It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2011, 05:29 AM   #1
(male)

89MazzaUK HB User
Help, going away for a week!

Hey all.

I'm a 21 Year Old Type1 Diabetic. I've had the condition for nearly eight years I think now, I've never been amazing at controlling it - but I'm not awful - I hit my highs, I hit my lows, I've been told it's normal to make mistakes, eat something without checking etc etc.

Anywho. I am going away in June, to a music festival, I'll be there for five days. Over the years of having Diabetes, I've fitted my routine around home life, or education life, and now working life - as I work part-time, I usually have breakfast at about nine, ten in the morning - and dinner around half past five in the evening (This never changes, I'm always home at this time).

So the festival I'm attending - music starts daily at midday. And doesn't finish until around half past eleven/midnight time.

The point I'm trying to make, is I'm scared about changing my routine for this week - I don't wanna have to leave the arena and go for food just as my favourite band hits the stage, or fight my way through hordes of people and lose my spot, amungst a host of otherthings, I basically want to get into that arena, and stay there.

I don't know how to really manage this, because I've never been away to a festival, this is my first one, if ever I've gone away, I've had freedom of eating etc. Is it okay to just change the times I take my insulin suddenly? I've got a total of four days before I leave also. So would it be better to ease up my hours over those four days until they hit my festival times? (I'm thinking if I have a late breakfast and a late dinner, I should be okay?)

Also, if anyones been away to a festival such as this with diabetes, any good tips would be greatly appreciated!

FInally, my Insulin is Human Mixtard (30) - I take it twice daily. I was thinking perhaps, having speant a short stint on Lantus and Apidra insulin (Rapid acting) perhaps I should ask my Doctor to prescribe me some? Might be more fitting as he told me previous, "It's designed for younger people's lifestyles"

Thanks for your time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2011, 11:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Help, going away for a week!

I'm not sure exactly what Mixtard is, but I'm presuming it's a mixture of both short acting and intermediate acting insulin? If that's the case, then yes, Lantus and Apidra would work much better for you, especially when you can't predict exactly when you'll be eating.

Ideally, you'd be counting carbs and dosing the Apidra according to your own individual insulin-to-carb ratio. This gives you a lot more freedom not only in when you eat, but also in what you eat. In fact, the combination of using Lantus (or Levemir) along with rapid-acting (such as Apidra, Novolog or Humalog) for bolus insulin is often referred to as "the poor man's pump" since you are getting your insulin doses (basal and bolus) in a similar manner to how they would be delivered through a pump. In fact, you may want to check into the possibility of getting a pump when you come back from the music festival. But meanwhile, get the Lantus and Apidra and start it right away, so you'll be familiar with the way it works for you BEFORE you go to the festival.

And, of course, you'll want to make sure you're safe at the festival, so keep your supplies with you at all times. A fanny pack, a purse, a toteso you can keep hard candies and/or juice handy to treat potential lows, and of course your meter and lots of test strips and cotton balls.

Have a wonderful time!

Ruth

Last edited by SamQKitty; 05-26-2011 at 11:22 PM.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:53 AM   #3
(male)

89MazzaUK HB User
Re: Help, going away for a week!

Thanks for the advice!

Sorry I should have elaborated on the Mixtard, it's full name is Human Mixtard 30, it's sort of mostly long acting, runs for roughly seven hours.

Like I say, I've been on Lantus and Apidra for brief stint of time when I was younger, and got fed up of being limited and having to go home for meals etc, ultimatly felt like Mixtard was limiting my social life a little.

But you're right - I'll have my best friend with me throughout, whom I have trained so that he fully understands what to do incase of emergencys, so in that respect I'm safe! He's already been nagging me to make sure I know what I'm doing with my Diabetes for the festival, and asked me to provide him with some spares for his tent, should I manage to lose mine, never happened before, but it's definatly not worth the risk!

Once again, many thanks!

Closed Thread