It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #1
(male)

mjborbe HB User
Re: Thread of LadyLaine1985 "My 3 year old daughter just diagnosed with Type 1"

A Blessed day everyone!

I was just searching and reading for helpful information / details regarding Type-1 diabetes and found this thread. Exchange of ideas here was so uplifting that I immediately signed up. Only the thread was already closed.

Our lovely 3 year young daughter is in the hospital for a week now due to Type-1 diabetes. We are a newbie and still in shock with what our daughter has to go through in her lifetime - talk-about insulin shots. But proudly, i can say that in a span of a few days she herself is giving her fingers for a glucose level test. However, insulin shots though helpful is crushing our hearts as she cries in pain.

She has showed signs of improvement with her glucose levels, Praise be to God, as during the past three days she was not in a 500+ (unit which I am still not familiar and relying at what the gadget is showing). Today, her reading's highest was at 498, which is why her regular twice-a-day insulin shots were adjusted from 8 units (mornin) and 4 units (evening) into 9 units (mornin) and 5 units (evening). That is aside from extra shots required in between which varies from 1-4 units.

Now this "Pump Theraphy" I've been reading in my searches has given me an option for her at least to avoid the twice/day shots minimum. How does this work? Costly I guess compared to conventional? Is it not harmful for a 3 years old? Availability around the globe? Should I ask this from the doctor 1st?

In addition to this; Re: Rickst29 "I also have another gadget, a continuous glucose monitor, which tests and displays a reading automatically every 5 minutes (even while I'm asleep). It makes a loud "buzzer" alarm, waking me up, if I fall below 80 or go above 160. (Although *MY* alarm limits are way too tight and too low for a young child.) I know of a VERY small number of young children whose parents use one of these devices successfully.... Any particular brand/model so I could make an inquiry here where we are based? Is this available online which I would be able to make a purchase?

Lastly, but not the least; today at night time she had a nose bleed. Was a quick one and stop immediately. Doctor is telling that it has nothing to do with diabetes but they are into some urine test due to this. Has anyone experienced or have a say on this?

We would highly appreciate all information/suggestions/details/ideas/heart-warming messages, especially for my wife, that we may use/consider/take into consideration for our own battle against this diabetes.

May God Bless us all always, especially our children, and those fighting along with us!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
(male)

Tempus Fugit HB UserTempus Fugit HB User

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes shortly after her 4th birthday. I completely understand the heart break and sorrow you experienced. My daughter was afraid of all the shots, and would try to hide and begged me to "get her out of this scary place" It hurt my heart even more when after the training, I was the one giving her shots and she said "Daddy why are you hurting me?"

As time went on though, she became accustomed to it and accepted it as something she has to do. Children are so resilient it really is incredible. Now she doesn't even wince and if I act like I forgot to give her a shot, she will actually remind me! She will be 5 in October, and has been dealing with this for a short 8 months.

I guess what I am trying to say, is take heart, it WILL get better. The regiment will always be here to stay, but the fear will go away

Her Dr advised against a pump for someone of her age. Also, I recently read an article about how pumps can possibly be hacked by malicious people and have settings changed or be turned off remotely. Google 'Insulin pump hacked'

Just something to consider- I won't be changing over to the pump for her because of that article. There are too many sick people in the World.

God Bless, and best of luck to your little one!

Old 08-12-2011, 10:50 AM   #3
(female)

Kendra01 HB UserKendra01 HB User

My heart goes out to you brave family members and little ones with Type I diabetes. I learned years ago that the family is referred to as having Type III diabetes. I already knew of Type I and II. This is not a medical term, but one that diabetic supporters use to show just how much the family is involved.

You aleady know that the proper care and treatment of Type I diabetes is a full time job. I am a Type I diabetic, but I was diagnosed as an adult. It's not common, but possible. I have two great aunts who also became Type I as adults.

I want to offer you some suggestions and support in your endeavors. I have met quite a few Type I diabetics since I was diagnosed. I will tell you that most of them are very good at keeping their insulin levels in a good range. Many of them I have met in the legal profession, as I am an attorney. They tell me they grew up knowing what they should eat and how they should dose themselves. Because that is all they know, they consider it second nature. I think it's more difficult to modify your lifestyle and diet as an adult.

Someone mentioned their child complaining of pain with injections. Do you know if you are using the smallest and shortest needle possible? I don't personally know any children who take injections, however, I do know that eveyone I hear from says they have no pain from needles. I know that I do not. Perhaps once a year, you might hit a spot that hurts, but that's it. I would look into that. I just want you to know that injections do not cause pain in adults. If so, something is wrong.

I would also suggest that you investigate a device that the patient wears that alarms if their blood sugar drops too low or goes too high. I'm not sure if it's designed for kids or not, but it could offer some peace of mind to a worried parent, expecially if the child is staying with family or friends who may not know what signs to look for.

I would also suggest you look to the American Diabetes Association website. They have so much great information and boards for support too. There is also a national seminar that is supported by endocrinolgist from across the country called Taking Control of Your Diabetes. It's for Type I, II and III. They have them all over the country. It's a day long event that is very worth while to help with information, technology, medical advances, etc. It is there that I learned of the Type III diabetic.

And most importantly, try to find a really good endocrinologist. They are not plentifull. Most GP's are not trained in the treatment of Type I diabetes and they just don't understand the disease and its current treatment recommendations.

Closed Thread