It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2011, 11:00 PM   #1
(female)

Hismouse HB User
What type am I

I found out I was a Diabetic in 1972,,I was thirsty all the time, tired and so very thin.. 89lbs.. I took a urine test for a job, and sugar showed,, how high it was, I haven't a clue, I was 16 yrs old. I became very sick at 19 and was put on oral med, and did this for yrs... only had 1 low.. then onto Insulin... and this lasted til I got sick of being sick. I quit it. and over the next 10 yrs I was watching my BS and my A1c climb, I have been back on Insulin for 2 yrs.
I am 54, and take 1 shot in the am 11 units of Novolin N and at Dinner time 11 units. I know I need more, my goal is 100 am, it never gets closer than the teens. But I am without medical ins and no dr.. so I am cruising on my own..

So am I a 1.5 being diagnosed with such low weight at that time, or a Mody 2 or a Type 2 at 16 and 89 lbs, I had a strep throat at age 14 and it turned into a worse infection, my heart got damaged, and I have always thought my pancreas did also.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2011, 10:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User
Re: What type am I

Hismouse: It sounds like you were a type 1 if you were diagnosed at 16 years old and after being sick with strep throat. T1 is an autoimmune disorder which is usually brought on after an illness.

You've got a big gap in times here between age 29 and 54.

I'm amazed you've been dealing with this on your own and don't have a doctor. Did you ever inquire with Social Security to see if you can get some Medicaid benefits? Do you have any free clinics in your area that could help you out? You can also contact the ADA and ask for some help. How do you get your insulin if you don't have a doctor?

An endocrinologist is the best doctor for you to see if you can find one. The doctor is the only one that is going to be able to tell you if you're a T1 or T2. This isn't an illness to fool around with. There's medical care out there somewhere for you. You just have to find the right door to get your foot in. This is one reason why this country needs a universal healthcare plan that is good for everyone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
(female)

nycdmt1 HB User

I agree with the above, but am 99% sure you're type 1 which means you NEED insulin to LIVE, so it's not making you sick and you can't just decide to go off of it. Please see a Dr ASAP and get this under control for your sake.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:05 PM   #4
(female)

jane2010 HB User

The only way to know if you are type 1 is to have an islet cell antibody, anti-gad antibody & a c-peptide. If 1st 2 are neg & 2nd normal you are NOT a type 1. I would then request a mody genetics test. There are several types of MODY. MODY can also be diagnosed off clinical record using blood work & symptoms. The symptoms are low need for insulin after long time, high triglycerides, low colesterol & mid body fat that doesn't go away. MODY 3 liver adenomas. Do a google search for MODY & you will find lots of great info.

My situation is just like yours except I was diagnosed with type 1 at 13. I've been tested with the above 1st set of tests & mine were neg/norm although I have to scream & cuss out the doctor who was lecturing me on how to control my diabetes before he would run the tests to shut me up. He never admitted I was right or that I needed more tests. Time for a new doctor! No doctor would listen to me until they were talking liver transplant then finally I'm getting MODY testing. I aways knew I wasn't type 1 because after my daughter was born I nursed her & needed no insulin or meds for the entire 10 months! I've been tested from everything from all heps to wilson's disease, hemocromatosis, neuroendrocine tumors & all neg. They finally admitted that my adenomas are genetic. MODY is all that's left that explains all my symptoms. I'm now 35 with liver adenomastosis for 22 years & diabetes for 21 years. I think it's really time for a proper diagnosis!

Good Luck

Let me know if I can be more help,
Jane

Closed Thread