It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2011, 07:03 PM   #1
(female)

nicknack38 HB User
Unhappy going nuts with diabetes advice plz ????

Hello to all I'm in a tailspin right now ,im 3 months diagnosed . what causes a wide variety of the blood sugar ups and downs .I eat pretty well I count carbs and watch my intake of that but I will bottom out too much . I was told to take metformin (i didnt feel good on it ) then 20 ui of lantus 2xday and 10 ui of novolog 3x aday ,which I thought was excessive ,i never felt well .now Im on nothing and my b/s fasting is 85 to 111 . my a-1c is 6.6 3 months ago it was 5.9 .. with no meds . but if it gets to 180 after mabey spag i feel awful !!!!!!!!!!!! I was told to test 1hr before ,then 1 hr after ,then 2 hrs after
told to take the insulin and 3 metformins. im confused about this and if it gets high i walk even if its back and forth so i can get it down as im scared of a heart attack ,i already have a fast and skipping herat rate. so aic has been 6.1 5.9 6.6 advice greatly apprecited,why does metformin make me feel worse ?

Old 06-20-2011, 06:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: going nuts with diabetes advice plz ????

Hi...Everyone's BS goes up and down day and night, even non Diabetics. Sounds like your trying to eat properly. As far as feeling lousy after spaghetti or any high carb dinner, most folks feel very sleepy after a high carb lunch/dinner.

Seems like your on quite a few meds. for your Diabetes especially if your A1c was only around 6.3-6.5. Mine came back as 6.4 almost 2 years ago and all I am on is 500 mgs. of Metformin once daily. Are you taking the Met with food? I was taking mine in the a.m. in the begginning and got wicked sick, so Dr. told me to take it with my largest meal, so I now take it as I sit down to dinner.

As far as testing, in the begginning I tested in the a.m. fasting and then 2 hrs. after the start of my biggest meal at night. I now only test in the a.m.

Hope this helped some, and good luck...JJ...

The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
nicknack38 (06-28-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2011, 05:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User

I have to agreeyou seem to be on many things and yet your readings seem good. I don'tknow about eating spaghetti, way to many carbs in that and the sauce. Eating lots o carbs puts me to sleep soI stay away from it.
Metformin causes some stomach distress but it usually goes away for most. I check two hours after a meal not one because readings will always be higher that soon.
Are you eating your snacks and eating on a schedule for the most part? It really helps to even out your readings when you make the right choices.
Walking is by the far the best thing for dropping BS even if it is only 10 min after a meal or before one or even both.
Maybe a new Doc might help you more? Sometimes one that works with you instead of pushing pills and insulin would be more helpful. Of course I am am only going by what you have said above but you seem to have good readings. Just not sure if your consistant with them.

The Following User Says Thank You to sunshine12 For This Useful Post:
nicknack38 (06-28-2011)
Old 06-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
(female)

jann71 HB User

Generic metformin made me so sick. I stopped taking it and told my doctor. She asked me to try a brand name form of it called Glumetza, that it should be better. I agreed and have been taking it for a year now with no problems. So it apparently wasn't the metformin itself that was making me sick but one of the other inactive ingredients that's not in the Glumetza. Might be something to ask your doctor about?

The Following User Says Thank You to jann71 For This Useful Post:
nicknack38 (06-28-2011)
Old 06-26-2011, 09:35 AM   #5
(male)

NewdestinyX HB UserNewdestinyX HB User

Metformin doesn't work for everyone. It can make you feel sick 'down yonder'. Sometimes the extended release works better with less bad stomach and intestinal issues.. For me I eventually had to get off and just used insulin. I need very little now after losing 65 lbs. But insulin is so much more effective for diabetics. It's 'our med'. Like 'L-Dopa' is used for Parkinson's and the 'triple cocktail' is used for HIV - insulin is the med for diabetics. It deals with the root cause. For people who CAN tolerate Metformin it's also a very proven solid drug for T2 since it reduces insulin resistance and prevents the liver dumping. The finest one-two punch for T2 control is Metformin and 'insulin early'. Many will be able to come off insulin eventually. But most of the recent studies say 'insulin early' - -NOT as a last resort. Ask your docs, of course. But it's been a huge help for me (insulin).

The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:
nicknack38 (06-28-2011)
Old 06-28-2011, 05:37 AM   #6
(female)

nicknack38 HB User

Thank you for the replies... I am very consistient with going to the doctor .The problem is 3 different doctors tell me 3 different things so it makes it very hard to know what to do . I do not take take insulin or anything for my diabetes.Because I could not understand why different doctors wanted me on so much when my sugar never even got over 180 after a high carb meal . at first I was told to check 1 hour after eating and if it was 150 or higher use the sliding scale then the endo said check one hour before then my GP said 2 hrs after WTH ???? it got to where i was afraid to clean or even move cuz I would drop to 60 , Then I talk to other ppl with much higher sugar and a1c and they are on less .

Old 06-28-2011, 09:09 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Geez..I would be totally confused as well if 3 different Drs. told me something different. At this stage I also would stay off the meds. till someone figures it out. As I said before, your numbers really aren't that bad so that is quite a bit of meds.

I and just about everyone I know was told to test in the a.m. fasting and then 2 hrs. after starting your largest meal, which for me if dinner. I'd see how your next A1c was and then have a good talk with your Dr. and have them get it straight.

Take care and keep us posted....JJ....

