It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2010, 04:44 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User
Love Tuna but taste has changed

Just wondering if anyone else feels the same about Tuna. Being diabetic I always ate tuna plain with red vinegar on it on salads or sometimes with a little mayo.
But it just seems the last few years the tuna is going down hill as far as taste. I mean once in a while we always got a fishy can or it really smelled fishy. But now it seem like all the tuna taste awful to me or smells really too fishy.
I even wrote the company asking them and they said oh I probably got a can that had a deep catch tuna which changes the flavor???? I never heard of anything silly. And for 30 years I never had problems with tuna except now and then as mentioned.
I don't even buy it anymore because I wind up throwing it out. And I ate so much of it before for a meal. Now I am at a loss of what to replace it with. But I really wondered if others noticed this also...
X Tuna Lover

Old 08-16-2010, 06:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User
Re: Love Tuna but taste has changed

sunshine12: I agree! I used to be a big tuna lover and I can't take it anymore. The only thing that I think has changed, and I could be wrong, is that they put it in Soybean Oil now. Soybeans are a phytoestrogen. Soy increases estrogen in your body. I have estrogen dominance and the tuna with the soy increases the estrogen in me which isn't good. I have to take progesterone along with some other meds to get my estrogen levels down.

I also wonder about the oceans where they catch the tuna, too. It's all contaminated as far as I'm concerned.

I buy salmon at the market and cook it and have enough left over to make it up like tuna fish. It's just as good and has good omega 3's in it for us. They also sell canned salmon which I haven't used as much.

Last edited by 92261; 08-16-2010 at 06:46 AM. Reason: typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
(female)

Kendra01 HB UserKendra01 HB User

OMG! I cannot believe someone else has had the same experience with tuna! I thought it was me! For the last year I have not enjoyed the tuna I bought. I saw that it had soybean oil which ticks me off since soybean oil really gives me super gas, but I ate it anyway. It was the taste that was off. I even get the premium tuna too.

I even found a brand that does not have soybean oil. It didn't taste good either. I have given up. Whatever the cause, I hate it.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well I am glad I am not the only one!! I never noticed the oil was soy now but I did notice it wasn't as oiley as it used to be and more watery.
I have tried allof them and yeech!
I sent them a letter on line complaining about it, wish I had read this first. It is probably cheaper to use soy oil!! Too bad cause I really loved tuna.
Salmon is like $8.00 here in Florida so I haven't bought too much of it. But will give it a try like tuna, might just be my answer.

Maybe if we get everyone to complain....it will get better. At least it isn't just me but sure we all liked it.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

My husband and I were always big tuna fans, but for the past 2 years have noticed a huge difference in the taste. At first I thought it was just me, as I am VERY picky about things, but when he mentioned it I knew it wasn't me.

Like others, we have tried several different brands and none seem to taste right. Living on a fixed income doesn't give us the pleasure of too much salmon, but when on sale, we will buy a can or two. Never even looked to see whether it had soy oil or not, but maybe that is the problem. JJ

Old 08-17-2010, 02:56 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Just wondering...have any of you tried water-packed tuna? I've used water-packed for years, and I haven't noticed any difference in the taste lately.

Ruth

Old 08-17-2010, 02:59 PM   #7
(female)

leonap HB User

Oh yes! I am a vegetarian so I dont eat tuna,but every once in a while I will open a can for my mother and it smells so incredibly fishy now-allmost like my cats food.Ewww.I dont know why-I thought it was me until my mother brought up that different varieties stink.She said not to buy the store brands or generic.Only the name brands.They all seem to stink to me,but the name brands dont smell so strong.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:12 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamQKitty View Post
Just wondering...have any of you tried water-packed tuna? I've used water-packed for years, and I haven't noticed any difference in the taste lately.

Ruth
I mostly use the water packed tuna and still can't stand it. Don't know what it is, but it just doesn't taste right. I've tried almost every major brand but can't find any to my liking. JJ

Old 08-19-2010, 05:12 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I was also trying the water packed tuna and even the texture was sometimes different. So I went back to oil but that didn't help. Smell and taste is different and not likeable.

When you look at the history of BB tuna on line you see that it has changed hands several time over the years. So probably it has had changes to the processing of it or the oil used to cut back.

At least now I am going to stop trying to find a good can cause they never show up and getting to costly to not like it at all. And all these posts seem to be saying the same Yeech!!!! It was such a good sandwich or salad extra!

Closed Thread