It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2011, 03:29 PM   #1
(female)

susie1611 HB User
am desperate, help me...

my fasting glucose blood test has come back negative but I have so many of the symptoms that would indicate diabetes that I am still really worried. Basically I do feel hungry all the time, I pee a lot, I drink a lot, I often have fatigue and find it hard to concentrate. I do have blurred vision occasionally and tingling in my feet.

I just suspect that is bad news, isn't it..just read that you can still be diabetic or have pre diabetes if your starting glucose levels are normal but then there can still be a peak later on. and that this could well eventually turn into diabetes proper.

what can I do?

must add that I've recently started eating so that the glycemic loads of meals I eat is never more than 15, ie mid-medium, but I try to go for low. it has helped a great deal. which is another reason I suspect I am not healthy.

one huge added complication is that I have IBS and have to restrict fat intake and fibre intake (fat intake per meal can only be 25% maximum, and I can't have anything with too much fibre such as wholegrain bread) so it's difficult to follow a normal diet meant for diabetics, get rid of refined carbs and eat plenty of fruits and vegetables and nuts. it's just really not do-able v easily.

also, how often should you eat?
since I now try to restrict carb intake as much as I can, one meal probably has around 200 kcal. so I eat every one and half/two hours. is that too frequent?

any thoughts from anyone much appreciated...

Last edited by susie1611; 06-04-2011 at 10:59 PM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User
Re: am desperate, help me...

You should three meals and two or three snacks a day. Everyone seems to be different or have their own numbers. I try for 25- 30 carbs a meal 15 for a snack.
I have IBS also and I eat fiber no problem. I don't like ww bread so I usually make rolls of ham and cheese or turkey and cheese with no bread.
I like to have wasa bread in the am rather then eggs and toast all the time. Few carbs in the wasa crackers but they are hard! Celery, Hard boiled eggs, apples and peanut butter.
I use Dreamfields pasta now, it is very good and I like it. But there are otherpastas that are good also. Retrograde potatoes are work but I do it now and then just to eat a real potatoes or hash brown for breakfast.
I eat a lot of chicken, and canned salmon now, since tuna taste so yucky!!!
Test before and afteryourmeals, this is the only way you will see what you can eat and what raises your BS two hours later... Once you get the hang of it and know what you can eat or not it will get easier.
Just the price of food keeps going up and up....terrible. Goodluck to you!

Old 06-15-2011, 01:01 AM   #3
(female)

susie1611 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine12 View Post
You should three meals and two or three snacks a day. Everyone seems to be different or have their own numbers. I try for 25- 30 carbs a meal 15 for a snack.
I have IBS also and I eat fiber no problem. I don't like ww bread so I usually make rolls of ham and cheese or turkey and cheese with no bread.
I like to have wasa bread in the am rather then eggs and toast all the time. Few carbs in the wasa crackers but they are hard! Celery, Hard boiled eggs, apples and peanut butter.
I use Dreamfields pasta now, it is very good and I like it. But there are otherpastas that are good also. Retrograde potatoes are work but I do it now and then just to eat a real potatoes or hash brown for breakfast.
I eat a lot of chicken, and canned salmon now, since tuna taste so yucky!!!
Test before and afteryourmeals, this is the only way you will see what you can eat and what raises your BS two hours later... Once you get the hang of it and know what you can eat or not it will get easier.
Just the price of food keeps going up and up....terrible. Goodluck to you!
thanks for your reply, and you're lucky, your IBS seems incredibly mild, mine isn't. so I can't just eat canned salmon, eggs, peanut butter or any other food that is so v high in fat like that. (fat is a digestive stimulant.) my fat intake per meal can only be around 25% of calories per meal and we know that fat contains 9kcal per gram whereas 1g of carb or protein only has four. I am lactose and fructose intolerant. can't have dairy at all or apples/pears/honey. (apples/pears are very high in fibre too anyway)

I eat every two hours.

AS another thread indicates I apparently don't have diabetes, but I am still experiencing symptoms if I eat like a normal person, so am definitely restricting carbs now and looking out for glycemic loads. I feel a lot better. it's merely hard to reconcile with IBS and my calorie intake overall is too low.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User

Hi Susie,
I do have very bad IBS but have never been told to avoid fats, eggs etc like you have.
I used to live next to the bathroom after a meal. Since I am now diabetic and started avoiding whites which are sugar I found my IBS cleared up quite a bit.
I still have bouts with it but usually because I cheated and ate the wrong things.
I go to one of the top 5 GI men in the world and he put me on Fiber-con to bind me up and it helped to my suprise also.
I can't emagin you not being ableto eat fruits or fats, it must be very hard. I doknow that oatmeal and some ww products irritate me like oatmeal now and I so I stay away from it.
Wish I could help but I sure don't know what else to tell you. Not eating carbs will also make you tired. Hope you get some answers here.

Last edited by sunshine12; 06-16-2011 at 06:28 AM.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:07 AM   #5
(female)

susie1611 HB User

< edited > whole grains and fat may have meant that you had to live next to the bathroom. that is the worst thing you can eat (too much of) for IBS.

Best of luck with everything.

Last edited by hb-mod; 07-01-2011 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved websites, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Closed Thread