It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2011, 05:00 AM   #1
(female)

Chattyaholic HB User
Can You Get it Together and Not Have to use Insulin?

6-months ago my A1C test was 8.2 which was much too high I know. I had not been taking care of myself, which I know is wrong. I wasn't testing, eating pretty much whatever I wanted, and sometimes not remembering to take my medication.

I got a new test meter, test strips and got back to faithfully testing during the month of May and being much, much more careful about what I ate. I had another A1C test done just a few days ago and yesterday they called and said it was 7.7 which I know is still too high and they kind of want me to start insulin.

I really don't want to, yet. We agreed that I would continue to do better as I had been doing in May, and come in September for another A1C test.

If I get back to exercising regularly, drop a few more pounds, and do really well in eating is it possible to get my A1C number back down below 7 where it should be? Or have I "crossed the bridge" and won't be able to, and will need to go on insulin?

I really am kicking myself for not taking better care of myself. I know it's my own fault and it was stupid. When I was first diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2003 I started walking and was up to 2-5 miles per day, 4/5 times per week. And watching what I ate too, and 40 pounds came off. I went from 208 to 168. I am at 175 right now, so nowhere near what I was, but I know I need to lose more. I am hoping to lose at least 10 pounds, if not 15, by my next A1C test in early September. I really hope I can get my test number back down where it should be, to avoid having to take insulin.

So, has anyone else here had any experiences like this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2011, 05:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: Can You Get it Together and Not Have to use Insulin?

I have read online of many stories of folks who have either avoided insulin or gotten off it through lifestyle changes. You may not get off the oral meds, but you stand a good chance of not having to start insulin. Congratulations on the weight loss and best of luck.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User

You can do it if you really try hard and pay attention to your food intake. Walk every day at least 30 min or 10min after your meals just so you walk and drop the weight.
Have things ready to eat that are good for you.
Bake chicken without the skin and keep them in the fridge so you grab apiece of it instead of chips or carby stuff. I make ham and cheese rolls and eat two of them or three for lunch without the bread. Keep apples around and eat half of one if they are big.

I have been fooling around with too much garbage lately and know my A1C will be high this month. I don't want to go on insulin if I don't have too.
It's just a matter of making up your mind that this is a way of life and not a diet. Get rid of the junk and have salads with V&O not creamy dressings. Eat celery sticks with abit of cream cheese, they help. Hard boiled eggs ready is great and they fill you up when your starving for something .
You can do it just keep on walking and make better choices,,,me too!!!! (good luck!)

Old 06-10-2011, 05:12 AM   #4
(female)

Chattyaholic HB User

Thanks Cora and Sunshine. I am really going to try hard the next 3 months, so that my A1C test in September will be below 7. I keep kicking myself because I was trying hard only during the month of May, and my test was 7.7 where I think if I would have tried as hard in March and April it might have been below 7, where it should be. My own fault, I know. And I know what I should/shouldn't eat, and since I have an intolerance of wheat I think that is actually helping me avoid the carbs that are in bread and pastas and of course the sweet things like pies, cakes and cookies. I just don't eat those things anymore. And I do feel better when I exercise, so have been doing my Walk Away The Pounds again at home, and walking in the park or in town when I have the opportunity. I know walking was a big thing in helping me to drop those 40 pounds when I was first diagnosed. I'm just thinking about how much weight I really need to lose, in order to get things back under control. Maybe another 20 pounds? Then lose another 10 for "insurance", ha ha! I think it really scared me, hearing the word "insulin." And I'm more determined than ever to get back on track.

The following user gives a hug of support to Chattyaholic:
sunshine12 (06-11-2011)
Old 06-11-2011, 05:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User

Well Chatty, we all fall down, it'sjust a matter of getting back up! It's hard because sometimes you can cheat and feel ok BUT that doesn't mean damage isn't being done inside. We don't feel it, see it now but later it catches up and then it's too late.

So it's good your getting back on track and watching your carbs and walking is definitly the best thing in the world to drop sugar and lose weight. You just have to stick to it.
I had both my hips done so it;s not as easy for me to walk like I used to. Not my hips my back now decided it is going to hurt!!! So I use a walker in the hallways and walk as much as I can.
Look up Dreamfields Pasta on line and see if you have it in your stores. It is really good and not whole wheat.
Kudos on the weight loss! It's hard butonce you get rid of it you will feel better and stay off the insulin. Sometimes it takes a scare to knock some sense into us and get serious about doing instead of thinking about it! Were all human...
Good luck to you and walk walk walk!!!

Old 08-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #6
(female)

avvocatessa HB User

Chatty, I have Type 2 and losing weight really helped me bring my A1c number down -- from 6.5 to 5.7. I went from 178 to 148, and while that is still too much weight for my height, it is definitely better.

One thing to keep in mind is that you don't want your blood sugar to fluctuate a lot during the day. So you are better off eating 6 SMALL meals a day rather than 3 large ones. And whenever you eat, whether it is a meal or a snack, make sure that you always eat "balanced" -- that is, some protein, some carbs, and some fat. A snack like this could be a small Granny Smith apple (carb), and some peanut butter (fat and protein), or string cheese.

Something that helped me is to stay away from processed foods as much as possible. I do eat carbs, but they come from vegetables and fruits, not from breads, pastas, crackers, etc. So I will eat half of a sweet potato instead of a cup of pasta, for example. I also try to keep my fruit consumption to eating fruit at my meals before noon, so my body can burn up the carbs while i am active the rest of the day.

If you exercise for 10 minutes after meals, like someone suggested above, that will really help. If you can't get outside to walk, just walk up and down stairs, or around your house, but keep moving. (I would do the 10 minute thing in addition to whatever your regular exercise is).

Finally, in addition to walking, if you do some basic strength training with hand weights, etc., you will gradually build up your muscles. Your muscles need glucose to work, so if you have more muscle you usually have better glucose control.

Good luck! You are on the right track now. Don't worry about what you did in the past. You can't change that anyhow. Just do the best you can for yourself now.

Closed Thread