It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2010, 10:07 AM   #1
(female)

dawnjyc HB User
Depression, diabetes and fresh fruit...help

Iwas diagnosed type 2 back in October of last year. I was put on Metformin and even attended a few nutritional classes...but my mind was not in the right place. During that time I also was diagnosed with a benign tumor on the right side of my brain stem and then a few months later lost my job due to a layoff (and the economy is getting better-HA!) Anyway, I fell into a very serious depression and in doing so hit the self destruct button pretty hard. I stopped taking my meds and stopped monitoring my blood sugars and did not pay attention to anything I ate. Depression got so bad that I thought I was headed for a breakdown so I sought help of a therapist and am going to get on meds next week. My therapist urged that I add things back to my life slowly and stated that my medication and monitoring my sugars should be the very first thing. So I complied..a little half assed but I did. My wake up call though was the other evening when my bloodsugar spiked from 410 to 515 in less than an hour. My teenage son was horrifed and asked if he needed to call an ambulance....and then I realized this isn't just about me. If I didn't do something quick...well I went to bed that night thinking about my liver, pancreas, heart, and kidneys. I am 38...too young to kill myself with this disease and when I woke the next morning and my sugar was a whopping 327 I decided to get very very serious. I cleaned out my freezer, fridge and cabinets and went shopping. I purchased veggies, lean meats, and nuts and fresh fruit....but I forgot about the sugars in fruit. Is it ok to eat fresh fruit as a diabetic? I purchased strawberries, raspberries, white peaches, banana's and tangerines...am I on the right path?

Last edited by dawnjyc; 08-20-2010 at 10:16 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2010, 02:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: Depression, diabetes and fresh fruit...help

There is an expression that says "eat to your meter". So, try a small portion of fruit and 2 hours after you eat, see what your glucose is. Some fruits may not work for you at all, some you will be able to eat small amounts, and others you will be able to eat in larger quantities. Everybody is different so you will have to see what works for you. Many folks have success with a lot of different berries and the nice thing is that you can get them frozen during the winter.

Best of luck.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:15 PM   #3
(female)

dawnjyc HB User

Thank you Cora. That makes sense but I think because I am working so hard to get my sugars down right now that I am afraid to eat anything that could spike them back up. I will definitely try that after I get them regulated better. It would be really nice to eat some fruit

Old 08-20-2010, 07:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

Dawn, don't forget that you have to live. Even if bit of fruit spikes you at first, you still need nutrition and you will have to find out sooner or later what you can and can't eat. Life is to be enjoyed (within reason, of course). So don't be afraid to try a small bit of something and then test to see how it goes.

Best of luck.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:47 AM   #5
(female)

Kendra01 HB UserKendra01 HB User

Are you sure you are a Tpye II diabetic? The reason I ask is that I was initially diagnosed with Type II by my GP. When pills and diet had no effect on me at all, I saw an Endocinologist, who diagnosed with with Type I. I was 38, thin, and active. I started insulin and brought my blood sugars down immediately. With Type I's you just don't make insulin.

It's just a thought, but keep it in mind. Your blood sugar levels seem awfully high for a type II, but I'm no expert. At any rate, good luck with your program.

I just started a low fat, low sodium diet. Man it is difficult to find low fat and low sodium. I bought lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. I dont worry too much about the fruits because I can take insulin to cover the carbs as long as it's nothing too crazy. I avoid oranges, although they have a low carb orange juice now that's pretty good.

Closed Thread