It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #1
(female)

needhealing777 HB Userneedhealing777 HB User
started Metformin/Have extreme fatigue

This is 3rd day on Metformin and from day one have been extremely tired...in fact today worse...I feel weak and tired..like I could just stay in bed all day...I know stomach issues are normal side effect, but is being tired one? And how long till it passes? I'm supposed to up dose and no way going to if I already feel this tired.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: started Metformin/Have extreme fatigue

How much of the Metformin are you on? Yes fatigue can be an issue. I couldn't take it in the a.m. on an empty stomach, so my Dr. had me start off with 250 mgs. at supper time and then after 2 weeks upt it to 500 mgs. So far for me it has worked. Yes I got tired easily, but it seemed to wear off on me after about a month.

Best wishes..JJ...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2011, 07:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Looly HB UserLooly HB User

Funny I just came on this site to ask the very same question. I just started Metformin and decided to go my way rather than the dr. I am starting off with 250 mg rather than 500 because I am very med sensitive and have only taken two pills so far with a day skipped in between. I take this pill after my dinner. After my first dose, I felt okay except I woke up in the middle of the night with a pain in the middle of my stomach. When I got up officially for the day the pain was gone. Tonight, the second time taking this pill I immediately got exhausted and have a headache in my temple area. I feel a pressure type feeling and my eyes are heavy and I do know I feel unusually tired. I am very fearful of side effects from drugs and have put off taking anything for my high blood sugar hoping I'd be able to do it with diet. But that didn't work and I started worrying that this condition is just going to do me in if I don't take the next step, which is medication.
I am terrified. I am worried that it will bring on anxiety (which I suffer from in the first place) because I have been reading that many experienced an increase in anxiety. But this tiredness is dulling me as I type.
I guess it's good to take this med in the evening so it can be slept off, but who really knows. I guess I will know for sure tomorrow, but reading your post I see I AM NOT ALONE, though I do feel alone.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:45 PM   #4
(female)

psychiatric nur HB User

Metformin users, are you pre-diabetic or diabetic. My A1c is 6.1 and I am glucose intolerant. I was given metformin and refuse to take for several reasons. I already take over 20 pills twice a day for Sjogrens, high cholesterol, heart dysrhythmias, and osteoarthritis. I can't do anything about some of these but I have decided to not let diabetes rule my life. I have changed my diet from whatever I wanted to eat to fruits, veggies, no bread, limited sweets, no red meat, broiled/grilled and not fried food, limited starches and the first week I lost 4 lbs. I am a nurse so I walk at work 12 hours a day. I am too tired to exercise.
I was also afraid once I started taking the metformin I would give up and say the medicine will take care of my diabetes.
We will see what unfolds the next few weeks. Good luck and let me know how the metformin works for you.

G

Old 04-15-2011, 05:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychiatric nur View Post
Metformin users, are you pre-diabetic or diabetic. My A1c is 6.1 and I am glucose intolerant. I was given metformin and refuse to take for several reasons. I already take over 20 pills twice a day for Sjogrens, high cholesterol, heart dysrhythmias, and osteoarthritis. I can't do anything about some of these but I have decided to not let diabetes rule my life. I have changed my diet from whatever I wanted to eat to fruits, veggies, no bread, limited sweets, no red meat, broiled/grilled and not fried food, limited starches and the first week I lost 4 lbs. I am a nurse so I walk at work 12 hours a day. I am too tired to exercise.
I was also afraid once I started taking the metformin I would give up and say the medicine will take care of my diabetes.
We will see what unfolds the next few weeks. Good luck and let me know how the metformin works for you.

G

Old 04-15-2011, 05:40 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am diabetic. I used to be prediabetic. I do watch what I eat, though I sneak a bit here and there but nothing consequential -however I feel that my portions may be the issue here. Rather than 2 oz of protein I could have 5. I tried hard but it just wasn't working. I have watched my weight go up (10 lbs too much) and have watched my glucose numbers go up and at this point I feel I have no choice but to try this med. I kind of feel like a sitting duck. Hopefully you will have better control than I did. This progressed within the last three years or so. Good luck to us all, whichever route we feel is good for us. All I know is, I wish I didn't have to worry about this. Life would be so much easier.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:38 PM   #7
(female)

I too, have cut pill in half and started out at 250mg..still fatigue and don't feel well,,,I probably have side effects from every medicine I ever took and kind of afraid to up to 500mg...

I have another question: after taking Metformin (250mg) yesterday my blood was 60 2 hours after eating..I don't think I have ever been 60 in my life and didn't think Metformin supposed to lower it that much

Old 04-15-2011, 02:32 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am not that well versed on how metformin works yet. Maybe someone will chime in and give you your answer. I am just on my 2nd half and my sugar #'s have gone down a bit, but I also have been really careful about how much I eat during the day. Perhaps your numbers were so low because you didn't eat properly during the day. That's all I can say at this time as I really don't want to provide bad information. As far as I feel, this is a trial and error situation for me. I am going to try to stay with it and hopefully I will feel less tired. I called my pharmacist today and he said he didn't think fatigue was part of the s/x feature of this pill. I don't really think he knows, nor do doctors because everyone has their own opinions and most of them are not based on fact. They are based on giving us the quickest answer they can to our questions. Only time will tell. Taking it slow and easy. And not happy with all of this - it's getting me really down.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:41 PM   #9
(female)

It's getting me down too...I really want it to work out and not have side effects...I don't think docs or pharmacists know either..they just tell us the "norm" and not ALL that a person could go through...and I know the fatigue IS from this now because it is everytime I take one..as of the low sugar levels, I did do horrible on my eating, so maybe that really does affect it alot.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:47 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Maybe it's a combination of both - not eating correctly and taking the medication. Last night I took my 2nd half pill and within an hour or so I felt very tired, woozy and weird. I was with friends and thought they were going to think I was poly drugged. I am, as I said, anti medication but got so scared when my numbers increased that I realized it's now or never - I really need to be on this medication. I have watched my numbers climb so I'd be a moron to just let this go on. I don't want to take it, and I sincerely hope and pray that I will be able to adjust because going my original route, trying to watch what I eat, and light exercise just doesn't do it any longer. I have read that it's very normal, and likely, that the numbers rise as you get older so, here I am, older, with higher numbers and nothing left to do but take a diabetic medication. Hoping for the best - scared, worried and really in a baaaaad mood. So not like me

Old 04-15-2011, 02:55 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

It also might be the combo of your sugar now staying lower and the Met. Sometimes when your sugar has been running higher then normal when it starts to get back where it should be your system gets a bit logy. Give it awhile and see how you do. Like I said, I had to start off with the 250 mgs. and work up to the 500. Obvioisly if it doesn't get any better maybe your Dr. can put you on something else.

Good luck and best wishes...JJ...

Old 04-15-2011, 09:23 PM   #12
(female)

I am anti-meds too...hate all the side effects...hate that everytime I go on something I can't be a normal person and just take it without feeling horrible...I too, feel "weird" on this stuff and in bad mood and don't know if that is from meds or fighting/dealing the effects..today same stuff..weird feeling, weakness, fatigue and saying to myself that's the last one and I'm going off but then I know I need to do something and I keep with it and am hoping to see a difference one of these days.

Closed Thread