It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
(female)

Isa65 HB User
Actos + Amaryl

Hello, my name is Isa and I'm scared....
Since being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes some months ago, my doctor can't seem to find a combination that works for me. I was on Metformine ( 1 x 1000mg and 1 x 500mg), 2 mg Amaryl and aspirine daily. I have yet to have a fasting BG lower than 140.
Last week she put me on 1 x 4mg and 1 x 2 mg Amaryl. Still nothing.
Today she added Actos 30 mg to the mix.
After reading the recent bladder cancer posts, I'm very scared to even touch this medicine.
I feel like I just received a life sentence....

Old 06-28-2011, 04:35 AM   #2
(male)

Frederick123 HB UserFrederick123 HB UserFrederick123 HB User
Re: Actos + Amaryl

I just took my first Actos. Not too crazy about this stuff. Maybe I should go back to my old way of not reading the warnings that come with meds. What's that old saying? Ignorance is bliss.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
(male)

NewdestinyX HB UserNewdestinyX HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isa65 View Post
Hello, my name is Isa and I'm scared....
Since being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes some months ago, my doctor can't seem to find a combination that works for me. I was on Metformine ( 1 x 1000mg and 1 x 500mg), 2 mg Amaryl and aspirine daily. I have yet to have a fasting BG lower than 140.
Last week she put me on 1 x 4mg and 1 x 2 mg Amaryl. Still nothing.
Today she added Actos 30 mg to the mix.
After reading the recent bladder cancer posts, I'm very scared to even touch this medicine.
I feel like I just received a life sentence....
Isa, take a deep breath. If you're a 'prayerful person' - say a quick one to whatever 'deity' you ascribe.. This is NOT a life sentence -- in the sense that you will 'die'. Diabetes is what I call 'the merciful' disease, in that it can be totally controlled by us. The oral meds only have 'good effect' for some people - AND - only in combination with pretty drastic diet changes. Not all of us can simply 'cut out all the carbs' because we're scared and most of the 'comfort foods' in life are 'carbs'. I was RIGHT where you are two years ago this July 15. And my life is TOTALLY under control and waay better and there was no worse CARBAHOLIC on the planet than me at 302 lbs (now 235).. Like you - the oral meds didn't work -- but some of them take about 4-5 weeks to build up in your system. So you need to give it time. Keep in mind, I'm no doctor - but eventually I 'personally' asked the doc to go on insulin. He was thrilled I asked - because it's way more effective than the oral meds in most cases. Have you read about insulin.

First things first. Tell me a little about what you've done in terms of diet modification so far... Let's take this a step at a time..

A friend,
Meds: 6iu Lantus/day; Very little Novalog with meals
Diet: LowER carb 70-100g carbs a day
Exercise: 8-12 miles cycling 3-5x/week

The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:
Isa65 (07-03-2011)
Old 07-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
(female)

Isa65 HB User

Thank you very very much for your reply as it gave me great comfort. I was extremely scared of "the needle" and wanted the doctor to give me all oral meds possible (Now I'm on Actos/Amaryl/Aspirine/Metformine)...
After your message I asked my doctor about the possibilities of insulin. She's currently on vacation and in 4 weeks we might just try insulin.
I used to be a carboholic, but the only thing I can't go without now is white bread (having quit pasta, potatoes, cakes, cookies, rice, etc).

May you get a great reward from above as you have helped me psychologically very much!

Old 07-03-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
(male)

Quote:
Thank you very very much for your reply as it gave me great comfort. I was extremely scared of "the needle" and wanted the doctor to give me all oral meds possible (Now I'm on Actos/Amaryl/Aspirine/Metformine)...
After your message I asked my doctor about the possibilities of insulin. She's currently on vacation and in 4 weeks we might just try insulin.
I used to be a carboholic, but the only thing I can't go without now is white bread (having quit pasta, potatoes, cakes, cookies, rice, etc).

May you get a great reward from above as you have helped me psychologically very much!
Good Isa.. Glad you asked your doc. Don't be thinking 'flu shot needle' -- long and thick.. These 'pen needle' canisters out there these days for diabetics are only 3/8" long and so think you can't even see them. The finger *****ing we do to test actually stings WAAAY more than an insulin shot. You'll see. And if you get started early and get your weight down (if that's a need for you) you can often come OFF the insulin one day. I was on Actos too but it started swelling my calves (a known side effect in edema) and pushed back on my weight loss program too much. Amaryl is a med LIKE Actos -- I'm surprised you're on both. But I'm not a doctor. Ask your doc to at least let you try 'a basal insulin' like Lantus or Levemir. This is a once a day that works on your fasting numbers only. I use both a basal AND a fasting acting insulin like Novalog or Humalog which I take with meals. It give me a little more freedom of choice as to what carbs I eat. You obviously can't go NUTS using insulin to cover for anything you want to eat - because it 'makes your system' work again -- and IF you don't use the carbs you eat - immediately -- they get stored on your belly as fat -and insulin makes that process EVEN MORE efficient. So the sugar leaves your blood, alright, but it either goes into your muscles for energy or right on your waistline. So there are no 'simply answers' but in the end it IS all about getting those numbers under control. Constant out of control numbers are what lead to diabetic complications.. Being overweigth isn't good -- but it doesn't have the same potential complications as leaving your blood glucose too high for too many years. So explore insulin with your doc. You'll likely be able to come off the Actos and Amaryl if you go on insulin. But your doc will guide you. Metformine didn't agree with me digestively so I had to stop it too. I just use a little insulin and watch my carb intake.

