It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
(male)

calg5000 HB User
I just don't understand my numbers! Help

New to T2 diabetes and I just don't understand my numbers. A week ago I started Metformin, I have eaten religiously healthy since, and I have lost 5 pounds with some exercise. So here are my numbers as of yesterday can anyone give me some insight - I am especially baffled by the last numbers which i just did:

After lunch yesterday 2 hr - 7.3
After Supper yesterday 1 hr - 14.2
After Supper yesterday 2 hr - 8.8
Before bed -6.4
Wake Up - 7.8
After Breakfast 10.4

I am especially troubled by the last number - I only ate oatmeal, and two slices of the healthest bread around. Yet my sugar spiked - are no carb allowable.

I am just frustrated and confused and need some interpretation and insight? Does this mean insulin sooner or will diet exercise and metformin do the trick.

Thanks so much for your help.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:46 AM   #2
(male)

ThoseBackPages HB User
Re: I just don't understand my numbers! Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by calg5000 View Post
New to T2 diabetes and I just don't understand my numbers. A week ago I started Metformin, I have eaten religiously healthy since, and I have lost 5 pounds with some exercise. So here are my numbers as of yesterday can anyone give me some insight - I am especially baffled by the last numbers which i just did:

Before bed -6.4
Wake Up - 7.8
After Breakfast 10.4

I am especially troubled by the last number - I only ate oatmeal, and two slices of the healthest bread around. Yet my sugar spiked - are no carb allowable.

I am just frustrated and confused and need some interpretation and insight? Does this mean insulin sooner or will diet exercise and metformin do the trick.

Your numbers will improve when you stop eating man made carbohydrates.
There is no need to eat bread of any kind. Oatmeal is also high in carbohydrates
Weight at diagnosis: 268
Current Weight: stopped checking at 160 in an attempt to gain weight

Eat to live, don't live to eat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Metformin takes awhile to help and you definately will need to lower your carb intake. I eat oatmeal every morning but limit the amount.

Do a search on low Glycemic foods, and if your eating a lot of white starchy things, like bread..potatoes..rice that isn't going to help. Yes carbs are allowed, but you need to eat the right ones. Give yourself some time, and with a good change in diet and exercise, plus Met, you should do fine. Obviously if your not eating properly the Met isn't a cure all and will not help.

Good luck...JJ...

Old 05-18-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
(female)

susie1611 HB User

Quote:

Before bed -6.4
Wake Up - 7.8
After Breakfast 10.4

those are the glycemic loads?

surely if you google glycemic index, first site that comes up explains that one slice of white bread has a glycemic load of 10, one cup of instant oatmeal could be as high as 19.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:48 AM   #5
(male)

restraint HB User

You should eat a few carbs but its best to eat whole carbs like whole wheat and whole rice. Carbs raise the blood sugar. White carbs raise it very fast, whole carbs raise it over time, so that the blood sugar doesn't go up too much. Also don't eat more thank 2 slices of whole wheat bread (or the equivalent) and them wait two hrs before eating more. There's a lot to learn so be patient. Diabetes is manageable, but it takes a lot of commitment. good luck

Last edited by restraint; 05-24-2011 at 06:50 AM.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:22 AM   #6
(female)

susie1611 HB User

thanks, but it's easy for you, a lot more problematic for me. I know a lot about commitment believe me.. I can' eat wholewheat stuff as I have IBS that means I have to restrict insoluble fibre, so whole grains must be avoided otherwise I have diarrhoea. you wouldn't believe how limited my diet has to be so that I have no diarrhoea, constipation or pain. Unfortunately diabetes is only easily manageable if you don't have IBS...

