It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2011, 12:35 PM   #1
(female)

hh7027 HB User
Diabetes Number Chart

Hi,

I am not sure where to look for a chart that would have the different numbers for blood levels ...but I was curious if anyone had access to a chart with the different numbers we should be at after testing/ before testing, with fasting/ not fasting.

I for example didn't eat from 3:45 ish in the afternoon of yesterday, and then I checked my blood around 10 20 ish today and my level was at 144.

I had about 70 grams of sugar (a year ago this nutritionist told me to intake about 70 grams of sugar [she said coke but I drank juice]), and 2 hours later, at 12:25 ish, I was at 158.

I don't really know what all of this means, but it doesn't look too good to me

How many hours should be the fasting for? Would it have a negative impact if you fast for longer hours (like I did)? Does anyone have a guide for testing yourself at home? I have tried looking but unsuccessful so far.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Diabetes Number Chart

Have no idea about a chart except one that tells you what your A1c number reflects. Only thing my Dr. told me is...morning fasting should be between 80-110 and 2 hrs. after a full meal, like dinner would be about 120-130. Of course lower is better but that range satisfies her.

Why didn't you eat anything from late yesterday afternoon till late this morning? Your better off eating 3 decent meals a day and 2 small snacks in between. I know if I go to bed hungry and no snack, my morning numbers will be higher then if I snack an hr. before bed. Many times if you fast too long the body can get the feeling it is starving and your numbers will go up, or you may get dehydrated and that will cause them to go up.

Have no idea who told you to eat 70 grams of sugar especially if you were at 144... Anything like soda and juices are usually used if you go low to bring your numbers up.

Usually a fasting is about 8 hrs. that is why if you go for blood work they tell you to fast overnight but then I usually go about 8:30 to the lab. Are you on any meds. and how long have you been Diabetic?

Time to talk to your Dr. or a GOOD nutritionist for some better eating habits...JJ

BTW...that nutritionist may have meant 70 grams a day...not all at once!!!

Last edited by JJ; 01-04-2011 at 03:46 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
(female)

Hismouse HB User

Did you think a fasting fo 144 meant you were low, this is not low, it is high for a fasting. I am not surprised that 70 grams of sugar send it up..

Are you on meds, and have you been told your a diabetic?

A fasting is your am BS after sleeping 8-12 hrs...take when you get up..

maybe someone can help here with am numbers and so on... I have been told to keep mine at certain numbers but I am on Insulin.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
(male)

ThoseBackPages HB User

anything over 140 for any amount of time is killing your insides, slowly, but surely
Weight at diagnosis: 268
Current Weight: stopped checking at 160 in an attempt to gain weight

Eat to live, don't live to eat

Old 01-04-2011, 08:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

whackedback HB Userwhackedback HB Userwhackedback HB User

You should be able to find a table of numbers at a site for the Joslin Diabetes Center.

wb

Old 01-04-2011, 09:54 PM   #6
(female)

hh7027 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Have no idea about a chart except one that tells you what your A1c number reflects. Only thing my Dr. told me is...morning fasting should be between 80-110 and 2 hrs. after a full meal, like dinner would be about 120-130. Of course lower is better but that range satisfies her.

Why didn't you eat anything from late yesterday afternoon till late this morning? Your better off eating 3 decent meals a day and 2 small snacks in between. I know if I go to bed hungry and no snack, my morning numbers will be higher then if I snack an hr. before bed. Many times if you fast too long the body can get the feeling it is starving and your numbers will go up, or you may get dehydrated and that will cause them to go up.

Have no idea who told you to eat 70 grams of sugar especially if you were at 144... Anything like soda and juices are usually used if you go low to bring your numbers up.

Usually a fasting is about 8 hrs. that is why if you go for blood work they tell you to fast overnight but then I usually go about 8:30 to the lab. Are you on any meds. and how long have you been Diabetic?

Time to talk to your Dr. or a GOOD nutritionist for some better eating habits...JJ

BTW...that nutritionist may have meant 70 grams a day...not all at once!!!
Oh, I am not sure about A1C levels, I have no access to health care at the time. I was upset last night so didn't eat and actually had no water either :|

I asked this nutritionist once about how to take a test at home because I didn't have access to a Dr. and she told me to test myself after fasting for X (can't remember how long) hours and then to actually drink 2 soda cans which would be 70 grams of sugar and test myself again 2 hours later, so instead of that I drank juice since I tried the soda last year and it made me break out.

I was told I was preDiabetic about 3 years ago (I was 21 then). I took metformin while I was pre for about 2 months maybe? and then quit. In 2009, before my medical insurance ended, I tested my blood once and I was at 135 and the Dr. called me to come back for a second exam but I was out of insurance by then...

and yes I do have awful eating habits, especially when I am upset (I tend to starve myself or eat really weird things)..which has been pretty often since I've been unemployed like forever.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:57 PM   #7
(female)

hh7027 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hismouse View Post
Did you think a fasting fo 144 meant you were low, this is not low, it is high for a fasting. I am not surprised that 70 grams of sugar send it up..

Are you on meds, and have you been told your a diabetic?

A fasting is your am BS after sleeping 8-12 hrs...take when you get up..

maybe someone can help here with am numbers and so on... I have been told to keep mine at certain numbers but I am on Insulin.
I understood that 144 was high... I am just confused why it became higher afterwards :|

As I told JJ, I have been told I am pre, and then I never followed up with the DR. Last year who said my levels were high .. and I am not on meds currently.

oh so the test should also be done as soon as you wake up?

Old 01-04-2011, 09:58 PM   #8
(female)

hh7027 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoseBackPages View Post
anything over 140 for any amount of time is killing your insides, slowly, but surely
I was told 150, but I guess that doesn't make much of a difference?

Old 01-04-2011, 09:59 PM   #9
(female)

hh7027 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by whackedback View Post
You should be able to find a table of numbers at a site for the Joslin Diabetes Center.

wb
Thank you, I will take a look at the site right now

Old 01-05-2011, 07:24 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

hh..seeing your not working and have no insurance, have you called your local hospital to see if they have a way of guiding you to someone who can help? Diabetes is not something to fool around with, and although you were PRE before, you may have now become Diabetic.

Some times there are clinics or some place you can go under your conditions for help. I know our local hospital has free classes 2 times a month for 2 hrs. a night, at least this will give you ideas what is going on.

I would urge you to call and see what might be available in your area as you need to get your numbers checked, your A1c checked and some help with your eating habits so you don't get out of control.

I wish you luck....JJ.....

Old 01-05-2011, 03:53 PM   #11
(female)

nycdmt1 HB User

As a type 1 diabetic, I've come to realize that my blood sugar can raise due to WAY more than just what I eat or drink. Insulin is a hormone and it's affected by other hormones. Adrenaline and Cortisol are two that when released, affect the absorbtion of insulin, therefore raises your blood sugar. So if you're unemployed and have terrible eating habits, these can all lead to stess which in turn generally raises your blood sugar. The only sure way to figure out what is raising it and what is lowering it is to test frequently. typically, you're told to test first thing when you wake up (fasting blood glucose) and two hours after a meal (peak blood glucose) - I would do this over the course of several days, including writing down what you eat for the meals (to calculate how many carbs you had) and then take the numbers to your Dr to figure out the best treatment. A couple of years of slightly high numbers is not going to do anything to you longterm, let alone a couple of days, so don't freak out about it. hope this has helped.

Last edited by nycdmt1; 01-05-2011 at 03:54 PM.

Closed Thread