Try to change to 'at least' soft wheat bread.. White bread is no different that eating a candy bar - truly.. But good job on getting rid of other things. At least take your sandwiches 'open faced' -- one slice.. not two...

Keep us posted..

Old 07-04-2011, 03:01 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

riptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB User

My Actos has been replaced by Januvia ( Sitagliptine). I have not started it yet but would be interested to hear other users' experiences.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:37 PM   #7
(female)

Isa65 HB User

I would like to know about Januvia experiences as well. A friend of mine is a GP and always prescribes Janumet for his new patients. He even suggested me asking my own doctor to try it out. She won't because she says it's too "new"....:-(

Like mentioned, I'm on a combination of 4 meds and besides the side effects (diahrea + nausea) I'm not noticing any changes....:-(

Old 07-05-2011, 07:12 PM   #8
(male)

Quote:
I would like to know about Januvia experiences as well. A friend of mine is a GP and always prescribes Janumet for his new patients. He even suggested me asking my own doctor to try it out. She won't because she says it's too "new"....:-(

Like mentioned, I'm on a combination of 4 meds and besides the side effects (diahrea + nausea) I'm not noticing any changes....:-(
Januvia is pretty new.. And I think it asks the pancreas to work harder which seems counterproductive to me - since as diabetics our pancreases are already 'hurting'. It does seem to me, Isa, that you'll likely need to use insulin at some point since the other meds aren't working. That was my situation too. Are you doing a lo carb diet? I did -- a VERY lo carb diet AND Metformin AND a vigorous exercise regimen and still it wasn't enough for my numbers to come in line. So insulin was the answer for me and changed my whole life for the better. Now I barely use any and have great control and better health than ever. Whatever you do - don't buy into the 'very outdated' thinking that 'insulin is a LAST resort' and a 'failure'. The new research tells us a very different story - that the diabetics that gain the quickest control and better long term outcomes are people that take 'insulin first' as a 'first line of defense' - along with Metformin. My body couldn't handle Metformin - that's the only reason I stopped it. Three Asian stuides show this.

Good luck whatever you decide!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:
Isa65 (09-11-2011), riptoff (09-12-2011)
Old 09-11-2011, 05:54 AM   #9
(female)

Isa65 HB User

Just an update --

I finally got tired of taking Actos/Amaryl/Metformin without any drastic results and asked my doctor for insulin.

I'm on 14 units Levemir at night and 2 x 500mg Metformin. Almost no side effects, BG level is dropping and I'm very relieved and happy.
I wished I took insulin from the get-go. But better late than never!

The following user gives a hug of support to Isa65:
NewdestinyX (09-18-2011)
Old 09-18-2011, 01:45 PM   #10
(male)

Re: now you're on insulin

Quote:
Just an update --

I finally got tired of taking Actos/Amaryl/Metformin without any drastic results and asked my doctor for insulin.

I'm on 14 units Levemir at night and 2 x 500mg Metformin. Almost no side effects, BG level is dropping and I'm very relieved and happy.
I wished I took insulin from the get-go. But better late than never!
Really glad to hear it, Isa.. I was pretty sure that would be your best approach given your particular battle to date. Insulin was 'thee' miracle drug for control for me and I've never gone back. It's simply 'the diabetic's' therapy'. Like the triple cocktail is to the person with HIV and like L-Dopa is to the person with Parkinson's -- Insulin is 'med' for 'diabetics' along with Metformin. In combo they're a 1-2 punch that work in 'every case'. Now some people won't want to use it for many reasons -- mostly fear of needles or, again, this mythical notion that it's a 'last resort failure' or 'you'll always gain weight'.. they're all myths. Overuse of insulin can make it hard to lose weight - but the right dose will work every time. Doctors often don't mention it first because of the potential to get hypos which are a health insurance risky thing -- but the properly educated T2 diabetic taker of insulin will almost never to never experience hypos and none of any severity.

So glad you took the plunge.. Just be careful not to try and up the Levemir to the point where you have that 'perfect wake up' number. The instructions tell you to keep upping the dose until you achieve <110 in the am. You should do exactly that. Don't try and get to 80 in the am or then your before lunch and before dinner numbers could be down in the low 60's which IS a hypo and doesn't feel good at all -- will make you eat everything in sight to stop the feeling. Most diabetics will experience higher am numbers than they'd like all their lives because in all humans the body secretes cortisol in the early am hours to attempt to wake us up. Cortisol causes the liver to dump glucose and therefore we 'all' experience some level of what's called: Dawn Phenomenon. It only has a 'phenomenon' name amongst diabetics because our First phase insulin response is 'broken' as diabetics and therefore that little cortisol blast in the am is like eating a candy bar before we wake up. There's no way to deal with it - unless we use a little fast acting insulin too when we wake up. So keep your Levemir right about where it will achieve between 95-110 when you wake up - and 85-95 before lunch and dinner and you'll be right around the sweet spot. You may have to experiment at taking it at different times of the day/night to achieve that -- or even split the dose - 12 hours apart.. But good luck!!!

Old 09-19-2011, 06:20 AM   #11
(female)

rosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB User

On the bread, check for wheat flour, and as suggested try wheat bread. I cannot always eat the 100% wheat bread, some brands are better than others. I see you have changed a lot, which is good. I still have a ways to go, having to change from emtional and stress eating, not good for anyone. Hugs for today.

Rosier
Never give up.

Closed Thread