this wouldn't help you.

Closed Thread