It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2010, 02:58 AM   #1
(male)

JAYKAN1 HB User
Question Does anyone know why metformin does not work as well as Glipizide for me?

I have been using metformin 500mg once a day at dinner time for almost 2 years. I was comparing my numbers before starting metformin with the numbers afterwards and I do not see much of a difference. Before start of metformin my A1C was 6.5 and after 2 months still it was 6.5 then my Doctor add 2.5mg Glipizide at breakfast time my A1C moved down to 6.2 in 2 months. Then I had a new doctor and he told me just use the metformin and after almost 2 years my A1C is 6.7. I know if I use only 2.5mg Glipizide per day it can bring my numbers down but my doctor believes if we need more medicine we should add more metformin befor adding Glipizide.
I recently used 2- 500mg metformin per day for a month and again I did not notice much of a difference in my daily numbers. I have gone back to 500 mg metformin per day and trying to use foods with lower GI and I can see the difference. Does anyone know why Glipizide is working better than metformin for my body.

Thanks,

Last edited by JAYKAN1; 11-20-2010 at 03:03 AM.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Does anyone know why metformin does not work as well as Glipizide for me?

Glipizide is a sulfonylurea drug, and they work by forcing the pancreas to produce more insulin, rather than by decreasing the insulin resistance. Unfortunately, the use of sulfonylureas can actually accelerate the wearing out of the insulin-producing cells, and can cause one to need insulin sooner, rather than later. If decent results (and an A1c of 6.7 is still pretty decent) can be achieved without sulfonylureas, then that is definitely a better way to go.

You mentioned that you had increased the metformin for only a month, and you mentioned that you didn't see much improvement in your daily numbers. First of all, your individual blood stick tests only capture a few moments in the day...they don't capture what your bg was doing 24/7. It would be much better to try the increased metformin for at least 3 months, and have an A1c at the end of that time to determine if, in fact, it was actually helping. If not, then glipizide might be needed, but only if your A1c keeps creeping up, and especially if you start getting closer to 7.0.

Ruth

Last edited by SamQKitty; 11-20-2010 at 10:44 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to SamQKitty For This Useful Post:
JAYKAN1 (11-21-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread