It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
(female)

sussyqueed2 HB User
Diabetes and extreme toe pain

Hello out there,
Iíve just recently been diagnosed with diabetes type II. I believe that Iíve had the condition for more than a year but my new internist recently verified it. I also have been suffering from extreme toe and foot pain for several years. Tests for neuropathy came up negative and tests for peripheral artery disease indicate that I have a mild form of that condition. My toes hurt almost constantly. Not all of themÖmostly my big toe and the 2 next to it. Is this common? What can I do about it?
Thanks.
Sue

Old 07-21-2010, 06:50 PM   #2
(male)

LP123 HB User
Re: Diabetes and extreme toe pain

Are your toes very cold also? My toes became very cold and painful around the time I was diagnosed. I find warming my feet in bed with an electric under blanket helps. I purchased a single size blanket and lay it across the foot of my bed under my sheet. This keeps my feet warm but not the rest of my body, which I much prefer as I can't sleep if I'm too warm. Try placing your feet in a bowl of warm water and see if the pain eases. Be very careful not to have the water too hot though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
(female)

sussyqueed2 HB User

Hi again,
Thank you for your reply. No, my toes are not cold at all. I get an occasional foot cramp at night but that has been going on forever. My big toes and the two next to then are affected the most and it feels like my toes are broken. If you've ever broken a toe, you would know what I mean. Also, the top of my foot will hurt, like an elephant is standing on my foot. Occasionally the pain is also on the bottom of my feet as well. This mixed with the recent appearance of clusters of tiny reddish brown spots and patches of varicose veins have me concerned. The spots and the varicose veins showed up suddenly over the last few months.
Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamPatrick View Post
Are your toes very cold also? My toes became very cold and painful around the time I was diagnosed. I find warming my feet in bed with an electric under blanket helps. I purchased a single size blanket and lay it across the foot of my bed under my sheet. This keeps my feet warm but not the rest of my body, which I much prefer as I can't sleep if I'm too warm. Try placing your feet in a bowl of warm water and see if the pain eases. Be very careful not to have the water too hot though.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:07 AM   #4
(male)

LP123 HB User

That sounds awful. I can only suggest you see a doctor about this and maybe get some pain meds for when it becomes very bad. Good luck.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:36 AM   #5
(female)

AuntNanc HB UserAuntNanc HB UserAuntNanc HB UserAuntNanc HB User

Sue, I have the same problem and recently went to a podiatrist because I was concerned that the diabetes was causing too much damage to my feet. My toes hurt all day and, by the time I went to bed at night, the pain kept me awake. The podiatrist ordered labs and checked reflexes, etc. in my feet and toes. Because most of the pain is in my big toe and next two toes, he is pretty sure I have Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome, the foot equivalent of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. I'm having tests done in a few weeks to confirm. But, its something you may want to check out, as well. Are you seeing a podiatrist? Even if it is neuropathy, there are meds and treatments for the pain.

Closed Thread