Last edited by Administrator; 06-12-2011 at 09:55 PM.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:51 AM   #7
(male)

T99206 HB User

I have had T2 since the fall of 2000. It took me quite awhile to get my numbers under control too. I have found that limiting my intake of sugars and carbs helps AND increasing my intake of protein rich foods---turkey, chicken (baked), fish. I have to be careful when eating the above foods because my numbers actually drop after eating them. Due to an issue with Chondromalacia in both knees I am unable to exercise which would help keep my numbers low. I was on Met for a couple years but my Dr. took me off it because it was causing problems with my kidneys. I am now only taking insulin and my numbers are great as long as I watch my diet. Good luck to you.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:41 PM   #8
(female)

prettykittylady HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie1611 View Post
thanks, but it's easy for you, a lot more problematic for me. I know a lot about commitment believe me.. I can' eat wholewheat stuff as I have IBS that means I have to restrict insoluble fibre, so whole grains must be avoided otherwise I have diarrhoea. you wouldn't believe how limited my diet has to be so that I have no diarrhoea, constipation or pain. Unfortunately diabetes is only easily manageable if you don't have IBS...
Hi Susie! I've been lurking on these boards for quite some time but your and your post prompted me to register for an account so I could respond!

I too have IBS and I too am diabetic. I can't eat high fibre foods at all and have to restrict everything to "white carbs." I, like you, simply can't tolerate whole wheat breads, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, etc... and, in fact, most veggies are off my list as well as nuts and seeds as they make me horrible constipated (the worst are carrots and peppers of any sort!!!). And you know what? I eat white bread and white rice and white pasta and I still have excellent control. My last A1c reading was 5.5. I've been diabetic for the past 10 years (diagnosed on 9/11/2001!). I have an excellent nutritionist who deals solely with diabetes. Her husband has crohn's and understands how some people have to eat low fibre for various reasons and has told me there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with white bread/rice/etc.... They have the same amount of carbs, they just get processed sooner and don't stick with you as long (in fact, whole grains are always recommended because they help you lose weight by making you fuller longer -- look at the caloric values in whole wheat/grain bread versus white -- the grain bread is higher in calories! so you're less inclined to eat more because you're not as hungry. It's all about caloric intake not the fact that whole grains have some magical powers that melt fat away!).

So yes, I totally understand where you're coming from, and those who say you cannot have good control or shouldn't be eating processed carbs should get more informed!!!

Last edited by prettykittylady; 06-01-2011 at 12:43 PM.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:52 PM   #9
(female)

prettykittylady HB User

Quote:

Before bed -6.4
Wake Up - 7.8
After Breakfast 10.4

Hey there! I want to congratulate you on your weight loss! Five pounds is a great start!

So, you've been on metformin for a week, eh? Well, I don't think you have a thing to worry about with your numbers. You've only been on the medication for a week and your numbers seem really decent. I know it's frustrating because you want to have perfect numbers, but metformin can take a while to really work for you. Your 14-range reading, i noticed was within 1 hour of eating. Disregard this number because you should never test within an hour of eating. An accurate reading on how the food affects you will not be given until two hours have passed.

As for the numbers in the 10s -- all are after you have eaten. While optimal numbers after eating, in general are under 10 (mine are usually in the 7s if I've eaten a carb rich meal), you're doing well for only being on the medication for a week.

Morning readings, for some people, will always be a tad bit higher because of what's known as the "dawn phemon." I know people who are strict with their control, on oral meds and would kill for a reading under 8 in the morning.

Anyway, remember that you're just on week one and you're doing a fantastic job with your numbers! Adjusting and eating religiously is tough and the resulting weight loss shows you're on the right track. Keep at it and I'm sure you'll see tighter control within the next few weeks. I was on oral meds to begin with, but my beta cells were destroyed quickly (I have what's referred to as type 1.5) so I'm on insulin, and I find that insulin is really the only way I ever really had my sugars range in the 4.0-4.9 range. Some might dispute me here, but I don't think you can get super super tight control with oral meds and still eat enough. So don't beat yourself up if your range is more in the 6-7 rather than 4-5 with the oral medication. 6-7 and even some 8s are perfectly ok.

In any event, please don't be too hard on yourself! You're doing a wonderful job. It's a huge adjustment and i think you'll see your numbers go down once you've been on the metformin for a while. And if they don't go down that much or hover around the same, you may need an increase in dosage. Your GP/endocrinologist can help you with this!!!

Again, congrats on the 5 pounds! I sure wish *I* could have a five pound weight loss!

Last edited by prettykittylady; 06-01-2011 at 12:53 PM.

Closed Thread