It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2010, 03:45 PM   #1
(female)

mohlibrarian HB User
I need examples of what to eat!

I have been really trying to get my A1C to a level that I can live with. I have purchased several books on diabetes, I have checked some out of the public library, and I am finding that they contradict themselves quite a bit. I know that my meter will help me determine if I have eaten too many carbs or not.
However, I am having a difficult time coming up with foods that I can eat because I am allergic to eggs, and I am lactose intolerant so I can't eat cheese (lactose pills don't help me) and my understanding is that a diet very high in proteins affects the kidneys. WHAT DO IT EAT? PLEASE WILL SOMEONE GIVE ME SPECIFIC EXAMPLES OF WHAT TO EAT? Thanks,
Lupe

Old 07-01-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: I need examples of what to eat!

Just to let you know, a high protein diet will only affect an already damaged kidney. It will not damage a healthy one. So if you have normal kidney function, you shouldn't really worry about your protein consumption. Nuts are also a good source of protein and are an excellent low carb snack. Try to avoid the salted ones though.

While I have never followed it, quite a few folks have success with Dr. Bernstein's diet plan. I'm sure you could get a copy out of your local library too.

Sorry I can't be more help, but we are all so different.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2010, 04:55 PM   #3
(female)

mohlibrarian HB User

Thank you Cora! I'm glad you mentioned that a healthy kidney will be able to handle the protein. I feel better knowing that. Thank you for your quick reply as well.
Lupe

Old 07-01-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

No problem. Just to add, I've always been a fan of salads and fresh crunchy stuff like peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, etc. Add a bit of tuna and some dressing and you have a yummy meal.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:14 AM   #5
(female)

mohlibrarian HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cora1003 View Post
No problem. Just to add, I've always been a fan of salads and fresh crunchy stuff like peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, etc. Add a bit of tuna and some dressing and you have a yummy meal.
That does sound Yummy! I have been eating lots of salads for lunch and dinner, chicken, tuna, ham salads. It is for breakfast that I have problems. The bran flake cereal and milk just does not help. I have been eating egg whites and bacon on a corn tortilla, (I am afraid of having even wheat bread) but even that seems to keep my sugars up. It just does not seem appetizing to have salads for breakfast. I love fresh fruit, but the fear of high BG makes me feel so guilty when I have a piece.
Thank you so much Cora for your responses. I truly appreciate them. Have a wonderful day.
Rosa

Old 07-02-2010, 07:42 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

While I can't remember exactly the recipe (you'll have to play on your own a bit) I used to have a breakfast parfait made with plain yogurt, a bit of artificial sweetener, a bit of blended fruit (threw all the stuff in the blender) and then added some bran buds for crunch. It was yummy and minimal carbs. Keep in mind that I was a T1 and so didn't concern myself too much with spikes. I believe that in some ways, using insulin is infinitely easier than oral meds and if I had to go back (I have had a pancreas transplant) I would definitely prefer T1 to T2.

Keep up the good work.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:04 AM   #7
(female)

foodie Isabel HB User

I can only imagine how having an egg allergy limits breakfast ideas. Since you're also lactose intolerant, I don't have any breakfast ideas per se, but maybe you can use some of these: I make my own peanut butter and spread it on cut up pita bread (if you're worried about breads, use Joseph's Bakery - it's certified for diabetics) and then top it with dried fruit like cranberries; another one is ham, bacon and tomato wrapped in romaine lettuce leaves. If everything else fails, you can look at your store for diabetic friendly breakfast bars. Hope you find some inspiration.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:06 AM   #8
(female)

AuntNanc HB UserAuntNanc HB UserAuntNanc HB UserAuntNanc HB User

Lupe,

It's true, everyone responds differently to the same foods. And our individual health issues, aside from the diabetes, affect what we are able to eat. Because I take an anticoagulant and have to closely monitor for the right dose, I can't eat all the dark green veggies recommended because they are high in vitamin K, which thickens the blood. You have the foods you cannot tolerate, as well. I recommend you see a nutritionist to help you find what works for you. I did, and it really helped. I saw her every two weeks for about five or six sessions. She taught me what foods I should be eating, portion size, etc. I also learned that it is still possible to eat out... something I worried about. If I know I'm going to be eating a lot of carbs, I will have a salad before I leave the house. Not only will it curb my appetite at the restaurant, but the fiber will slow the breakdown of the carbs. I kept a food diary for a month or so, so I could compare what I was eating to the rise and fall of my glucose levels. I would have floundered without her help. Not everyone's insurance pays for this service. Check on that before you go and make sure you get a referral from your primary care physician that lists a medical need... your diabetes in combination with food allergies. Your chances of being covered are much greater when there's a real medical need. Even if you can only afford one or two sessions, you won't regret it. Good luck.

Nancy

Closed Thread