It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2011, 08:36 AM   #1
(female)

mom311 HB User
Question Dr. wants me to monitor 10 yr old son & I have ?'s

A couple of months ago I was told his fasting blood sugar was low (70 while fasting). Then last week another dr did blood work & called me to say it was high & I needed to monitor him. I know nothing about blood sugar levels. If someone could please help me, I'd so appreciate it. He is not over weight, if anything under weight.

Day 1
Fasting 108
1 hr after eating 72
2 hr after eating 90

Day 2
Fasting 118
1 hr after eating 148
2 hr after eating 253
3 hr after eating 80

before dinner 90
1 hr 163
2 hr 146
He was playing hard & doing a lot of running.

I called like they said, but didn't tell me anything but I could take him to ER if I felt he need to go. What am I looking at? Can blood sugar drop from 253 to 80 in 1 hr? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Last edited by mom311; 06-05-2011 at 08:47 AM.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Dr. wants me to monitor 10 yr old son & I have ?'s

That is quite a swing from 253 to 80 in an hr. Of course you have to consider what he ate..was it a high carb dinner? I don't know how long your Dr. wants you to monitor him but I would take a morning fasting and then another 2 hrs. after his biggest meal and also a reading before bed. Seems his numbers are all over the place. If you see a very high reading..think about what he ate and see if there is a connection. There just might be something that is sending his readings up at times.

Best of wishes, and keep us posted....JJ...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2011, 02:21 PM   #3
(female)

mom311 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
That is quite a swing from 253 to 80 in an hr. Of course you have to consider what he ate..was it a high carb dinner? I don't know how long your Dr. wants you to monitor him but I would take a morning fasting and then another 2 hrs. after his biggest meal and also a reading before bed. Seems his numbers are all over the place. If you see a very high reading..think about what he ate and see if there is a connection. There just might be something that is sending his readings up at times.

Best of wishes, and keep us posted....JJ...

Old 06-05-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
(female)

mom311 HB User

Thank you. If he isn't diabetic his #'s should ever be that high should they? Everyone keeps asking what he ate, & I get that, but non-diabetic should be able to eat anything without #'s that high right?

Old 06-05-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Hi..Some Non Diabetic people have numbers very high after eating certain things..it depends on how long it takes for them to return to normal. I am not familiar with how children's numbers run. To actually determine if he is a true Diabetic they should run an A1c and also a glucose test. I believe the glucose test measures fasting..one hr. and then 2 hrs.

I've seen people on here go for the glucose test and although their numbers were high they returned to normal within a certain time frame and were told they were NOT Diabetic.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge then myself will beable to answer your questions.

Wish you the best and please keep us posted..JJ...

The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
mom311 (06-05-2011)
Closed Thread