It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
(female)

Rxyh HB User
Looking for clarity and perspective

I feel as if I am looking too closely at this and am wondering if I can get your honest opinion on what you know.

A couple things first. My mom has Type II Diabetes and has to use insulin. In Mid-Feb I had a CMP done that included and my Glucose Level was 80 mg/dL. I am 25 y.o. and am 5 ft 8 in and weight about 138 lbs. I work out at least 8 times a month depending on my other responsibilities.

Mid-March I suddenly developed dizziness, shakiness, extreme Nausea and a migraine. I have a history of Migraines, but they stopped by the time I entered Middle School and know I rarely have them, if at all. I just thought that I was due for one. The next day I continued to have all these symptoms EXCEPT a headache and I was sent home from work after two hours no able to function.
It lasted, in a milder form, for the next couple days when then it receded.

I continued to have this on and off, sometimes with a headache (in which headache medicine didn't do anything) sometimes without. The length if would last world vary, but I could overall function.

I thought it was the stress of full time school/work and would go away when school ended.

School ended at the end of April. I hadn't really thought about it until I went to work Friday night. I started to have all the symptoms again, sans headache.

(Here I am going to mention that I work on a nursing floor and I have started having one of the nurses or techs take my BP and temp whenever I feel this way. Both are always normal.)

It went away for a couple hours and came back two-fold in the early morning (I work 3rd). I started to get vision changes and felt like I was going to pass out. One of the nurses suggested I check my Blood Sugar, but to make a long story short you have to be a registered patient and there is no way around that.

I woke up feeling the same way. At 4pm I had some ice cream and at 8pm I has a half a bowl of pasta salad. When I started to feel worse I stopped at my mom's on the way to work. So at about 10:30pm my Blood Sugar was 183!

My symptoms got worse as the night went on. I went to the ER and they took labs, but didn't really tell me much. Just gave me fluid and sent me home.

I have been lightheaded, dizzy, Nausea (sometimes shaky, sometimes with a headache) ever since. Sometimes I feel better with some food, sometimes worse. I have been waking up with level in the mid-130s, but they have not gotten anywhere close to 183.

The problem is that some of the information I am getting on normal levels are so contradictory. I have heard or read up to 110, 140, 180 is normal 2 hours after meals and depending on what I am looking at I am normal or abnormal. I have been waking up with dry mouth and I am drinking more at night, but I am working at night and sleeping during the day. Am I peeing more at night because I am drinking more? Is it all the power of suggestion?

Plus, I am being a wimp. I don't want to to my doctors and make a fool of myself. My symptoms don't seem to add up, but what about my Blood Sugar levels. Are the tests you get at the lab different than what you take at home? Could it just be a virus, but would I have a virus that has been on and off and of different severity and symptoms since March?

I know I wrote a lot, but I really appreciate your input. Do I have reason to be worried and call my doctor or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2011, 06:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: Looking for clarity and perspective

It sounds like you do have something going on. It could be many things, but one of the easiest to rule in or out is blood sugar. Normal levels are less than 100 fasting, and less than 140 two hours after a meal. Don't be afraid to talk to your doctor.

The lab tests are more accurate, but the home testing will give you an idea of where you are running.

Best of luck.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:35 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Looking for clarity and perspective

I seriously think you need a good physical and blood work done. If you are becomming Diabetic it would be best to know now before it gets worse. Your numbers are a tad high but it also could be from other things..stress..bad eating habits..lousy sleep etc. etc.

Get yourself checked out and maybe with some diet and exercise changes you can avoid meds. and if you need them, possibly a low doseage which you may be able to get off later with changes. Don't wait till it is beyond fixing. You might even be surprised as they may find nothing.

Best of luck...JJ...

The following user gives a hug of support to JJ:
annie42 (05-11-2011)
Closed Thread