It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2011, 01:33 PM   #1
(female)

jann71 HB User
Lightbulb If metformin makes you sick...

Generic metformin made me sick so I told my doctor and she asked me to try a brand name form of it called Glumetza. I did and have been taking it 2x a day for a year now with no problems. So it apparently wasn't the metformin itself that was making me sick but one of the other inactive ingredients that's not in the Glumetza.

I hope this helps someone

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2011, 07:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: If metformin makes you sick...

Many times different manufacturers have some fillers in a med. that doesn't agree with some folks. When I first started taking Metformin 500 mgs. a day, I had very little trouble except for the first few days till I got use to it. When I went to get my script refilled it was a different manufacturer Solco and it made me VERY sick. I called my pharmacist and told him so they switched me back to Sandoz brand and I was fine. My son also had problems with Solco but never with Sandoz. Both are generics yet one caused me no problems and the other raised havoc with me. Glad the new stuff was good for you.

Best of wishes...JJ...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2011, 10:27 AM   #3
(male)

NewdestinyX HB UserNewdestinyX HB User
Re: If metformin makes you sick...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jann71 View Post
Generic metformin made me sick so I told my doctor and she asked me to try a brand name form of it called Glumetza. I did and have been taking it 2x a day for a year now with no problems. So it apparently wasn't the metformin itself that was making me sick but one of the other inactive ingredients that's not in the Glumetza.

I hope this helps someone
I had to go to the extended release to get 'some' relief. But after a year - I had to give that up too. Too much agida 'down yonder' if you get my drift. I never tried another oral med because I think even Glumetza asks your pancreas to work harder and that seems counterintuitive to me since the pancreas is already hurt in a T2 diabetic. I went to insulin immediately and never turned back. Now after losing 65 lbs I barely need any meds anymore.

Closed Thread