It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2010, 02:25 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

patty6789 HB Userpatty6789 HB User
Question Allergy meds that don't increase glucose levels?

I was told that decongestants and other cold meds can increase glucose levels. I suffer from horrible allergies and have been TRYING to avoid these things until I go back to the dr. next week to ask about it.

I USED to take both sudafed for congestion and benedryl for runny nose/sneezing.

If you have allergies, what do you take?

(Yes, I intend to ask the dr., but it would be nice to hear from others.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2010, 08:29 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User
Re: Allergy meds that don't increase glucose levels?

If you read the ingredients list, and see pseudoepinepherine, it will raise your glucose levels if you take it. If it doesn't contain that, you're generally okay.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2010, 08:59 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrunner79 View Post
If you read the ingredients list, and see pseudoepinepherine, it will raise your glucose levels if you take it. If it doesn't contain that, you're generally okay.

Thanks, I was also told to avoid decongestants that don't contain pseudoepinepherine like the newer Sudafed?? I am just sittting back waiting for a nice hard frost to kill off the stuff that make me sneeze!!

Old 10-24-2010, 09:42 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User

These are the ingredients you want to avoid. Pseudoephinepherine, pseudophidrine, epinephrine, and phenylephrine. All of those will increase blood glucose levels, releasing from the liver. Any "epinephrine" class of compounds will do this.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:05 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Thanks a bunch!!

Old 10-24-2010, 03:17 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Anything with a "D" component would be a no. Benedryl, regular zyrtec, claritin, etc should be fine. For congestion, try saline sprays and rinses. They should help and are OK for you to use.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:41 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Anything with a "D" component would be a no. Benedryl, regular zyrtec, claritin, etc should be fine. For congestion, try saline sprays and rinses. They should help and are OK for you to use.
EWWWW, you want me to spray crap up my nose??!! LOL I would deal with the congestion if I could still take the bendryl or reg. zyrtec for the sneezing and running nose.

The nurse that did my diabetic education said no to those too?? I will be seeing the dr. later this week, hopefully she will green light the zyrtec. I know that the last time I was in to see her, (when diagnosed with T2 3 1/2 weeks ago) my blood pressure was border line high and THAT can be because of the allergy meds...so I am trying to abstain until she at least says my blood pressure is back in line.

Closed Thread