Old 06-28-2011, 09:12 AM   #8
(male)

NewdestinyX HB UserNewdestinyX HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknack38 View Post
Thank you for the replies... I am very consistient with going to the doctor .The problem is 3 different doctors tell me 3 different things so it makes it very hard to know what to do . I do not take take insulin or anything for my diabetes.Because I could not understand why different doctors wanted me on so much when my sugar never even got over 180 after a high carb meal . at first I was told to check 1 hour after eating and if it was 150 or higher use the sliding scale then the endo said check one hour before then my GP said 2 hrs after WTH ???? it got to where i was afraid to clean or even move cuz I would drop to 60 , Then I talk to other ppl with much higher sugar and a1c and they are on less .
Hey NickNack. I do feel your frustration. Especially when you're new at this. The doctors do their best but they're often from different trains of thought and schooling and their diabetes education is weak unless they're an endocrinologist. This is where message boards can come in real handy. Though I'm new here at HealthBoards, I'm not new to D or to message boards for health. If you want someone to 'proverbially cup your face in their hands and say' "listen to me".. "we" can do that here.. I am willing to help.

Here's a list -- that I PROMISE YOU will work to start getting a hold on this disease and pushing it further and further into the background of your life. For this first year it will be pretty much 'center stage' in your life - but it gets better.

1) Make sure you test when you wake up, immediately BEFORE a meal - and for about 3 months or more test 1 hour and 2 hours after first bite of your meal. So hopefully you can get yoru doctor to approve testing 9-10 times a day. If they won't. Go to your local Walmart and buy their RELION CONFIRM meter. And you can get 100 test strips for it for $36. That should get you goin'. The meter is very reliable - I've used it forever.

2)Approach eating like you're trying to limit carbs almost totally. Most of us can't handle that. So you have to give yourself 'break days' and 'break meals' thru the week until your body starts getting used to eating a new way. But start by knowing what a 'carb is'. Anything 'white' or 'grainey'. So pasta, potatoes, all rices, all breads/grains and of course cakes, cookies, candies and sugared sodas. Add to the 'bad' list the salty snacks like potato chips, pretzels, etc.. all the GOOD COMFORT LATE NIGHT FOODS.. .. .. Nuts are okay - watch the salt.

3) Start eating 'open face sandwiches' as you're lowering your bread intake. Any restaurant will make the stuff on their menu WITH bread -- WITHOUT the roll or bread. Just ask. My wife's gluten intolerant and I'm a diabetic so we order 'no bread' all the time. For me I was lucky that potatoes didn't spike my blood sugar - but they do to many people. Find 'one carb' that's your 'lifeline' carb to help you through. Anything 'fried' will spike you less. So a french fry is better than mashed potatoes in terms of preventing a spike in your blood sugar.

4) When you test at 1 hour after first bite you'll be checking how the 'highest spike' level.. If you're under 180mg/dL on your meter -- you're pretty ok -- though one day you'll want to NEVER go over 140mg/dL. And then if at 2 hours after first bit you're under 140mg/dL then the foods you ate were 'near safe'. Though one day at the 2 hour mark you'll want to be back to fasting level which should be between 80-100mg/dL max. As you increase your exercise and your meds get fine-tuned these numbers and reactions to food will change - so you need several months of testing and retesting foods to know what's safe for you. We call this process 'EATING TO YOUR METER'. It's very helpful to do. If your meter shows a spike at 1 hour or prolonged high number after 2 hours -- you need to phase that food out of your life. Believer I DO know how hard this is..

5)If the oral meds your doc is prescribing is not getting your number to between 80-140mg/dL all day every day -- then your either eating too many carbs still or you'll want to ask your doc to add slow and fast acting insulin to your 'tool chest'. The needles are SO small you don't even feel them. Don't think 'flu shot' needles. If you go with the 'pen needles' they're only 3/8" long and SO thin you can't even see them. The injection hurts LESS than the finger sticks for testing. Believe me.

6) Finally -- take a deep breath and think LONG RUN in your head. This is a long run and a year from now you won't believe the changes you've made and how much better you feel and likely look too. Don't be afraid, especially if you go on insulin, to have a 'break day' you take once a week. For me it's going to International House of Pancakes and having my normal eggs and bacon but having some pancakes with real syrup. I use my fast acting insulin to make sure I don't spike. But it gets me through the next week with almost no 'cheats'. We have to retrain the way we eat. Many here will tell you the 'all or nothing' approach. That may work for some. For most - I don't think so. We need to 'retrain' and that takes a long time. But after 2 years of this - when I'm give a piece of birthday cake it just tastes like a whole bag of sugar to me and I just don't like it anymore. I eat a little. But a lo carb Breyer's icre cream bar is my favorite now. I have one every night.

OH-- and adopt BREAKFAST as your favorite meal of the day - since most breakfast foods, except the breads, are diabetic friendly. Eat all the eggs, breakfast meat and cheese and veggies you want for breakfast. I have a 3 egg omelet with cheese and veggies and 2 sausage patties EVERY DAY for breakfast. Doesn't touch my blood glucose levels and my cholesterol is perfect too.

Hang in there and ask a lot of questions!!
Meds: 6iu Lantus/day; Very little Novalog with meals
Diet: LowER carb 70-100g carbs a day
Exercise: 8-12 miles cycling 3-5x/week

Last edited by NewdestinyX; 06-28-2011 at 09:16 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:
Isa65 (06-28-2011)
Closed Thread