It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2011, 06:54 AM   #1
(female)

oz62010 HB User
blood sugar levels in non diabetic

Hi, i just thought i would let everyone know about non diabetic sugar levels.
As i have been now told by my local hospital after taking my son about his levels and they is so much confusion on the internet about these.
A non diabetics levels after food (postprandial) can go high my sons levels can reach 13 (234) but they do come down within about 4 hours however fasting levels should not go over 7 (126) this is how you know if you are diabetic or not so just forget levels after eating only confirmed diabetics should be worried about these. So if your fasting levels are 7 or over accompianed with other symptoms you may be diabetic.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: blood sugar levels in non diabetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz62010 View Post
... A non diabetics levels after food (postprandial) can go high my sons levels can reach 13 (234) but they do come down within about 4 hours...
If I had blood sugar levels of 234 an hour after eating, I would immediately lower the carbs in my diet. I want a one-hour postprandial reading of 140 or less. Occasionally, I will accept one around 160, but I would carefully monitor my blood sugar levels if I ever got blood sugar at 160 or higher, and reduce my carbs and adhere more towards low glycemic carbs.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
(female)

oz62010 HB User

Hi, thanks for replying to my thread but they is absoulutely nothing my son can do to improve his sugar levels his diet is very good which does not include many carbs to start off with and he is always on the go so its not due to lack of exercise infact he is always on the go that much even though his eating is very good he cannot gain weight and has actually lost 7 pounds which has now put him underweight

Old 03-31-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

My understanding is your fasting should be between 80-120 tops and 2 hrs. after eating should be below 140. I know some people can spike maybe an hr. after eating but by 2 hrs. it should level off. 234 after 4 hrs. of a meal seems quite high.

Was your son diagnosed as being Diabetic or did you just take him as you seen his numbers going higher then they should?

JJ

Last edited by JJ; 03-31-2011 at 09:36 PM.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:01 AM   #5
(female)

oz62010 HB User

Hi no he is not diagnosed diabetic i just took him when i seen his numbers go high he woke up and was 3.5 had some porridge and 2 hours later he was 11.7 i know porridge has carbs in but i would not of thought it was enough to shoot him up this high also i am not sure if he went higher as i tested 2 hours after since been testing him which i am no longer doing as i have been told he is ok but his levels are usually lower at 1 hour after eating then they are at 2 hours after eating for some strange reason may be he has lazy pancreas (ha,ha) i suppose to be sure nothing is going on i should just keep a check on his fasting levels they were 5.6 this morning which is on the high side but i dont think at that level it is worrisome.
thank you for all your advice. The main trouble is that different doctors and nurses give different advice about sugar levels

Old 04-01-2011, 01:36 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz62010 View Post
... they is absoulutely nothing my son can do to improve his sugar levels his diet is very good which does not include many carbs to start off with ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz62010
... he woke up and was 3.5 had some porridge and 2 hours later he was 11.7 i know porridge has carbs in but i would not of thought it was enough to shoot him up this high
Porridge can be high enough in high-glycemic calories, to really increase blood sugar levels. Did your son have anything on the porridge, or did he have it plain? Did he eat more than half a cup of porridge?

What does he typically eat during the day? Perhaps if you relate his diet to the knowledgeable, helpful, caring diabetics here at HealthBoards, you can get some help in tailoring his diet towards a healthier diet that has less impact on his blood sugar than his current diet.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 04-01-2011 at 01:41 AM.

Closed Thread