It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
(female)

wildsurf HB User
Unhappy Just been dx with type one, getting weird symptoms?

Hi, im just dx with type 1 diabetes 2 months ago. My sugar was 23mmol when they tested it so it was up there, with normal being 4-8. I felt fine apart from drinking alot and wetting the bed at night... But that all went away after injecting. First four weeks went fine, started to notice i needed less and less insulin. Soon i was on no insulin at all, honeymoon period i guess. Back on it again since my sugar has gone up, but not as much as i started with. On novorapid and lantis. Max about 6 novorapid, and 5 lantis at night to keep sugar under control per day. Sugars are stable between 5-8 normally.
Recently, i noticed my periods are very painful, i am also losing hair to some extent. I find it on my clothes often and it comes out in small clumps... I put that down to hormones until I started getting tingling and numbness in my feet, particularly the left foot. It came and went. Was so freaked out I went to the neuro straight, got an MRI and it was clear. So that is MS (hopefully) ruled out. Im now getting random dull sometimes severe aches in limbs, especially legs. Thankfully the tingling has calmed down, it's the aching that's annoying and also a numb feeling in feet...Im only 19 so it can't really be neoropathy. Something i notice is when i get up in the morning, put my feet down, there is bad pins and needles which dies down as i walk...? Kind of worried. Anyone got an inkling? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
(female)

CaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB User
Re: Just been dx with type one, getting weird symptoms?

The pins and needles, numbness and pain in your feet sounds like classic diabetic neuropathy. However, this could resolve with the much improved blood sugars you have been running since having been given the diagnosis. Sometimes nerve damage can actually be reversed if the diabetes has been brought under rapid control, especially in your case, given you are so young. This happened to me with kidney impairment. A small degree of impairment was quickly reversed once I started taking an ACE inhibitor. I'm not sure about your other problems such as hair loss and painful periods. Maybe having your thyroid checked is in order. Autoimmune diseases tend to cluster together and I have both type 1 diabetes and hypothyroidism and this combination is quite common. However, it sounds like you need to review all of this with a good physician skilled in the management of diabetes. There could be an underlying cause to all of this, of which I am completely unaware. I was diagnosed at the age of 11 and have led a pretty good, normal life. I use the Medtronic insulin pump. Best wishes to you in managing this challenging illness.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaliGirl For This Useful Post:
wildsurf (05-09-2011)
Closed Thread