It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Could this be a false alarm?

Hi,

My fasting glucose was 6.1 a month and a half ago, (3.6-6.0) just barely out of normal range but enough to be flagged in the lab report. No mention was made of it and I assumed it was no big deal.

For weeks now, I have been having a lot of (constant) tingling in the arms, hands and fingers, pain in my feet, muscle aches, and dizziness. I get up several times a night to use the bathroom. I assumed my symptoms were side effects of my medications, since I have had one change made to them. While talking about these symptoms to a friend of mine,a diabetic, a suggestion was made that I test my blood. She did that for me and came up with a reading of 8.0. The time was 7:30pm, about 1hour and 45 minutes after I ate my dinner.

My question is: could the rather high reading have been a consequence of eating my dinner, almost 2 hours previously? How long does it take for the food to be processed?
I am hoping that is all it was. However, all of my symptoms (even the ones I did not mention here ) seem consistent with those of a person with diabetes. My friend brought that to my attention.

My next question: How accurate is the fasting glucose test?

Thank you for your input.

flowergirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2011, 05:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: Could this be a false alarm?

Your level of 8 is also slightly elevated. It should be less than 7.7 two hours after a meal. The fasting test is accurate enough, but often fasting is the last number to go. A better indicator is the after meal (2 hours) test. I would definitely talk to the doc and mention your symptoms. You are possibly in the very early stages of pre-diabetes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2011, 07:06 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
For weeks now, I have been having a lot of (constant) tingling in the arms, hands and fingers, pain in my feet, muscle aches, and dizziness.
The tingling, dizziness, etc., could also be a sign of Pre-Diabetes, or Insulin Resistance.

Do you also get numbness in places like the back of your hands?

Quote:
and came up with a reading of 8.0. The time was 7:30pm, about 1hour and 45 minutes after I ate my dinner.
Blood Sugar should be at 6.6 (120) or less two hours after the start of a meal, IMHO. Was your measurement 1hr 45 mins after the start of your meal, or after the end of your meal?

Quote:
My question is: could the rather high reading have been a consequence of eating my dinner, almost 2 hours previously?
The highest blood sugar reading will be around one hour, or so, after the start of a meal. If the Pancreas is doing a reasonably good job and depending upon the body's level of Insulin Resistance, the blood sugar drops as the time, after the meal, continues towards two hours and thereafter.

I posted a thread about how I achieved excellent blood pressure and blood sugar levels, in April 2010 titled:

My success against High Blood Pressure, Heart Failure, AFib, and Insulin Resistance at the direct link:
http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=746140

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by hb-mod; 05-29-2011 at 08:10 AM.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:24 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Thank you for your reply, Cora!

There was a time last year when my family doctor wanted me on Metformin as, according to him, I was pre-diabetic. My nephrologist did not allow this. I did some reading last night and learned that metformin is often unsuitable for people with kidney disease.

I will contact my neph nurse and mention this. I may need to be tested. Thank you for your input!

flowergirl

Old 05-29-2011, 07:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
The tingling, dizziness, etc., could also be a sign of Pre-Diabetes, or Insulin Resistance.

Do you also get numbness in places like the back of your hands?
Machaon,

thank you for your post!

I get tingling and numbness to such an extent it is hard for me to work. It seems to be always present. I also get dizzy when moving about, getting up or laying down at any time of day, regardless of meal times.
I wonder about insulin resistance, thank you for that!! I need to re-read your posts about it and inform myself.

Quote:
Blood Sugar should be at 6.6 (120) or less two hours after the start of a meal, IMHO. Was your measurement 1hr 45 mins after the start of your meal, or after the end of your meal?
We finished eating at 5.40 or so, maybe a few minutes before that. I was on a computer at 5.45. The measurement was taken >1hr 45 minutes after a meal.

Quote:
My success against High Blood Pressure, Heart Failure, AFib, and Insulin Resistance at the direct link:
http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=746140
[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the reminder and a link to your thread, Machaon! Time to get to work!

flowergirl

Old 05-29-2011, 11:33 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

Flowergirl, you are right. Met is not for people with kidney issues. Also, if you have kidney issues you will have to be careful because while many people have success eating a low carb diet, this usually entails more animal protein and that is something you should not do as it will put additional pressure on your kidneys. I would talk to both docs and get a concensus on whether to just keep observing or do something. Do you need to lose weight? This might help.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:41 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Who doesn't need to lose weight? Thank you, Cora!

It isn't easy. Does fluid retention slow any potential weight loss? It is hard to believe how quickly the weight can go up or down.
I wonder what effect diabetes, pre-diabetes or insulin resistance may have on metabolism and weight control.
Does the diabetes medication itself contribute to a weight gain? Are the cholesterol levels affected by diabetes?

I could think of many more questions. For starters, I need to talk to my doctor. I also need to read some posts!

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 05-29-2011 at 10:42 PM.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:59 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
Who doesn't need to lose weight? Thank you, Cora!

It isn't easy. Does fluid retention slow any potential weight loss? It is hard to believe how quickly the weight can go up or down.
I wonder what effect diabetes, pre-diabetes or insulin resistance may have on metabolism and weight control.
Does the diabetes medication itself contribute to a weight gain? Are the cholesterol levels affected by diabetes?

I could think of many more questions. For starters, I need to talk to my doctor. I also need to read some posts!

flowergirl
Fluid retention won't actually affect your weight loss, but real weight loss will be hard to see if you are keeping fluid on. Many people with IR will gain weight. The diabetes meds don't typically cause weight gain. I understand some folks will lose with metformin. Your cholesterol levels can definitely be affected by the diabetes.

Feel free to ask more questions. I suspect that for the moment, the docs are going to recommend diet (within your kidney restrictions) and exercise.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Closed Thread