It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
(female)

birdlover4ever HB User
Help

I have been on a roller coaster with diabetes for about 6 years.
I am currently on Metformin and Glipizide but take the Metformin sporadically and finally not at all recently because
It upsets my Gastrointestinal system terribly and gives me a bad time with GERD.
I have also taken prilosec for the GERD but it along with Cholesterol meds give me muscle twitches. So I stopped taking those too.

My readings, which are not consistent have been in the 200 range. I test about 3 times a week.

I just had my blood work done and have to go to the DR next week and am very nervous. I know the blood work readings are going to be terrible and my DR is going to be frustrated.

I do not want to live with the side effects of Medicines! I am tired of it.
However I know I need to take the Metformin because the readings are better with it.

Are there any suggestions out there?
Does anyone else have these frustrations/concern?

I totally struggle with food. Of course I struggle with weight always have.
I would love some encouragement.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Help

There are other medications you can take, but they all have some sort of side effects. I think you're going to have to choose which side effects you can live with, because if you don't do something to control your blood sugar levels, you're going to live with the side effects of uncontrolled diabetes, and those will be much, much worse than an upset stomach.

Can you try the metformin again but, this time, start on a very, very low dose (like 250 mg once a day) and increase it very gradually? Many people have had good success with metformin when introduced that way.

The other option is insulin. You may only need a basal insulin, which would mean only one shot a day, or you may need both basal and bolus insulin (bolus is usually based on an insulin-to-carb ratio). If you go on insulin, there's going to be a learning curve at first, but it might give you much more flexibility with food.

There are also the "old-fashioned" oral medications called sulfonylureas (such as glipizide and glicizide). They don't cause stomach upset, but you can experience low blood sugar on them. It's manageable, but you need to always carry your meter with you and a fast-acting carb just in case you go low.

Diabetes treatment is not a one-size-fits-all situation, and you need to work diligently with your endocrinologist to find a treatment that works to lower your blood sugars and that you can live with. I'd also highly recommend Overeaters Anonymous for help dealing with the food issues. It's not a diet (we know those don't work, lol), but it is a way of living that can change your relationship with food.

Good luck, and let us know how your doctor appointment goes.

Ruth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread