It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
(male)

jmc83 HB User
Extreme weight loss from diabetes, or could it be somethinng else.

Back in Oct 09 I began showing signs of diabetes with dry mouth, going to the bathroom several times a day and started losing a little weight. In Nov 09 I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I am not insulin dependent and take one 500mg metformin everyday. From the day I was diagnosed I said it was gonna be a good chance for me to lose some weight. I weighed 220 lbs the day I was diagnosed. From there I began a low cal low carb diet along w/ eating at the same time everyday and went walking 5 days a week. My diet before that consited of eating nothing but junk, fast food, tons of soda, etc... I have been sticking to this routine ever since btw. So after switching to my new diet I noticed the weight was coming off me at a quick rate. Within about 4-5 months I was down in the 150-160 lbs range. During that time by blood sugars remained pretty steady with the occasional spike here and there but all fasting levels were good and post meal readings were pretty good (below 120). My weight has (or at least I thought) has plateaued at around 157 for a couple of months. But I've been noticing lately that my weight has slowly been dropping again with a pound here and there. I'm now at about 153 lbs and I'm starting to worry about it. I guess I should've mentioned that I'm a hypocondriac and this stuff sits heavy on my mind all day. My biggest fear is that my rapid weight loss and the newly achieved weight loss is not from my diet but from something else like a cancer or something else that I'm unaware of. I haven't really been showing any signs of anything else other than weight loss, but I did have some weird bowel issues for a bit but I figured that was just because of the change in diet and now it seems to have gone away for the most part. I've been to the doctor a few times and he didn't seem too concerned about it but I'm almost half tempted to get a 2nd opinion.

So my question is, should I be concerned about this or is my body still adjusting? Has anyone else had this same concern?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2010, 11:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Extreme weight loss from diabetes, or could it be somethinng else.

I doubt you have anything to worry about or the Dr. would have said something. Seeing you have changed your diet and been walking is probably why the loss.

When I was put on Met last Aug. I also started losing weight and I feel much better. I went from 145 to 130 which is a good weight for me. As far as the bowel issues, that is fairly common with Metformin. I had about 3-4 days of bowel issues and idigestion, but nothing serious. Most people have it.

AS long as you feel good and your readings are decent, I wouldn't get upset at all, sounds like the changes did you good.

Good luck....JJ

Old 08-19-2010, 11:11 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: Extreme weight loss from diabetes, or could it be somethinng else.

Hi and welcome. While I'm not a doc, I am pretty sure that your weight loss is due to the diabetes. Given the d diagnosis, the odds of cancer or anything else is miniscule. The only thing you might want to think about (don't panic, now) is whether you are a type 1 or a type 2 diabetic. Have you been checked for antibodies? Of course, it is quite possible that the weight loss is simply your body adjusting.

Keep us posted.

Closed Thread