It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2011, 05:47 AM   #1
(female)

jamie007 HB Userjamie007 HB User
New to Pre-diabetes and I need some help please!

So I guess my fasting blood sugar was 114 and I have something called syndrome X. I've been eating better and started exercising just Monday. What i'm really confused about is upon awakening my blood sugar may be 110 and an hour later before i'm going to eat I check it again and it is now 120. I dont understand this and it worries me.

I dont normally check it like that i am curious as to how my blood sugar is actiing to certain things so checking at various times.

Example: I eat whole grain bread, I made a peanut butter sandwhich and my blood sugar before was 95 and two hours later it was 169.

Last night I did same test with deli chicken meat, I made a sandwich with the meat and the same bread. My sugar to start was 119, and two hours later it was 142. I really dont remember if when I had the peanut butter sandwich if I had it with Jelly, if I had it with jelly it would of been low sugar jelly with 5 grams of sugar...

So ok, I got off the subject here: my main concern is if there is anything I can do to stop that morning spike from the time I get up to an hour later it being that much higher!? I take a thyroid pill each morning as soon as I wake up but I dont think that is causing the spike, is it? If it spikes all the way up to 120 that is not good at all and nor is the 110...one morning it was only 104 and the next it was 114, so it sure jumps around alot.

I'm not taking any meds just doing exercise and trying to eat better..do I need to eat low carb now for this?
Thank you in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2011, 05:13 AM   #2
(female)

Re: New to Pre-diabetes and I need some help please!

I cannot believe that 144 people read this and not one single reply!!!! Did i post this wrong or what???? What is going on here????

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie007 View Post
so i guess my fasting blood sugar was 114 and i have something called syndrome x. I've been eating better and started exercising just monday. What i'm really confused about is upon awakening my blood sugar may be 110 and an hour later before i'm going to eat i check it again and it is now 120. I dont understand this and it worries me.

I dont normally check it like that i am curious as to how my blood sugar is actiing to certain things so checking at various times.

Example: I eat whole grain bread, i made a peanut butter sandwhich and my blood sugar before was 95 and two hours later it was 169.

Last night i did same test with deli chicken meat, i made a sandwich with the meat and the same bread. My sugar to start was 119, and two hours later it was 142. I really dont remember if when i had the peanut butter sandwich if i had it with jelly, if i had it with jelly it would of been low sugar jelly with 5 grams of sugar...

So ok, i got off the subject here: My main concern is if there is anything i can do to stop that morning spike from the time i get up to an hour later it being that much higher!? I take a thyroid pill each morning as soon as i wake up but i dont think that is causing the spike, is it? If it spikes all the way up to 120 that is not good at all and nor is the 110...one morning it was only 104 and the next it was 114, so it sure jumps around alot.

I'm not taking any meds just doing exercise and trying to eat better..do i need to eat low carb now for this?
Thank you in advance.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

The jump in morning blood sugar is known as the dawn phenomenon. It is natural as the body releases glucose in preparation for the day. It can be circumvented for some folks by eating a small snack at bedtime including some carb and some protein or fat. As for your other spikes, you do seem to be eating a lot of carbs. Many people try a low carb diet and this often means giving up sandwiches.

In the overall you numbers are not bad so I wouldn't worry too much. Cut back on carb, exercise more and lose excess body fat if necessary.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:16 PM   #4
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cora1003 View Post
The jump in morning blood sugar is known as the dawn phenomenon. It is natural as the body releases glucose in preparation for the day. It can be circumvented for some folks by eating a small snack at bedtime including some carb and some protein or fat. As for your other spikes, you do seem to be eating a lot of carbs. Many people try a low carb diet and this often means giving up sandwiches.

In the overall you numbers are not bad so I wouldn't worry too much. Cut back on carb, exercise more and lose excess body fat if necessary.
thank you Cora! I thought maybe something was wrong with my post because no one could help me! Now my Dr. put me on Metformin today to see if that helps with weight loss. I am always hungry as soon as two hours after a meal no mattr the meal... will have to see what happens next I guess...I made a new post, "new to metformin whatto expect" see if anyone can tell me their tales about Metformin, lol.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User

