It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User
Fasting glucose 109... normal A1c

Is a fasting glucose of 109 still considered prediabetes in the presence of a normal A1C (5.4)? My blood sugar levels have always been normal and my PA wasn't concerned about today's numbers so he didn't recommend any further testing.

My maternal grandfather and my paternal grandmother developed T2 diabetes in their 50's but other than that I have no other genetic risk factors for diabetes. I'm a 34y/o caucasian woman, not overweight (H-5'3" W-103#), I eat well, exercise regularly, I don't drink/smoke, my BP is 98/62, and I've never had gestational diabetes. Does one fasting glucose above 100 warrant further testing?

I do have hypothyroidism (my TSH is currently 9.52 which is high...not sure if that affects glucose levels) and a slightly elevated total cholesterol level of 225 (HDL, LDL, and triglycerides are normal)...both thyroid and heart disease run in my family.

My blood draw today was just routine...our health insurance provider requires a yearly "preventative exam".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Fasting glucose 109...normal A1c

I know they consider anything over 99 as high, but maybe you ate something last night that had your fasting BS a bit over the top. With an A1c of 5.4, trust me, I wouldn't let it bother me. Seems lately if anyones numbers for anything are just a tad off the Drs. panic. As long as the PA wasn't concerned don't let it bother you.

Seeing your aware that Diabetes and heart disease runs in your family, on both sides, just be extra careful of your diet and exercise. Obviously your Dr. is aware of your family history so I'm sure he/she will be keep tabs on your blood work etc.

I believe a Thyroid condition can affect your BS as well, but not positive. You sound like you take very good care of yourself, so just keep on doing what your doing. Your TC was a bit high but if that was a first high I also wouldn't worry about it as long as all the other numbers were fine. Again, Thyroid can affect Cholesterol.

Best wishes.....JJ....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2011, 06:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User

That's what I wanted to hear...thank you JJ!!

My cholesterol levels are always borderline high or high...bum genetics

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to reply!

Old 02-02-2011, 08:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

No problem ASDGRMama. Like I said, many Drs. expect everyones numbers to be low and right on target but not all of us have them. As long as they are not a concern by the Dr. then I would not be worried either.

My cholesterol is usually pretty good too, but there have been times it was a bit high, so I just watch what I have been eating and make a few changes. I'm due next week for blood work and a weeee bit nervous as I wasn't exactly eating great during the holiday season..... Oh well, if the numbers aren't great...I will hear about it.

Take care and just watch your diet and exercise program....JJ....

Old 05-04-2012, 09:09 AM   #5
(female)

bimik HB User

My A1C was 5.2 and my fasting was 97, 98, 92 ( last time). 2.5-3 hours after eating my blood sugar was 109. But I have a dry mouth for 2 months and i am thirsty, I did other blood checkups nothing came up. my doctor doesn't think I am prediabetic but my thrist doesn't go away.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
(female)

bimik HB User
Re: Fasting glucose 109... normal A1c

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASDGRMama View Post
Is a fasting glucose of 109 still considered prediabetes in the presence of a normal A1C (5.4)? My blood sugar levels have always been normal and my PA wasn't concerned about today's numbers so he didn't recommend any further testing.

My maternal grandfather and my paternal grandmother developed T2 diabetes in their 50's but other than that I have no other genetic risk factors for diabetes. I'm a 34y/o caucasian woman, not overweight (H-5'3" W-103#), I eat well, exercise regularly, I don't drink/smoke, my BP is 98/62, and I've never had gestational diabetes. Does one fasting glucose above 100 warrant further testing?

I do have hypothyroidism (my TSH is currently 9.52 which is high...not sure if that affects glucose levels) and a slightly elevated total cholesterol level of 225 (HDL, LDL, and triglycerides are normal)...both thyroid and heart disease run in my family.

My blood draw today was just routine...our health insurance provider requires a yearly "preventative exam".
Did your thirst go away?

Old 09-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #7
(female)

Raymond2017 HB User

Hello, I'm an active home care nurse and don't worry that your glucose level is 109. Normal glucose levels run up to 120. You still might want to check your blood glucose regularly. Ask you doctor if you should invest in a glucometer.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:04 AM   #8
(female)

uma_anne HB User

Hi When I was diagnosed with Type II I had a fasting blood glucose of 94 and an A1C of 5.4. Both normal.

What resulted in my diagnosis was a 3 hour glucose tolerance test. I suggest you ask your doctor to prescribe one to be absolutely certain that you're not diabetic.

Reply Reply