It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2011, 05:02 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

sunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB User
Carbs trigger itching - sign of Type II?

Hello, i'm 43 and have been trying to get to the bottom of these weird symptoms. Lately i've been itching all over, no rash, plus pins & needles at different parts of body. Scratch one place, then there is another itch, and on and on.

Today tried something different with diet. Eliminated all carbs entirely. This is the first day I have experienced very little itching and pins & needles.

On a few occasions tried limiting carb intake to 50 g per meal but itching didn't go away. The only thing that helps is NO carbs!

i know a Dr is in order here and need to get a blood test but curious if this is a possible sign of Type II

Last edited by sunni123; 05-29-2011 at 05:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2011, 07:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Carbs trigger itching - sign of Type II?

It almost sounds like some sort of allergy to carbs. Have you noticed any particular thing you are eating..say like bread etc. that triggers it? Also..have you switched your detergent or even a fabric softner? I'm really grasping at straws here but even if it was Diabetes I don't get the itchy part. Usually anyone with Diabetes who eats a high carb meal will feel maybe sleepy. Are you very thirsty lately or going to the bathroom more?

There is so much stuff in processed foods, especially gluten that you may be eating something that just isn't agreeing with you. Your right..a trip to the Dr. is in order to get to the bottom of it.

Wishing you the best..keep us posted...JJ...

The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
sunni123 (05-30-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2011, 11:53 AM   #3
(female)

Laura789 HB UserLaura789 HB User

It could be sensitivity to gluten. Instead of eliminating all carbs, try eliminating just wheat and see what happens. It doesn't sound like diabetes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laura789 For This Useful Post:
sunni123 (05-30-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 04:47 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

sunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB User

hi, thanks for the responses
actually, eliminating the carbs turned out to be unconnected because the itching came back even w/o carbs. i have never had food sensitivities before but will explore all options to get to the bottom of this.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:05 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

I sure hope you get to the bottom of it. Guess maybe seeing an allergist might be the way to go. Keep us posted how your doing.

Best of wishes...JJ...

The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
sunni123 (06-04-2011)
Old 06-10-2011, 06:42 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Did you ever get tested for Diabetes? My husband can always tell when his sugar is low as he itches like crazy till he eats something.

I know you said the carbs lowering didn't help much. Just try to think of anything you changed..like detergent..soap..shampoo etc.

Best of luck...JJ....

Old 06-29-2011, 03:23 PM   #7
(female)

taroki HB User

Might have allergy to gluten. I just found out recently I am after developing itchy spots on leg, shoulder area, sides above the hip. I also noticed my pre-diabetes/insulin resistance problems occurring around the same time so I wonder if it's related as well.

Closed Thread