Sorry you didn't get lots of posts, sometimes on the week-end people have more time to come here.
First of all I hardly think 110 is a spike in your sugar, 150 or 190 seems likemore of a spike, but Cora was right about mornings being high when you generally have it awhile.
Checking BS when you first wake up is meaning when you open your eyes. The longer you wait to test the higher your sugar will go. That is probably what your experiencing. Sometimes I grab a few grapes as I want to have my coffee befor I eat in the am.
Whole grain bread still has a lot of carbs. You have to find the Stone ground which has little carbs if you have to eat bread. Or just use one slice depending on carbs and bread you choose. I happen to hate ww bread but I do use it for toast or I use two Wasa crackers as they are about 8 carbs each and filling.
They say keep your numbers under 150 as after that damage is being done little by little. So it's good your on top of that.
Keep walking everyday and you might be able to stay off meds with a good diet or way of life I say. I stayed off meds for 10 years till I had a hip problem and couldn't walk like I used to. All the books say you can do it so do it as long as you can.
Remember test as soon as you wake up, you will probably see a big difference in your numbers.Good luck to you

Old 07-29-2011, 06:36 AM   #6
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine12 View Post
Sorry you didn't get lots of posts, sometimes on the week-end people have more time to come here.
First of all I hardly think 110 is a spike in your sugar, 150 or 190 seems likemore of a spike, but Cora was right about mornings being high when you generally have it awhile.
Checking BS when you first wake up is meaning when you open your eyes. The longer you wait to test the higher your sugar will go. That is probably what your experiencing. Sometimes I grab a few grapes as I want to have my coffee befor I eat in the am.
Whole grain bread still has a lot of carbs. You have to find the Stone ground which has little carbs if you have to eat bread. Or just use one slice depending on carbs and bread you choose. I happen to hate ww bread but I do use it for toast or I use two Wasa crackers as they are about 8 carbs each and filling.
They say keep your numbers under 150 as after that damage is being done little by little. So it's good your on top of that.
Keep walking everyday and you might be able to stay off meds with a good diet or way of life I say. I stayed off meds for 10 years till I had a hip problem and couldn't walk like I used to. All the books say you can do it so do it as long as you can.
Remember test as soon as you wake up, you will probably see a big difference in your numbers.Good luck to you
Sunshine Thank You so very much for your post! So do you know how this works then if I wake up at say 4 in the morning and just lay there till about 5? Wouldnt that then make my number higher because i've been up for an hour even if not physically up. I know this sounds crazy but to me it seems depending on what time morning I test then I am either normal or prediabetic, lol.

So is this normal for everyone I wonder or just prediabetic/diabetics? This a.m. I woke up 4:30 but dozed back off till about 5:20, I got up and within 15 mns did my test and it was 109 so you think if I had tested it when I woke up at 4:30 it would of been lower?

My Dr. gave me Metformin to help me get this under control. She said it will help me to lose weight which I desperately need to do! I dont have much motivation to exercise now, I didnt do anything all week but sit on my butt and do some house cleaning...I hate feeling this way and need to change my attitude and just do it. (easier said then done)

My Dr. said that I have a fatty liver from having high cholesterol and high blood sugars and that everything I eat turns into fat! that is why I cannot lose the weight. By taking the Metformin it should bring down my numbers when I eat so that I dont get that fatty stuff and it should help to curb my appetite as well because I'm hungry every 2 to 3 hours...have you heard about that?

Well thanks so much for coming to my rescue. It's disappointing waiting and waiting for a response when You seen so many people reading your posts and no replies...I've had this up so long and I forgot about it!

Old 08-02-2011, 05:22 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User

I am not sure if your just laying there, if your sugar will rise? I guess you might try testing it, keep your tester next to your bed and see what happens? I don't think if you wake up at 4 you need to check if your not getting up for the day.
I wake up early sometimes, but I go back to sleep, if I don't I told you I have some carbs when I get up to put my coffee on like a few grapes to stop sugar from rising. You see you go all night without food or drink so sugar rises with no food all that time. I keep some grapes or something small to eat next to my bed and that helps me.
Most diabetics have a problem sooner or later with the high sugars in the am, but some don't. Were all different, Do you have a snack befor you go to bed at night, this will get you through the night better also.
You must remember this is seen by many people all over the world, not everyone writes on here. That is why you see so manypeople have read these posts.
Yes, you need to get up and walk everyday even if it is only 15 min, it helps with your weight and your BS. You will see that when you indulge in carbs or sweets, you seem to want more and more, at least that is how it effects me. Once you make up your mind to start a plan you will just do it and drop a few pounds and be happy about it. Metformin is good but may give you stomach upsets at first. Stick with it because it does help. It won't make you skinny, only you can do that Lol.
Diabetics should eat several small meals a day so plan your snacks and carbs around eating. It should be three meals, three snacks but you can make more small snacks if your hungry. Look for things with no carbs to get you through the hunger pangs, like I mentioned above. It gets easier, and go read up on diabetes, you will benifit more with knowledge. Best to ya!

Closed Thread